Protective chemicals in vegetables

jyb

One of the main reasons why health conscious people eat green vegetables is that they are supposed to contain chemicals that are protective. Year after year, the media relays those studies and below is an example. I think its typically specific to broccoli, brussels sprouts, blueberries...

Are they actually useful, or are their effects not worth it given the potentially anti-thyroid action of green vegetables?

Cruciferous vegetables and human cancer risk: epidemiologic evidence and mechanistic basis

OP
J

jyb

Actually it seems like the benefits are due to the DIM molecules founds in those vegetables, which prevents the creation of new blood vessels. The latter is one effect desired when following the anti-estrogen and aspirin diet of RP.

pboy

I mean...I think there are beneficial compounds in certain vegetables, but they are more in herbs than common table vegetables, and they don't really heal, they can just reduce stress, temporarily boost energy, help sleep...stuff like that, reduce pain...which can then facilitate a more normal capable lifestyle and better mood which is what really brings the results. I can't see much benefits of common vegetables beyond the the minerals they provide. I guess its up in the air because there's not really a sure fire way to tell if they're helping