Protein For Energy

Based on what I’ve gathered here, protein is best not used for energy, as it is the dirties of fuels.

How to avoid it though?

I’ve heard Peat say that a gram of protein should be accompanies by at least a gram of carbs, idealy 2 grams of carbs. I known this is mostly for blood sugar reasons as protein depletes it via insulin stimulation. But does that also spare the digested protein from being used for energy by giving the body sugar to burn instead?

But more importantly, if protein is not to be used for energy, why is it included in energy calculations? I try to eat at least 200 grams a day, which 800 calories, which is a third of my daily 2500 kcal intake/expenditure.

It just doesn’t click for me. Anyone?

Last edited:

Elephanto

The inflammatory/catabolic effect of using protein as a main source of energy comes from the lack of carbs unable to restore blood sugar so cortisol has to be triggered. I don't think it "spares" protein from being used as energy, and the issue isn't there. The cortisol/testosterone ratio is closely correlated with dietary protein/carbs ratio. Restricting protein intake, independently of carbs intake, means restrictring Tryptophan, Arginine, Methionine and Cysteine which has lifespan-enhancing, pro-thyroid and anti-cancer effects.

OP
A
The cortisol issue is understood.

Although how is burning of dietary protein catabolic? Doesn’t that only apply to burning own tissue protein?

And what does it mean “main” source of energy? I mean almost nobody gets majority of calories from protein, but those 800 kcal i get from protein pressumably gets burned as energy, doesn’t it? So any protein i consume will always bring energy with it. And since Peat advocates pretty high protein, it also means high energy intake from protein.

Elephanto

Although how is burning of dietary protein catabolic? Doesn’t that only apply to burning own tissue protein?

And what does it mean “main” source of energy? I mean almost nobody gets majority of calories from protein, but those 800 kcal i get from protein pressumably gets burned as energy, doesn’t it? So any protein i consume will always bring energy with it. And since Peat advocates pretty high protein, it also means high energy intake from protein.

I didn't write that burning dietary protein is catabolic, I wrote that the catabolic effect comes from the lack of carbs triggering cortisol. By main source, I mean that it would be the predominant macro, so meals with a positive protein/carbs ratio.

Peat has made some suggestions but it's up to you to decide your protein intake based on experimentation and on the science that he has shared. There is few scientific evidence supporting an higher protein intake, it seems that most of the beneficial effects would come from an higher Taurine and Glycine intake which you can supplement. So when I consider the lifespan-enhancing and pro-thyroid effect of the restriction of certain Amino Acids, it makes little sense to go for an higher protein intake than what makes you feel good and satiate enough.

Optimal muscle synthesis according to bodyweight is achieved at 0.9g/kg in sedentary individuals, about 1.3g/kg in endurance athletes and 1.8g/kg in highly trained strength athletes. https://image.ibb.co/hP8CKe/Protein_intake_vs_muscle_synthesis.png

edit : Also the Taurine from protein intake is a byproduct of methionine, which has all the negative effects previously mentioned, so supplementing it directly is superior.

Last edited:

fradon

the cells have two power engines...one burns glucose, the other burns fat and protein

so eating protien does create energy ATP.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals