Protein ideas when intolerant to many

Katty

I've been eating Peaty for 1.5 years (was working with practitioner). I feel better when I eat around 100 grams of protein per day. But I am intolerant to so many proteins, I can't get to 100 grams (or even 80 sometimes). Looking for ideas. Here is a breakdown of the proteins and my issues with them:

-Dairy- tried to start slow and increase many times- just can't tolerate (acne, gas, sinus probs)

-Gelatin- if I eat more than about 1 tsp per day I have digestive issues- also tried starting slow and increasing - doesn't work

-eggs- I can only eat a serving once every 3 days or so

-Broth- I was drinking up to 10 cups a day at one point, but I think it's way too much liquid for my body to handle. A couple cups a day isn't that much protein

-white fish/shellfish- I was doing ok with these when I first started. But because they're my only protein source, I was eating them every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think I ate them too often and now I'm intolerant/allergic to many- they often come up on me. And having to eat white fish for every meal makes me not want to swallow it any more.

-I tried making potato protein once, and it was a horrible mess. I'll try again-- but anyone know how many grams of protein in the potato juice? Can't imagine it will be enough to make up for my protein deficit.

-I eat liver 1-2x per week. I've had to start eating chicken and beef more to get protein.

Any ideas? It seems before someone's metabolism is healed, it would be easy to become allergic/intolerant to proteins eaten day after day. Once my metabolism is healed I can imagine being able to add some of these back in. But in the meantime, I don't know what to eat for protein.

Anyone have ideas or come across this situation?

Thanks!

Ray-Z

Katty said:
I've been eating Peaty for 1.5 years (was working with practitioner). I feel better when I eat around 100 grams of protein per day. But I am intolerant to so many proteins, I can't get to 100 grams (or even 80 sometimes). Looking for ideas. Here is a breakdown of the proteins and my issues with them:

-Dairy- tried to start slow and increase many times- just can't tolerate (acne, gas, sinus probs)

-Gelatin- if I eat more than about 1 tsp per day I have digestive issues- also tried starting slow and increasing - doesn't work

-eggs- I can only eat a serving once every 3 days or so

-Broth- I was drinking up to 10 cups a day at one point, but I think it's way too much liquid for my body to handle. A couple cups a day isn't that much protein

-white fish/shellfish- I was doing ok with these when I first started. But because they're my only protein source, I was eating them every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think I ate them too often and now I'm intolerant/allergic to many- they often come up on me. And having to eat white fish for every meal makes me not want to swallow it any more.

-I tried making potato protein once, and it was a horrible mess. I'll try again-- but anyone know how many grams of protein in the potato juice? Can't imagine it will be enough to make up for my protein deficit.

-I eat liver 1-2x per week. I've had to start eating chicken and beef more to get protein.

Any ideas? It seems before someone's metabolism is healed, it would be easy to become allergic/intolerant to proteins eaten day after day. Once my metabolism is healed I can imagine being able to add some of these back in. But in the meantime, I don't know what to eat for protein.

Anyone have ideas or come across this situation?

Thanks!

Welcome, Katty!

What kind of gelatin are you using, and how do you prepare it?

It sounds like you have tried powdered gelatin and bone broth. What about gelatinous cuts of meat like shanks, oxtail, beef neck, and chuck roast? You could also try making a very thick, dense bone broth by cooking a lot of the water out of it.

Chicharrones (pork rinds) have some PUFA, but they would give you good gelatin. Perhaps you could eat them occasionally.

If you get tired of beef, lamb can be a good alternative, but again, you'd want to focus on the gelatinous cuts.

cliff

have you tried eating more sugar/salt?

OP
K

Katty

Thanks for the responses!

Ray-Z,
I use Great Lakes gelatin- tried the green and the orange cans.
I can try adding in more gelatinous meat. I have a mental aversion to pork rinds, but I can be brave and try it out =)
Thanks!

Cliff,
I think I eat plenty of sugar. I can try to add more salt- I'm doing pinches under my tongue throughout the day.

BingDing

Hi Katty

Maybe egg whites instead of the whole egg.

There's a theory that raw milk is more tolerable than pasteurized, might be worth a try if you can get it.

Maybe rice protein. Rice has the least amount of anti-nutrients of all the grains. In theory the effects of the lectins and phytates can be minimized. Not strictly Peat, of course, but there are no issues with PUFAs, hormones, or metabolism, so .....

Good luck!

OP
K

Katty

Cliff,
Think I'm getting around 300 grams per day.

BingDing,
Yep, raw milk isn't available for me.
Interesting about the egg whites. I'd always heard the whites were more allergenic. I have been using whites with only about 1 yolk when I do eat eggs now. I'll cut the yolk out next time to see if that helps.
Love the idea of rice protein. I think pea protein might be even better because it is low in cysteine and methionine. Figured any kind of protein powder was generally considered unacceptable, but it would be great to be able to add some in.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Jib

I've been making my own blend of pea protein, rice protein, and collagen hydrolysate.

The rice protein I use is 11g per heaping TBSP, the pea protein is 24g per scoop, so I just do two TBSP rice protein to one scoop pea protein in a big container. I add in a significant but arbitrary amount of the Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate powder, then close the lid on the tub and shake it all up until it's mixed into a consistent powder.

I've been adding that to smoothies lately, usually made of orange juice, very ripe bananas, and frozen wild blueberries. As a post-workout shake this is incredibly satisfying, and I love using the protein powder in a smoothie instead of having to cook and eat meat.

I still cook every day, of course, and have at least some meat most days of the week. But using the gelatin and the rice and pea protein powders allows me to vary my protein sources and also get away with using less meat, which is a lot more convenient for me. I just order big containers of the proteins online (Great Lakes has the bulk collagen hydrolysate back, I think in an 8lb bag), one order and I'm good to go for a while.

If you can't tolerate dairy, eggs, fish, and are trying to avoid lots of muscle meats, I'd say pea and rice protein would probably be your best option. I was having the same problem with getting enough protein and since I started the pea and rice blend I've been feeling a lot better.

LucyL

Have you tried making aspic? It is wonderful with a little spicy relish.

OP
K

Katty

Jib said:
I've been making my own blend of pea protein, rice protein, and collagen hydrolysate.
I've been doing rice protein. I suppose I could add in some pea protein too. I can't do collagen- it really bothers my stomach. Thanks for the thoughts.

LucyL said:
Here's a recipe for a chicken aspic that is pretty straight forward. It's been a couple years since I made one, but I remember that recipe was a lot like this one.

http://food52.com/recipes/15422-holiday-chicken-aspic
Thanks for the suggestion! Never had it before but I've always been curious. Aspic... a kind of meat jello :lol: