Prosecuting Trump - Unanswered Questions

nomoreketones

For the sake of this thread, lets assume Trump loses the election and moves to Florida. It is unlikely that the Biden administration will prosecute Trump for any fabricated crimes because Biden won't want to face prosecution for his actual crimes when he leaves office. So better to let sleeping dogs lie.

The southern district of New York has been actively trying to come up with politically motivated crimes to charge Trump with when Trump leaves office. So whether Trump actually committed any crimes or not, it seems inevitable that Trump will be charged with a bunch of crimes in New York.

Here are the questions for this thread:
  1. After the charges are filed, what if Trump's attorneys declare that the crimes are completely politically motivated and the Florida governor agrees. What happens if Trump refuses to acknowledge the extradition process and not show up for court in Florida? I wouldn't show up if I were him.
  2. What if the legal process doesn't go in Trump's favor and some sort of law enforcement shows up to Trump's residence and attempts to take him into custody? Would the secret service protect Trump?
  3. What if Trump is actually taken into custody and put in a prison cell? Would the secret service sit in the cell with Trump?
  4. What if the powers that be actually take trumps life while he is in custody and there is no video footage available to see what happened. Then they declare Trump died of natural causes. How would that mess be sorted out legally?

S-VV

If they successfully steal this election, he will probably be Epsteined in custody. 2020 (blm riots, covid, election fraud) has been a humiliation ritual to see how far they can take it. The more people passively accept, the more learned helplessness is induced

yerrag

Republicans that aren't RINOs should start the impeachment process against Biden.

Normally, they would find their efforts stalemated by Democrats and RINOs. But this time, it would be bi-partisan.

Once Biden is kicked out, Kamala becomes the perfect president - for the elites. A very weakened government would make it the perfect instrument for the private sector to take over all of the government. Thereby making it a de facto government for the elites, and a government for the people would become utopian.

Everyone in government and in large private corporations, public or private, becomes a mercenary.

managing

Republicans that aren't RINOs should start the impeachment process against Biden.

Normally, they would find their efforts stalemated by Democrats and RINOs. But this time, it would be bi-partisan.

Once Biden is kicked out, Kamala becomes the perfect president - for the elites. A very weakened government would make it the perfect instrument for the private sector to take over all of the government. Thereby making it a de facto government for the elites, and a government for the people would become utopian.

Everyone in government and in large private corporations, public or private, becomes a mercenary.
Thanks for Dear Leader Kim Jong Un's perspective on America.

yerrag

Thanks for Dear Leader Kim Jong Un's perspective on America.

I'm directing all of his mind control rays towards you - repent, and be saved.

yerrag

LOL. Your boss little rocket man couldn't mind control a nematode.
Wrong! You can feel that twitching now and it's getting more frequent. Turning it up slowly...

managing

I think the best think Trump could do for the nation (and, incidentally, Joe Biden) is to pre-emptively pardon himself. It almost certainly wouldn't stand up in court, but that is irrelevant.

It would save Biden the Gerald Ford dilemma. Do I prosecute for crimes against America that almost certainly were committed? Or do I pardon and unite?

Prosecuting Trump for crimes committed as President would surely divide and polarize the nation further. Biden won't want that, both politically and practically. Even though self-future pardon is a fiction, Biden can ignore that.

But, if Trump thinks it through, it is a real dilemma for him. What if he doesn't pardon himself? Well, that would be an even bigger gift to Biden. Because then Biden can pardon him. This would be the ultimate olive branch and surely win over some moderate Republicans. The loudest among Biden's base wouldn't like it. But as long as the Democratic party can keep them in line, that isn't a threat. Bernie has shown a willingness to do this. AOC and other youngsters, less so.

I think the likelihood of Trump being prosecuted federally is nearly nil, as one of the the scenarios above will play out. SDNY and other jurisdictions? He will almost certainly face prosecution from those entities.

OP
N

nomoreketones

I think the likelihood of Trump being prosecuted federally is nearly nil, as one of the the scenarios above will play out. SDNY and other jurisdictions? He will almost certainly face prosecution from those entities.

He can't pardon himself in SDNY but he can only pardon himself federally but there is no need really because he has not committed any crimes. Trump has run an incredibly clean presidency.

I think the best move would be to ignore any prosecutions out of SDNY and have his layers declare that politically motivated prosecutions against a former president are unconstitutional.

managing

He can't pardon himself in SDNY but he can only pardon himself federally but there is no need really because he has not committed any crimes. Trump has run an incredibly clean presidency.

I think the best move would be to ignore any prosecutions out of SDNY and have his layers declare that politically motivated prosecutions against a former president are unconstitutional.
LOL. That stands literally no grounds for succeeding. To show that something is "politically motivated" you would have to show a lack of evidence that a crime was committed. If there is evidence a crime was committed, then the prosecution is, by definition, not politically motivated (it is motivated by the crime). It is almost certain from the information already available that Trump could be indicted for tax evasion in SDNY. At least.

