Protein/carb(ideally Fruit)ratio

Hello, folks

I was wondering about the above ratio. I usually try to eat 30 grams of protein at each of my three main meals - should I have at least 30 grams of carbs? As a recently diagnosed diabetic, I am concerned about carb intake. I also eat about three ounces of boiled red potatoes every other day, usually before bedtime. Half the protein from those 30 grams of protein meals come from milk/cheese, so that doesn't leave much room from fruit-based carbs. What do you think?

thankfully,

Robert

D

Derek

The carb : protein ratio is different for everyone. Some do well with a 1:1 and some need a 4 or 5:1 ratio of carbs to protein. If you have a 1:1 ratio of carbs to protein at a meal and then crave sugar after the meal, then you should increase the carbs. Carbohydrates do not cause diabetes, fat is the real cause. Low fat, high carb and white sugar diets have cured diabetes. Google search the Kempner diet, or the milk cure (a diet of low fat milk + honey or white sugar). Ray mentioned Budd curing diabetics by adding 8-16oz of sugar to their diets of meat and vegetables! Also, fruit juice is probably better than white sugar because it has all the nutrients (potassium, magnesium, B vits, etc...) that allow you to handle the sugar better.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

If you want to tell ...
What else are you eating? Are you subsisting on under 1000cals a day, or eating large amounts of fat to make up your calorie needs?
How was the diabetes diagnosed - did they measure insulin, or just blood glucose?
What other strategies have you tried to deal with the diabetes diagnosis so far?

In general, I would expect most people to need at least 1:1 carb:protein, but many do better with higher, as Derek says.
I think if it were me, I would consider trying a pretty low fat diet for a while, eat carbs enough to not be hungry preferably mostly from foods that also have the necessary minerals with them. And I'd probably give the hot water brewers yeast extract a try.

Have you read Peat's articles on sugar and diabetes? I'd recommend them all.

OP
F
Hello, everybody!

Derek, thank you for your comment. I am aware of the Kempner diet - I don't doubt its efficacy. I might even employ some variant of it, i.e., the macrobiotic diet.

Regarding your questions, Tara, they are easily answerable. I typically eat about 200 carbs a day from milk, ,etc.cottage cheese, fruit, oatmeal, vegetables, such as cooked carrots, baked potatoes/boiled red potatoes, zucchini, etc. I also eat sprouted grain bread. I also get additional carbs from German beer. I was diagnosed for diabetes via fasting blood glucose and HbA1c results.

Robert