Psoriasis And Red Meat - Is There A Link?

ivy

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have seen worsening symptoms in psoriasis or other skin ailments since Peating. My lower arm itch and peeling skin won't go away... I first thought it might be the milk, so I got rid of that. Now I suspect it might be the veal I'm eating twice a week or even the collagen supplement I'm takings. My reasoning is that since psoriasis actually results from an overabundance of skin cells, these foods, while beneficial to the overall metabolic picture, might be boosting itchy skinny patches.

Any thoughts?

Ron J

For some reason I sometimes think that too much protein may be increasing skin cells.
If it's bacteria/fungus, it's a good idea to change sheets(pillow & bed) and towels more often than average.

snowboard111

Maybe something you eat irritate your guts (collagen supplements?) or too much protein at once (increase cortisol) -> elevate serotonin, estrogen and nitric oxide.

The importance of NO in various skin conditions is known. I was taking a mix of l-citruline and arginine couple years ago and in less than a month I had psiorasis all over my scalp and legs.

Xisca

Yes for red meat and pso.
I do not know for collagene.
Also, think about stopping solanacea plants, called nightshade familly, including potatoes, and think goji and physalis, plus the known ones of course. For tobacco, no idea but same familly....
2 questions: any issue with your pancreas? And if you stand normally on your feet, which one receives more weight? (the 2 have to do with posture impact)

walker_in_aus

I also had a slight increase in psoriasis symptoms since adjusting my diet to more ray peat inspired. I was mildly annoyed because I have many improvements so why would psoriasis be worse? I managed to keep my symptoms low when I was trying ketogenic diets, despite the failure of most of my other health areas.

Here is my theory though - conventional treatment for psoriasis is often cortico-steroids. Eating sugar LOWERS your own cortisol productions. Therefore it isn't that peating is making psoriasis worse, it's just lowering the stress hormones which were keeping it in check. Eventually addressing the root cause (I don't know what that is for me yet but suspect long term liver health and stress) whilst keeping a healthy metabolism is what will manage it forever.

Often why people with autoimmune conditions find sugar gives them a "Flare", but it might not be the sugar, it's actually just the sugar lowering their own cortisol which was suppressing auto-immune symptoms?

Herbie

I also had a slight increase in psoriasis symptoms since adjusting my diet to more ray peat inspired. I was mildly annoyed because I have many improvements so why would psoriasis be worse? I managed to keep my symptoms low when I was trying ketogenic diets, despite the failure of most of my other health areas.

Here is my theory though - conventional treatment for psoriasis is often cortico-steroids. Eating sugar LOWERS your own cortisol productions. Therefore it isn't that peating is making psoriasis worse, it's just lowering the stress hormones which were keeping it in check. Eventually addressing the root cause (I don't know what that is for me yet but suspect long term liver health and stress) whilst keeping a healthy metabolism is what will manage it forever.

Often why people with autoimmune conditions find sugar gives them a "Flare", but it might not be the sugar, it's actually just the sugar lowering their own cortisol which was suppressing auto-immune symptoms?

Interesting perspective.

L

lollipop

I could be extremely wrong.
It seems highly and intuitively accurate for your situation as you described it. I would trust it personally if I was you. Of course could be different for another person. Someone with a better biochemical background could maybe come up with something "accurate". Your theory seems good from the level of addressing the deeper issue to see symptomatic relief.

walker_in_aus

It seems highly and intuitively accurate for your situation as you described it. I would trust it personally if I was you. Of course could be different for another person. Someone with a better biochemical background could maybe come up with something "accurate". Your theory seems good from the level of addressing the deeper issue to see symptomatic relief.
Pretty sure it's right for me, just not sure if it's the same for everyone. I just know my psoriasis is on a weird scale that makes my theory work. Extreme stress makes it terrible, moderate stress it's not as bad, low low stress + winter its back.

OP
ivy

ivy

Thanks for the input, @walker_in_aus. My psoriasis is very mild, so I'm willing to play along with peaty experiments. I wouldn't say that I've managed to get rid of stress, but your pointing out of liver health is probably spot on in my case as well. This has been helpful:

Soothe Liver Teapills<Shu Gan Wan><Shu Gan San>

The week just before my period, when I usually feel my worse in terms of breast pain, etc, I take 6 to 8 pills twice a day.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have seen worsening symptoms in psoriasis or other skin ailments since Peating. My lower arm itch and peeling skin won't go away... I first thought it might be the milk, so I got rid of that. Now I suspect it might be the veal I'm eating twice a week or even the collagen supplement I'm takings. My reasoning is that since psoriasis actually results from an overabundance of skin cells, these foods, while beneficial to the overall metabolic picture, might be boosting itchy skinny patches.

