Psoriasis coming back after low carbing

Ane

I have had psoriasis since I was a child, very fortunately it got better with time and I was psoriasis free for years. It came back 2 years ago, when I switched a low carb diet (followed for years) to higher carb, I went from eating lot if veggies and few fruits and very occasional starches, to eating very little veggies, much more fruit, some starches and milk. Before low carbing I drinked milk too and my psoriasis cleared, so I suppose it is not the "culprit", can the sugars be the "culprits"? Any idea about where to look at?

InChristAlone

I have had psoriasis since I was a child, very fortunately it got better with time and I was psoriasis free for years. It came back 2 years ago, when I switched a low carb diet (followed for years) to higher carb, I went from eating lot if veggies and few fruits and very occasional starches, to eating very little veggies, much more fruit, some starches and milk. Before low carbing I drinked milk too and my psoriasis cleared, so I suppose it is not the "culprit", can the sugars be the "culprits"? Any idea about where to look at?
Psoriasis is not a good sign. It is a sign of too much yin in the body. Fruits, sweets, and sugar are very yin. Veggies, meats, eggs are very yang. I never had any skin problems until doing Ray Peat hard core. Now I have psoriasis in my butt crack and other big problems. I'd say if it wasn't broke don't venture into the Ray Peat way of eating, it isn't the answer to all problems and in fact can really mess people up. If you would like to incorporate some of the ideas you can trial eating some more good starches instead of fruit. But stick to the foods that kept the psoriasis away.

MarcelZD

Thiamine (and general b-vitamin) depletion after switching to oxidative metabolism would be the first thing tha comes to mind.

I had patches of psoriasis (or something that looked like it) on both elbows. It worsened with prolonged use of refined sugar and coffee. It cleared with high-dosed thiamine supplementation. So I would try that. (If it helps and you want to use it long-term, you have to consider the other cofactors for carb metabolism, especially the other b-vitamins, magnesium & potassium.)

OP
A

Ane

Psoriasis is not a good sign. It is a sign of too much yin in the body. Fruits, sweets, and sugar are very yin. Veggies, meats, eggs are very yang. I never had any skin problems until doing Ray Peat hard core. Now I have psoriasis in my butt crack and other big problems. I'd say if it wasn't broke don't venture into the Ray Peat way of eating, it isn't the answer to all problems and in fact can really mess people up. If you would like to incorporate some of the ideas you can trial eating some more good starches instead of fruit. But stick to the foods that kept the psoriasis away.
Thank you. I already eat more "peaty": fruit, milk, collagen, some fish, some meat, ... But very little liver.

OP
A

Ane

Thiamine (and general b-vitamin) depletion after switching to oxidative metabolism would be the first thing tha comes to mind.
Many thanks. I eat very little liver, so maybe my b are low. Do you know which is the connection between b-vitamin and psoriasis? Could nutritional yeast be a quick fix?

OP
A

Ane

I had patches of psoriasis (or something that looked like it) on both elbows. It worsened with prolonged use of refined sugar and coffee. It cleared with high-dosed thiamine supplementation. So I would try that. (If it helps and you want to use it long-term, you have to consider the other cofactors for carb metabolism, especially the other b-vitamins, magnesium & potassium.)
Thank you very much. I think my potassium should be ok (milk, orange and other fruits), not sure about magnesium even if I eat cocoa powder everyday. I don't eat liver (just a little) so maybe b vitamins are low. I did supplement some months ago due to a pinched nerve, but I can't remember if psoriasis improved (it did not clear up).

I was a great sugar eater as a child, and I started giving up sugar and high sugar fruits as I started dieting being a teenager. I can't be sure about the psoriasis improving in the same measure, but it seems so.

I have found good things switching too more "peaty" way of eating, stress for example, this psoriasis thing is a s**t...

MarcelZD

Many thanks. I eat very little liver, so maybe my b are low. Do you know which is the connection between b-vitamin and psoriasis? Could nutritional yeast be a quick fix?

I think the etiology of psoriasis and similar skin diseases is rather obscure, that's why dermatologists are usually less than helpful in my experience. B-vitamin deficiencies can cause alterations in the skin barrier and the mucosa, so you become prone to all kinds of microbial disbalances. I had a similar experience as Peater Griffin above: psoriasis-like patches that would only clear up with a high quality thiamine supplement. High carbohydrate intake would usually make it worse, and coffee was terrible too.

InChristAlone

Let us know if it clears using b vitamins. I've used plenty of b vitamins and experienced very little of anything good on them, other than maybe less anxiety on niacinamide. Thiamine can overstimulate the nervous system.