I guarantee you that the potential of prosecution, both federal and state, as well as the unpayable loans he has coming due, are what are totally freaking Trump out right now. But I would wager he never gets prosecuted federally. Biden stands to benefit more from showing mercy than from prosecuting. Vance, OTOH, and likely other jurisdictions, have no such incentive.

managing

For the sake of this thread, lets assume Trump loses the election and moves to Florida. It is unlikely that the Biden administration will prosecute Trump for any fabricated crimes because Biden won't want to face prosecution for his actual crimes when he leaves office. So better to let sleeping dogs lie.

The southern district of New York has been actively trying to come up with politically motivated crimes to charge Trump with when Trump leaves office. So whether Trump actually committed any crimes or not, it seems inevitable that Trump will be charged with a bunch of crimes in New York.

Here are the questions for this thread:
  1. After the charges are filed, what if Trump's attorneys declare that the crimes are completely politically motivated and the Florida governor agrees. What happens if Trump refuses to acknowledge the extradition process and not show up for court in Florida? I wouldn't show up if I were him.
  2. What if the legal process doesn't go in Trump's favor and some sort of law enforcement shows up to Trump's residence and attempts to take him into custody? Would the secret service protect Trump?
  3. What if Trump is actually taken into custody and put in a prison cell? Would the secret service sit in the cell with Trump?
  4. What if the powers that be actually take trumps life while he is in custody and there is no video footage available to see what happened. Then they declare Trump died of natural causes. How would that mess be sorted out legally?
To respond more directly to your original questions:
1. Federal Marshalls will go to Florida and bring a fugitive to court where he is charged (yes, federal marshalls retrieve fugitives for state courts). Not even DeSantis is enough partisan to resist that. He'd literally have to order state police (or national guard) to resist federal marshalls. Not going to happen. Trump could and would fight the extradition in FL court. They could delay it for months, but it would certainly fail. And Federal Marshalls are still Federal Marshalls.
2 No f'ing way SS "protects" Trump or any protectee from a lawfully executed order
3. Of course not. They would exercise administrative diligence, but the holding facility, once deemed secure, would be responsible. No way Trump goes genpop, under any circumstances.
4. Preposterous. Not only does that only happen in movies, nobody would choose to make a martyr of Trump.

Ledo

To respond more directly to your original questions:
1. Federal Marshalls will go to Florida and bring a fugitive to court where he is charged (yes, federal marshalls retrieve fugitives for state courts). Not even DeSantis is enough partisan to resist that. He'd literally have to order state police (or national guard) to resist federal marshalls. Not going to happen. Trump could and would fight the extradition in FL court. They could delay it for months, but it would certainly fail. And Federal Marshalls are still Federal Marshalls.
2 No f'ing way SS "protects" Trump or any protectee from a lawfully executed order
3. Of course not. They would exercise administrative diligence, but the holding facility, once deemed secure, would be responsible. No way Trump goes genpop, under any circumstances.
4. Preposterous. Not only does that only happen in movies, nobody would choose to make a martyr of Trump.
Such unbiased, extremely intelligent analysis. We are all in your debt.

What were his crimes again? Not taking his impeachments well? People staying at his hotels, or are you talking about all the treason involving Russia collusion?

managing

Such unbiased, extremely intelligent analysis. We are all in your debt.

What were his crimes again? Not taking his impeachments well? People staying at his hotels, or are you talking about all the treason involving Russia collusion?
Clearly there are many large violations of the emoluments act. There are also many obstructions of justice. Regardless of what your heart wants, there is ample evidence of these for a grand jury to indict him and others.

But I am really just replying to the OP who posed an if/then question. IMHO, the Biden administration doesn't want to prosecute him. But the OP asked what would happen if . . . So your problem is with the OP I guess?

Lol, "emoluments act violation"-- that's a talking point AOC popularized! The sensei behind this level of big brain politics reveals herself.

Must be a chick. No healthy dude would parrot that puppet.

yerrag

Fine to let him live the rest of his life in the mainland uncaged. But Brennan, Comey, Clapper etc. (too many of them) - they are a clear and present danger.

Not dealing with them as traitors as traitors should be dealt with weakens the state; it presents a moral hazard as such behavior will be repeated again in the near future. They will keep trying to wreck the country until they succeed. We already failed in not nipping such behaviors in the bud, and allowing the cancer to grow to the level it is, such that the rot and decay has infected all levels of society. In the world, we have not only lost our moral stature and our claim to leadership. We are being laughed at as a has been. Because we allow such people to set the tone of how the country is governed.

managing

LOL. I am supposed to be offended by being called a woman? You aren't even pretending to be people anymore.

Ledo

Clearly there are many large violations of the emoluments act. There are also many obstructions of justice. Regardless of what your heart wants, there is ample evidence of these for a grand jury to indict him and others.

But I am really just replying to the OP who posed an if/then question. IMHO, the Biden administration doesn't want to prosecute him. But the OP asked what would happen if . . . So your problem is with the OP I guess?

You should be banned for your constant slander of the President. @charlie