Prostate Cancer Prevention

tayloruk

Hey everybody,

Been reading the board on and off for a long while now and have always been impressed at how knowledgeable some are on here.

So I've just turned 40 and I am looking to finally enhance my hormones top prevent prostate cancer. My Dad has had PCa for over 20 years and its something I do not want to endeavour as well.

This is my hopefully prostate cancer prevention and life enhancer stack that I am looking to start soon.

1_ Daily testosterone to keep levels between 1000 and 1500. (Naturally I sit at about 650)

2_ Daily HCG to maintain fertility and neurosteroid cascade function. Important for progesterone and pregnenolone production of course.

3_ 12mg of Progest-E

4_ Aromatase inhibitor to keep E2 below 10 and certainly below 20. (Naturally I average low at about 15 anyway but E2 will obviously increase when Testosterone does)

I am on the fence with a 5aR inhibitor like low dose finasteride. There are many reports of post finasteride syndrome which seem attributed to disruption of pregnenolone and progesterone which should be covered with the HCG and endogenous progesterone anyway.

My three PSA’s have been

Age 38 = 2.1
Age 39 = 2.2
Age 40 = 2.4 (November just gone)

I had a 3T MRI scan of the prostate recently which shown everything normal and the prostate completely clear.

My only slight trepidation is the progesterone as I am under the impression it could feed PCa if there are microscopic cells already there?

I was told this by my friend Professor Edward Friedman who wrote a book on Prostate and Breast cancer pointing to localised oestrogen being the cause of both. He did say if there were no PCa cells present then progesterone would prevent PCa.

Even if there was microscopic cells already there and I was supplementing progesterone, would the AI and High T etc prevent the Pca ever growing?

Would love any opinions on this stack for prevention purposes.

Apologies in advance if I misrepresented something here, I know progesterone in particular is extremely favoured here so I would be interested in hearing the views on it potentially fuelling PCa.

B

Braveheart

Hey everybody,

Been reading the board on and off for a long while now and have always been impressed at how knowledgeable some are on here.

So I've just turned 40 and I am looking to finally enhance my hormones top prevent prostate cancer. My Dad has had PCa for over 20 years and its something I do not want to endeavour as well.

This is my hopefully prostate cancer prevention and life enhancer stack that I am looking to start soon.

1_ Daily testosterone to keep levels between 1000 and 1500. (Naturally I sit at about 650)

2_ Daily HCG to maintain fertility and neurosteroid cascade function. Important for progesterone and pregnenolone production of course.

3_ 12mg of Progest-E

4_ Aromatase inhibitor to keep E2 below 10 and certainly below 20. (Naturally I average low at about 15 anyway but E2 will obviously increase when Testosterone does)

I am on the fence with a 5aR inhibitor like low dose finasteride. There are many reports of post finasteride syndrome which seem attributed to disruption of pregnenolone and progesterone which should be covered with the HCG and endogenous progesterone anyway.

My three PSA’s have been

Age 38 = 2.1
Age 39 = 2.2
Age 40 = 2.4 (November just gone)

I had a 3T MRI scan of the prostate recently which shown everything normal and the prostate completely clear.

My only slight trepidation is the progesterone as I am under the impression it could feed PCa if there are microscopic cells already there?

I was told this by my friend Professor Edward Friedman who wrote a book on Prostate and Breast cancer pointing to localised oestrogen being the cause of both. He did say if there were no PCa cells present then progesterone would prevent PCa.

Even if there was microscopic cells already there and I was supplementing progesterone, would the AI and High T etc prevent the Pca ever growing?

Would love any opinions on this stack for prevention purposes.

Apologies in advance if I misrepresented something here, I know progesterone in particular is extremely favoured here so I would be interested in hearing the views on it potentially fuelling PCa.
I used Artemisinin for my leukemia, and when I did, it also eliminated all scary prostate issues I had, along with the leukemia....and now it protects me from Covid......"wonder drug".

LeeLemonoil

While DHT miggf play a role in initiating or fostering benign hyperplasia (not all on here will agree) it certainly is preventive against the malign tumors.

Following Friedman’s approach is wised than what 95% of PC-patients do in any case. Though recent research indicates that both de novo androgens synthesized by malign tumors as well as adrenal androgens might play a crucial role in pathology, dong know if Friedman is aware of that.

Prolactin should always be a concern. Some small scale trials with prolactin inhibitors were successful in treating malign cancers. If prolactin is also imvolved in the onset and thus prevention I don’t know

OP
T

tayloruk

While DHT miggf play a role in initiating or fostering benign hyperplasia (not all on here will agree) it certainly is preventive against the malign tumors.

Following Friedman’s approach is wised than what 95% of PC-patients do in any case. Though recent research indicates that both de novo androgens synthesized by malign tumors as well as adrenal androgens might play a crucial role in pathology, dong know if Friedman is aware of that.

Prolactin should always be a concern. Some small scale trials with prolactin inhibitors were successful in treating malign cancers. If prolactin is also imvolved in the onset and thus prevention I don’t know
Yes I have discussed prolactin with Ed and others a few times.
Some even believe that androgen independent / castrate resistant prostate cancer actually becomes prolactin dependent.

My prolactin was high at around 400 until I started desiccated thyroid and then it dropped to 150, so was a consequence of being hypo.

Cabergoline is an option to add to the stack but can have sides so I’d want to think carefully.

And yes Ed would be well aware his book is astonishing and he is regarded by many leading prostate oncologist on being the worlds authority on prostate cancer hormone models.

Maljam

Peat wrote a whole article on his website about prostate cancer, did you manage to see it?

Absolutely wouldn't take finasteride, a horrible drug.