OP
A

Ane

I think the etiology of psoriasis and similar skin diseases is rather obscure, that's why dermatologists are usually less than helpful in my experience. B-vitamin deficiencies can cause alterations in the skin barrier and the mucosa, so you become prone to all kinds of microbial disbalances. I had a similar experience as Peater Griffin above: psoriasis-like patches that would only clear up with a high quality thiamine supplement. High carbohydrate intake would usually make it worse, and coffee was terrible too.
In my experience dermatologist are completely lost, since I was 5 years old just palliative creams, pills, etc have been my treatment, nobody seemed to know the cause of it.

When I was psoriasis free there were some years when I took several
coffees a day with no problem.

I have sometimes thought if a quicker metabolism from sugar (and coffee?) could have something to do.

How much b1 did you need?

OP
A

Ane

Let us know if it clears using b vitamins. I've used plenty of b vitamins and experienced very little of anything good on them, other than maybe less anxiety on niacinamide. Thiamine can overstimulate the nervous system.
yes, I'll share whatever I do and the result

Have you ever tried eating less sugars?

TheSir

If you've increased your intake of grains, that could be a factor. I gave myself eczema on the scalp by going heavy on bread recently. Quitting all grains quickly resolved the issue

InChristAlone

yes, I'll share whatever I do and the result

Have you ever tried eating less sugars?
No, my diet has been high carb ever since it started because I didn't know the connection with sugar and psoriasis. I am slowly reducing the fruit, juice and sugar in my diet, though I have my doubts it will work. I am more about trying to consume more yang foods such as cooked veggies. Peat brainwashed me that veggies are harmful I was way healthier when I had some level of veggies in my diet vs none. I think the Peat diet imbalances the body to a great degree and then people have to dig out of it by using drugs, hormones, supplements.

OP
A

Ane

If you've increased your intake of grains, that could be a factor. I gave myself eczema on the scalp by going heavy on bread recently. Quitting all grains quickly resolved the issue
I have add rice, but previous to going low carb I ate wheat products and psoriasis disappeared anyway.

OP
A

Ane

No, my diet has been high carb ever since it started because I didn't know the connection with sugar and psoriasis. I am slowly reducing the fruit, juice and sugar in my diet, though I have my doubts it will work. I am more about trying to consume more yang foods such as cooked veggies. Peat brainwashed me that veggies are harmful I was way healthier when I had some level of veggies in my diet vs none. I think the Peat diet imbalances the body to a great degree and then people have to dig out of it by using drugs, hormones, supplements.
I have not knowledge about yin and yang diet. But after reading Peat's articles my idea isn't that he rejects the veggies, I think he agrees with some cooked veggies like tubers, pumpkins, artichokes... And veggie broth for leafy greens. I'm not sure about the fruits used as veggies: peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis etc. Anyway I easily gravitate towards the idea of milk & oj, as if that was "ideal".

SamYo123

I have add rice, but previous to going low carb I ate wheat products and psoriasis disappeared anyway.
You ate bread and psoriasis went away? commerical bread with added stuff? B1 b2 b3, calcium iron?

OP
A

Ane

You ate bread and psoriasis went away? commerical bread with added stuff? B1 b2 b3, calcium iron?
I have psoriasis since I was 5, I ate wheat bread and other products all my life until 2016. My psoriasis cleared up while I was still consuming wheat. I live in Europe, Spain, as far as I know bread has not vitamins and minerals added here.

InChristAlone

I have not knowledge about yin and yang diet. But after reading Peat's articles my idea isn't that he rejects the veggies, I think he agrees with some cooked veggies like tubers, pumpkins, artichokes... And veggie broth for leafy greens. I'm not sure about the fruits used as veggies: peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis etc. Anyway I easily gravitate towards the idea of milk & oj, as if that was "ideal".
Yin foods are cooling, yang foods are warming and have a grounding effect on the body. I don't think Peat realizes how yin bodies are today, he is very old, he didn't grow up with the same amount of toxicity we have now. Yang veggies would be root veggies, carrots, all kinds of onions, daikon, leeks, rutabagas and the cruciferous veggies, golden beets and green beans. Nightshades can be a problem for some people. The squashes are more yin. Leafy greens as well. They contain more oxalates. Especially spinach and kale. Ray Peat recommended the raw carrot salad only to sweep the intestines but cooked carrots are actually better at absorbing bile. To him anything that feeds gut bacteria is the problem. After doing the low endotoxin diet for the majority of 10 yrs I am concluding that not feeding bacteria doesn't do much for health other than avoid symptoms. I still have histamine problems, I still have fatigue,I still have increasing cholesterol especially since I can't eat fiber anymore due to avoiding it for so long, and I still have the butt crack issue.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals