Prostatitis - Prescribed antibiotics but unsure whether to take them?

Callmestar

Hi all,

I had a prostate exam with the doctor after having pain in the prostate area for a few months and a full feeling in my anus. The doctor says my prostate is enlarged and thinks I have Prostatitis for which he has prescribed antibiotics. After not taking antibiotics for over 10 years, I'm reluctant to take them based on concerns it may negatively impact my digestion and other aspects of my health that are currently not good. Although I know Ray Peat does recommend antibiotics in certain situations.

The pain in my prostate is not a major concern although it is slightly bothersome and it would probably be a good idea to get rid of the infection. I'm wondering if you guys think it would be wise to take the antibiotic? Also is there a particular antibiotic you'd recommend as best/safest to use? I can't recall which antibiotic the doctor said he'd prescribe but I'll see when I get it from the pharmacy tomorrow. Would taking a short cause of antibiotics be ok? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
C

Callmestar

It's Ofloxacin that's been prescribed. Is this safe / beneficial to take?

PaRa

It's Ofloxacin that's been prescribed. Is this safe / beneficial to take?
say you don't tolerate quinolones, they are one of the worst, see with macrolides/penicillines/tetracyclines eventually cephalosporines

OP
C

Callmestar

Yeah I would avoid that class of antibiotics, lots of horror stories where people get "floxxed" and their health is ruined semi-permanently.

Thanks. I'm going to ask my doc for something different then. Although unsure if they will listen. Any recommendations on which is ideal?

thirdcatgy

Before you start taking antibiotics (especially quinolones which could exacerbate the situation and cause DNA damage), make sure it's not a neuromuscular & anxiety issue. "A Headache in the Pelvis" is a great book/resource written by a NYU/Stanford researcher who once suffered from CP/CPPS.

Also, you might want to get tested for SIBO/SIFO as well. If positive, there are specific protocols available to assist in reduction of bacteria/fungi in the small intestines.

Best of Luck.

OP
C

Callmestar

Before you start taking antibiotics (especially quinolones which could exacerbate the situation and cause DNA damage), make sure it's not a neuromuscular & anxiety issue. "A Headache in the Pelvis" is a great book/resource written by a NYU/Stanford researcher who once suffered from CP/CPPS.

Also, you might want to get tested for SIBO/SIFO as well. If positive, there are specific protocols available to assist in reduction of bacteria/fungi in the small intestines.

Best of Luck.

I did have the prostate examined and it was tender to me and enlarged to the doctor from his examination so I do think it likely is a prostate issue. I'm the last person to want to take an antibiotic trust me. I've asked my doctor if they might prescribe a different type.

What made you mention SIBO/SIFO? In what way could that be related? I am coincidentally awaiting stool test results to look at gut infections / digestion. Although I don't have any major noticeable digestive issues.

OP
C

Callmestar

Doctor has offered to prescribe Trimethoprim instead. Any better?

OP
C

Callmestar

I'm thinking I will take the Trimethoprim, it's a 2 week course. Is there anything I should be mindful of and what is best in terms of supplementation / probiotics to take alongside the antibiotic or afterwards?

yerrag

If it's a medication for bladder infections as well as for urinary tract infections, I would rather use methylene blue.

yerrag

MB at dose of 4 x 10mg/day.

A HealthNature MB at 25drops each dose, mixed with 2 drops of 100% dmso would help improve absorption.

MB was commonly used in the past for UTI, until "modern medicine" came along. Ciprofloxacin destroyed my dad's ability to chew as it caused ALS, and my dad had to be on PEG for his remaining years. Doctors, however, pretend they don't know this happens.

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

If it's a medication for bladder infections as well as for urinary tract infections, I would rather use methylene blue.

Use Methylene Blue for what? Sorry I'm not familiar with that substcance.

Trimethoprim is an antibiotic even if typically used for urinary tract and bladder infections, it's going to work in a similar action to any antibiotic no? It's also used to treat other problems such as chest infections and acne at times.

I'd be taking the Trimethoprim to get rid of the Prostate infection and also with the faint hope it might clear something else lingering that may have contributed my general ill health discussed in my dehydration thread. What would I be taking Methylene Blue for?

yerrag

Use Methylene Blue for what? Sorry I'm not familiar with that substcance.

Trimethoprim is an antibiotic even if typically used for urinary tract and bladder infections, it's going to work in a similar action to any antibiotic no? It's also used to treat other problems such as chest infections and acne at times.

I'd be taking the Trimethoprim to get rid of the Prostate infection and also with the faint hope it might clear something else lingering that may have contributed my general ill health discussed in my dehydration thread. What would I be taking Methylene Blue for?
See my edited reply

yerrag

Trimethoprim is probably safer than any fluoroquinolone. Your doctor prescribed a quinolone as his first choice, waiting for you to object before prescribing another one.

Why would he? Seems like he's more interested in pushing a 'favored' drug than a safer drug. I've seen it many times. Practically all doctors have fluoroquinolones as their drug of choice, despite them knowing these drugs to be fraught with risk.

OP
C

Callmestar

Trimethoprim is probably safer than any fluoroquinolone. Your doctor prescribed a quinolone as his first choice, waiting for you to object before prescribing another one.

Why would he? Seems like he's more interested in pushing a 'favored' drug than a safer drug. I've seen it many times. Practically all doctors have fluoroquinolones as their drug of choice, despite them knowing these drugs to be fraught with risk.

Thanks. Yes and they didn't take kindly to me asking for a different antibiotic.