I personally think you are looking at this the wrong way, are you wanting to take cabergoline for the rest of your life, just to prevent the cancer? It can be prevented without resorting to pharmaceutical drugs, most of the things Peat talks about will be beneficial for you.

I would be hesitant to raise testosterone above 1000, thinking about more of it converting to estrogen. I'd be happy keeping your levels as it is. I think estrogen and prolactin would be more of the focus to keep at lower ranges.

PUFA seems implicated in prostate cancer (as well as cancer in general) Limiting PUFA and eating generous amounts of saturated fats would be protective I'd imagine.

I see you have elevated prolactin, I was personally able to lower mine from elevated levels to middle/lower of range. I think the most beneficial things were stopping cows milk and consuming exclusively goat dairy (Read Travis's fantastic posts on this point.) Boiled mushrooms in their water also potently reduce estrogen in my experience, topical E also has prolactin lower effects, salt, general improvement of health, lowering of body fat stores (if you are overweight) are all things that will help with minimal or no negative effects.

OP
T

tayloruk

Whilst i agree PUFA's are terrible and a likely contributing factor to many cancers it is localised E2 in the prostate that is the catalyst for prostate cancer.

I disagree with you on being hesitant on the T levels. A T level above 1000 will bring many benefits as long as aromatase is kept in check.

Professor Friedman who is in his late 70's keeps his above 1500 and only reports life enhancing benefits.He takes an AI to keep his E2 below 20.

I had elevated prolactin yes, which was remedied by desiccated thyroid. Unless you consider 150 elevated?

I do eat white button mushrooms most days for their aromatase inhibiting properties

I am very interested in starting Progest-E, i have two bottles on standby. I was thinking 6-12mg a day.

Maljam

Whilst i agree PUFA's are terrible and a likely contributing factor to many cancers it is localised E2 in the prostate that is the catalyst for prostate cancer.

I disagree with you on being hesitant on the T levels. A T level above 1000 will bring many benefits as long as aromatase is kept in check.

Professor Friedman who is in his late 70's keeps his above 1500 and only reports life enhancing benefits.He takes an AI to keep his E2 below 20.

I had elevated prolactin yes, which was remedied by desiccated thyroid. Unless you consider 150 elevated?

I do eat white button mushrooms most days for their aromatase inhibiting properties

I am very interested in starting Progest-E, i have two bottles on standby. I was thinking 6-12mg a day.

PUFA is estrogenic and carcinogenic to the whole body.

I think you were missing my point, you shouldn't have to take an AI for the rest of your life, many AI come with issues themselves. I don't doubt he has noticed benefits, but what happens if he stops taking the AI?

What units is that prolactin test in?

I think you could reduce your prolactin and other hormone levels through the use of smart supplementation and dietary changes, you are too focused on the "magic bullet" avenue of science and disease prevention IMO.

OP
T

tayloruk

PUFA is estrogenic and carcinogenic to the whole body.

I think you were missing my point, you shouldn't have to take an AI for the rest of your life, many AI come with issues themselves. I don't doubt he has noticed benefits, but what happens if he stops taking the AI?

What units is that prolactin test in?

I think you could reduce your prolactin and other hormone levels through the use of smart supplementation and dietary changes, you are too focused on the "magic bullet" avenue of science and disease prevention IMO.

Sorry I missed this reply.

That 150 score is in mIU/L so in ng/mL that would be 7.

Please do outline how else you would be able to target localised estrogen in the prostate gland aside from an AI?

I understand progesterone would be ideal, but the conundrum I have is will it potentially end up feeding prostate cancer if there are microscopic PCa cells already in place.

Maljam

Sorry I missed this reply.

That 150 score is in mIU/L so in ng/mL that would be 7.

Please do outline how else you would be able to target localised estrogen in the prostate gland aside from an AI?

I understand progesterone would be ideal, but the conundrum I have is will it potentially end up feeding prostate cancer if there are microscopic PCa cells already in place.

I think you are stuck in the notion that individual organs are somehow separate from the rest of the body. If you believe that every organ is connected to every other part of the body, then your question about targetting localised estrogen doesn't make sense any more.

OP
T

tayloruk

I think you are stuck in the notion that individual organs are somehow separate from the rest of the body. If you believe that every organ is connected to every other part of the body, then your question about targetting localised estrogen doesn't make sense any more.

Serum estrogen levels do not correlate with localised prostate tissue estrogen.

Prostate cancer is specific to localised prostate estrogen and not serum levels, so my question makes perfect sense.

Maljam

Serum estrogen levels do not correlate with localised prostate tissue estrogen.

Prostate cancer is specific to localised prostate estrogen and not serum levels, so my question makes perfect sense.

Cancer is a systemic problem, everything is connected, you should read more of Peat, haidut and the forum.

Also,

At multivariate analysis, E2 was associated significantly with HGPCa both as a continuous predictor (OR, 1.02; P = .04) and as a categorical predictor (OR, 3.94; P < .001) after accounting for other variables. Conversely, tT and SHBG levels were not associated significantly with HGPCa.

OP
T

tayloruk

Saying cancer is a systemic problem is meaningless and too rudimentary to the specifics of the questions I am asking.

I am fully aware of avoiding a reductionist approach, and fully respect Dr Peats work, but I'm not sure you are able to engage in the specific nuances I am looking for here.

Can you or Haidut tell me his opinion on 5-alpha pregnane binding to a specific membrane receptor which in BCa and PCa increases the likelihood of metastasis and increases growth rate in prostate cancer?

OP
T

tayloruk

Yep so many reasons to take aspirin.
Just so annoying it appears it may lower testosterone ??‍♂️

Steve

I wonder if you have to take it every single day to get the benefit, or if once or twice a week would also work. I get stomach pain after taking one aspirin a few days in a row.