Any thoughts?
I've been suffering from psoriasis for about 5 years. Reactions have been far more sensitive in the last year probably due to herbal enemas, fasting, and black coffee, BUT the triggers for me are:

Silica, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, etc in supplements
Red meat including liver... Liver is pasture raised and sets me off worse than the muscle meat
All milk, yogurt, raw cheese in amounts greater than 0.25lb... However butter seems to get along fine
Too many leafy green vegetables even if thoroughly cooked
Coffee without sufficient sugar, fat, and protein preceding its consumption
Aspirin
Commerical orange juice (probably due to a lactic acid addition)... All fruit is fine though
Too much salt at once (like 1tsp in 32oz water)
Taking herbal tinctures on an empty stomach
Alcohol!

Oh, and not taking care of my teeth, particularly flossing.

Hey everyone,

Any thoughts?

Paul Yamauchi, MD, PhD, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, said the researchers may have made an important discovery. “Even though psoriasis was not tested,” he said, “the same immune pathways that trigger psoriasis were stimulated by the high-salt diet.”

The high-salt diet the mice were fed stimulated a type of white blood cells — T-cells called Th17 cells. “It has been clearly shown that Th17 cells trigger psoriasis,” Dr. Yamauchi said. That’s why some of the drugs that have been developed to treat psoriasis, such as the biologic Stelara (ustekinumab), target the pathways driven by Th17 cells. Yamauchi noted that new biologics are in the pipeline for psoriasis that also target the Th17 pathway.

Even though the Nature study was conducted with mice, Yamauchi believes the findings were significant enough to recommend to his psoriasis patients that they lower their salt intake. “And for people with a family history of psoriasis, I will tell them also to reduce their salt intake to prevent occurrence of psoriasis,” he said.

It is called osmotically neutral Sodium retention,and is linked to Salt-Sensitive hypertension.
30percent of the populace are exceptionally good at retaining Sodium.A couple of years on a 1 to 2g NaCl
Diet will reduce Body Sodium to more healthy levels.

Kartoffel

@charlie @Blossom Isn't there some sort of spam rule against spamming 5-6 threads with the same text segment? This guy has been spamming the whole forum with over 700 posts in 2 months, most of them incoherent blather or identical copy paste texts in several threads.

@charlie @Blossom Isn't there some sort of spam rule against spamming 5-6 threads with the same text segment? This guy has been spamming the whole forum with over 700 posts in 2 months, most of them incoherent blather or identical copy paste texts in several threads.

@charlie @Blossom

Member Kartoffel loses a lot of arguments against other members and is bearing false witness against me.
He is frustrated and immature and turns to straight-out lying against me.I am a long-time lurker and now a high quality poster who usually responds to requests,or questions for further elaboration.His Double-Post-whine:It isnt about them,he wants something different,but to clarify,so as if,small-time rage about double posts in regards to my triple post:psoriasis is a highly disabling,high-stress disease,so i want to take care that members with that condition have information to consider their standpoint.
Member Kartoffel has low-quality postings through out without consideration whatsoever and is immature.

@Kartoffel

"This member limits who may view their full profile."

please consider to open your profile,i want to get a grasp of the quality of posting you stand for.
you seem to have high standards~
You are an honest one,right?

Kartoffel

@charlie @Blossom

Member Kartoffel loses a lot of arguments against other members and is bearing false witness against me.
He is frustrated and immature and turns to straight-out lying against me.I am a long-time lurker and now a high quality poster who usually responds to requests,or questions for further elaboration.His Double-Post-whine:It isnt about them,he wants something different,but to clarify,so as if,small-time rage about double posts in regards to my triple post:psoriasis is a highly disabling,high-stress disease,so i want to take care that members with that condition have information to consider their standpoint.
Member Kartoffel has low-quality postings through out without consideration whatsoever and is immature.

I am not bearing false witness against you, I am complaining that you post the same text four times in different threads, and that there are several other instances where you just copy your text into several threads. It is annoying and unnecessary. If you think that your posts are so valuable that they need to appear across half the forum, just link to that post. Given your grammar and punctuation, reading your posts one time is challenging enough.

I dont agree on anything with you.
you are dishonest and wanted to defame me.
Now you are weaseling your way out.
Agree to Disagree?