In regards to the Methylene Blue, I understand it may work for UTI but I have an apparent prostate infection / prostatitis rather than a UTI. Would Methylene blue still work for that?

To be honest I'm not really bothered about the prostatitis, although it's probably wise I get rid of it and in the back of my mind I just have a faint hope somehow the antibiotic might improve some of my dehydration symptoms that have never been improved and we still have no idea of the cause. I've never taken antibiotics while I've had the dehydration symptoms and who knows maybe there's a slim chance there could be an underlying lingering infection contributing to my symptoms and antibiotics might help?

At this point it seems worth a try.

yerrag

Thanks. Yes and they didn't take kindly to me asking for a different antibiotic.

In regards to the Methylene Blue, I understand it may work for UTI but I have an apparent prostate infection / prostatitis rather than a UTI. Would Methylene blue still work for that?

To be honest I'm not really bothered about the prostatitis, although it's probably wise I get rid of it and in the back of my mind I just have a faint hope somehow the antibiotic might improve some of my dehydration symptoms that have never been improved and we still have no idea of the cause. I've never taken antibiotics while I've had the dehydration symptoms and who knows maybe there's a slim chance there could be an underlying lingering infection contributing to my symptoms and antibiotics might help?

At this point it seems worth a try.
It won't hurt to use antibiotics. The rule for me is thst the benefits you are seeking should outweigh the risk of taking it.

You just have to do the research. What kind of bacteria does Trimethoprim work on? What kind of bacteria is involved in proststis? Is it a similar kind of bacteria involved in UTI? If so, will methylene blue be worthy of consideration if it is effective on UTI?

MB is unlike pharma drugs where mostly each pharma drug has a specific target, which means it is meant for one kind of disease. So the idea is to have a drug for every ailment, and if that drug is unique then it can be patented and more money to be made from it. Fine, as long as it's safe and there's insurance to pay for it. But, being specific comes with a caveat. It usually, if not always, has side-effects that segues into another disease.

MB is not specific. It has many uses. Its use as an antibacterial is just one among many. If you do the research and you find it may be useful for your condition, it is worth a try. With careful use and dosing, you will not have major side-effects.

Unlike pharma drugs, many substances in use that have a history of safe use, do not need to be classified so narrowly as to their usage. You don't have to go by the idea that such a drug works for UTI and therefore it won't work for prostatis.

I began using MB for my high blood pressure because it works for UTI. I found that MB kills catalase-positive bacteria. I thought about that, and realized it may help me because I suspect there is a catalase positive bacteria called aggregibacter actinomycetemcomitans that is converting H2O2 to water and rendering my immune system incapable of killing a bacterial colony causing my hypertension. This bacteria is not even involved in UTI, but why am I using MB for it? It's because the bacteria involved in UTI are the same kind, the catalase-positive kind.

And I have to be resourceful and creative this way because I'm tired and frustrated and no one can help me except myself. And sure enough, my approach here (finally!) works.

No one will be of major help to you in fixing your issue except yourself. I can only share my experience and perhaps my approach. Methylene blue may not be suitable for you, but please, find out for yourself first.

Antibiotics are okay, used with care and after assessing risk and reward.

thirdcatgy

I did have the prostate examined and it was tender to me and enlarged to the doctor from his examination so I do think it likely is a prostate issue. I'm the last person to want to take an antibiotic trust me. I've asked my doctor if they might prescribe a different type.

What made you mention SIBO/SIFO? In what way could that be related? I am coincidentally awaiting stool test results to look at gut infections / digestion. Although I don't have any major noticeable digestive issues.

Enlarged prostate can be a result of many things - especially neuromuscular issues. Pelvis, leg and butt muscles innovate the area their tension can cause enlargement and pain - including prostatitis, interstitial cystitis, etc.

With regard to SIBO/SIFO - Small Intestinal overgrowth has been show to be a driver (if not the cause) of IBS, prostatitis, fibro, etc. It's a chicken or the egg scenerio. It could be that tension in the pelvis causes the breach, or vice-versa.

I've seen acute cases of prostatitis (e.g. a few days) resolve with antibiotics, but chronic is a different story - and it's easy to make matters worse with antibiotics if they start wiping out the good bacteria and further dysbiosis. (disruption of the bacteria-fungal balance in the microbiome).

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

Enlarged prostate can be a result of many things - especially neuromuscular issues. Pelvis, leg and butt muscles innovate the area their tension can cause enlargement and pain - including prostatitis, interstitial cystitis, etc.

With regard to SIBO/SIFO - Small Intestinal overgrowth has been show to be a driver (if not the cause) of IBS, prostatitis, fibro, etc. It's a chicken or the egg scenerio. It could be that tension in the pelvis causes the breach, or vice-versa.

I've seen acute cases of prostatitis (e.g. a few days) resolve with antibiotics, but chronic is a different story - and it's easy to make matters worse with antibiotics if they start wiping out the good bacteria and further dysbiosis. (disruption of the bacteria-fungal balance in the microbiome).

Thanks. I've not had prostatitis before so I'm hoping and assuming, for now, it's an acute case that will be resolved with the antibiotics. Completely appreciate it could be caused by the other factors you mentioned. If the antibiotics don't resolve it I certainly won't just keep taking more and will look for an underlying cause.

OP
C

Callmestar

Third day on these Trimethoprim antibiotics, I feel pretty crappy and unwell. On the one hand I don't want to take them, on the other I suppose I need to continue to get rid of the Prostatitis?

Last edited: