protein in Potatoes

Peata

I'm confused about the protein in potatoes. In cronometer, a large potato has 5.1 g. protein. Since potatoes have a lot of carbohydrate, is this enough protein that I don't have to add more?

For example, dinner tonight was homemade french fries cooked in coconut oil and salted. I had it with ketchup. I'm having a Coke now. I'm full, but do I need to eat more protein to balance the meal?

Jenn

At night, not necessarily. Its all good, usable protein. You don't have to worry about any of it being converted to energy. By adding fat, you make it very similar to a glass of milk,only potatoes are very low in tryptophan.

dukez07

Jenn said:
At night, not necessarily. Its all good, usable protein. You don't have to worry about any of it being converted to energy. By adding fat, you make it very similar to a glass of milk,only potatoes are very low in tryptophan.

How low in tryptophan? If 2ibs of potatoes is equivalent in protein to a quart of milk, where is the rest of that protein going if it's low in tryptophan? And how do you know for sure that it's super low in tryptophan? Has RP spoken about this? I would also say that milk is far more nutritious than potato. Potato isn't bad in larger quantities, but it still doesn't quite make the grade in comparison to milk, IMO.