Protein Vs Keto Acids

T

tca300

@Wagner83 100oz or 6.25 lbs is gut busting for me and I couldn't exceed that. If the keto acids can provide muscle maintenance or growth, I would have needed almost twice as much as I could eat. It was insane, and very impractical for me. I was eating boiled and steemed. To this day the thought of potatoes makes me sick. Ray thinks potatoes have about 1 gram of protein per oz of weight. For an average not very muscular person, you can probably get your protein needs from plants, unless you have a monstrous appetite, and dont mind walking around with a pregnant looking belly all the time.

Wagner83

Ok thanks .
I seem to have found potatoes that I thrive on while others give me nausea and bloating, I've even been able to eat 1kg + 100 g of lean meat + some juice/soda at a time many meals in a raw, I'll experiment some more though. I don't know what makes them different but when steamed they are "creamy/smooth" and taste excellent, most of the other potatoes are kind of "floury".
I see the potatoes as hopefully a good source of proteins that allows one to reduce animal foods, not remove them entirely (sounds unrealistic depending on the protein needs).

tyw

Does it mean in your opinion the kg of potatoes would yield the equivalent of 20 g of high quality proteins (meat, fish...)? I'm trying to get an idea on how much proteins I get in my meals and how to reduce animals sources proteins.

For potatoes in particular, I would say yes. Potato protein has similar Biological Value to Meats (about 90 for either), and the amino acid profile isn't skewed (like in the case of other plants).

Wagner83

Ok thanks .
For potatoes in particular, I would say yes. Potato protein has similar Biological Value to Meats (about 90 for either), and the amino acid profile isn't skewed (like in the case of other plants).

yerrag

It's not only potatos that have keto acids, right? The SCFAs and MCFAs in coconut oil can be converted into keto acids as well, right?

schultz

I will say that when I feed my chickens potatoes, liver and sugar there is pretty much zero smell in the coop. Corn by itself or chicken feed creates a coop that smells massively like ammonia.

I thought I would post what Ray says about the keto acids, just for anybody interested...

"... these are the equivalent carbon framework of the essential amino acids but they lack the ammonia needed to make the complete essential amino acid."

and...

"These are keto acids which are – they can be used as fuel by the brain and heart as a substitute for sugar or fatty acids and they are really an ideal anti- stress fuel but they can also be – just by attaching an ammonia group, they can be turned instantly into the essential amino acids as needed. And so apart from the starch, the potato is a very amazing food."

lol @ the last part where he says potatoes are awesome except for the starch.

and...

"And that's where RL Veech, an NIH - I think it was - researcher, proposed using ketone, keto acids, equivalent to the essential amino acids, which will absorb the ammonia, even when a person has no functioning kidney... ability to secrete ammonia. Just by feeding keto acids, if they are the equivalent of the essential amino acids, you create them in your body by absorbing the ammonia and then making your own protein, and that was where I got the idea that some foods would contain natural keto acid equivalents and we did chromatography on potato juice and found that they are rich in the keto acids which will function as amino acids, even though they contain no ammonia, because they can absorb ammonia from your blood."

and...

"That was for use in people who were having essentially no kidney function and Veech's research showed that these ketones, or keto acids, are very helpful for failing kidneys."

Kyle M

It is incorrect to call ketoacids "equivalent to protein", since they will never be able to provide any of the actual nitrogen required to form functional proteins.

They have the carbon skeleton equivalent of an amino acid, without the nitrogen, that they can get through transamination. That's what he means by a protein equivalent, everything except the amine.

YourUniverse

Another question ive had is regarding if there is a plant protein source that fits peats word on ideal amino acid profile; low in methionine, cyestine, histidine, tryptophan, glutamaic acid and high in glycine, tyrosine, phenylalanine and bcaas.

After buying pea protein a while back... ive realized i made a big mistakes as its glutamaic acid is higher than any other amino.

If theres no source ill just have to go back to drinking skim milk with gelatin.. most commercial milk in hawaii has high pufa fyi for visitors unless you can find raw milk.
What constitutes "high" glutamic acid, as a ratio to glycine/phenylalanine/BCAAs?

Dates have more glycine than the sum of methionine + cysteine, but has a 3:1 glutamic acid:glycine ratio. They also have a favourable Ca:P ratio, lots of minerals like manganese and potassium, and sugar-dense

RWilly

I'm reviving an old thread. Wondering if anyone has seen more research on keto acids. Can potato keto acids replace animal protein?

RealNeat

I'm reviving an old thread. Wondering if anyone has seen more research on keto acids. Can potato keto acids replace animal protein?
No, I think if you read the thread its pretty clear that that is not possible, at least not to the extent that would be considered sufficient or healthy. Transamination needs amino groups which potatoes provide very little of.

Good old days
Here's to good new days. 🍻

Although there's way too much traffic here nowadays for me to be able to keep up with everything that's happening here. And I'm not in such desperate need to research as I'm quite happy with my health now. Maybe I should do an update thread soon about my health journey..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals