Protection From Tap/city Water

moringa

What do you guys do to filter the water that comes through the shower and tap?
Any quality shower filter?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Berkey makes a fluoride filter that I used when I had city water. I didn't filter fluoride from my shower although maybe I should have. I just used a chlorine shower head filter that I got from the hardware store.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I retired the Berkey and I’m drinking RO for now after learning that since the berkey doesn’t remove minerals there are probably other things it possibly doesn’t remove that I don’t want to drink.

Regina

That’s crazy.
I wouldn't drink it.

But Chicagoans will. I think they'll love it.
I was always amazed at how many people there drink Pabst beer.
Well-heeled couples and cme trader types nearly all drink PBR and love their cubbies and their government.

Validus

Filtering drinking water is easy - go with RO and have an end stage filter to re-add in minerals.

The tricky part is filtering the water coming out of your shower head/bath. Those filters are quite expensive and because of the volume of water that passes per use, they deplete and need repletion quickly.

Outside of that, you'll looking a full home system, which can be $10-$20K for a high quality RO system....carbon filters are improving in their capabilities, but aren't as effective at removing forever chemical etc.

ddjd

Filtering drinking water is easy - go with RO and have an end stage filter to re-add in minerals.

The tricky part is filtering the water coming out of your shower head/bath. Those filters are quite expensive and because of the volume of water that passes per use, they deplete and need repletion quickly.

Outside of that, you'll looking a full home system, which can be $10-$20K for a high quality RO system....carbon filters are improving in their capabilities, but aren't as effective at removing forever chemical etc.
im completely new to all of this. where is a good place to learn about RO?

PopSocket

RO system + resin filter to remove everything the RO system missed. Gives 0ppm water. Distilled like but tastes great ! And can be used for many purposes.

Those system can be bought for little money and if one cannot afford a whole house system for the shower - put the RO+resin water in a bottle take it with you in the bathroom and after shampooing or whatever - use the purified water to remove the dirty water before it dries on the skin, especially face and scalp. Leaves the skin and hair looking very nice. Not ideal if one likes to take longer showers as a lot of potential toxins can still enter the body but letting the tap water remain on the skin is terrible in my experience.

The RO+resin water can be used to soak clothes or towels to remove any residual deterrents and other stuff from the washing machine that are extremely irritating to the skin. Towels in hotels and stuff give me terrible skin for days afterwards too as they leave some of those chemicals inside the fabrics... Complete insanity ! Have to travel with a couple of bottles of clean water to remove the tap one if I want to keep the skin from inflammation.

Peatress

You make a good point about shower/bath water. I tried a shower filter but it wasn't very effective - in a hard water area it requires frequency replacement. In the end I decided to stop showering everyday. It was getting too stressful worrying about how much toxins I was absorbing through my newly injured scalp. Even now I noticed my scalp feels awful after washing. A home system would be a good idea but I am not sure how feasible this is for most people.

I really don't know how anyone can maintain good health with city water.

What do you guys do to filter the water that comes through the shower and tap?
Any quality shower filter?
Ray Peat mentioned brewing water through a coffee filter to remove heavy metals and other impurities. It is certainly better than nothing.

PopSocket

That is what he said, a coffee filter. He said coffee drinkers have a lower heavy metal load, he thinks from the paper coffee filter.
Definitely going to experiment with this. And maybe a little bit of vit C for the chlorine. Might be a useful hack when traveling. Thank you for the idea !