Pros And Cons Of Glycerine

Pompadour

Why do we think that glycerin prevents remineralisation? I searched pubmed and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone has a link to publication?

achillea

Dr Judd said in his experiments it took 21 rinses to get glycerin off the teeth.

Xisca

Xisca

Xisca

Not convinced it is needed for excellent oral health
Teeth do not need it, toothpaste seems to be happy with it!
The problem is to avoid or not such toothpastes on this SOLE reason....

So, if it all comes from Dr Judd:
Fix Your Teeth, Dr. Gerard Judd
TO MAKE TEETH CLEAN ONE BRUSHES WITH ANY BAR SOAP. Soap washes off in just 2 rinses.
2. Brush the teeth with bar soap (ref 5).
Then...
Glycerin and Remineralization of Teeth | Winnipeg Family Dentist | Dr. Raed Kamal
Another aspect not referenced in his publications that I have read is the fact that glycerin is found in the vast majority of soaps. When soap is fabricated, glycerin is produced, and in general, is not removed. Only in certain specialty soaps does the soap go through an extra process that removes the glycerin to produce a glycerin free soap. Based on this, if you want to believe Dr. Judd’s theory, you will want to ensure the soap you use is truly glycerin free.

GJ also says:
28. Does toothpaste clean teeth? No, it leaves a barrier of glycerine on the teeth after brushing with it which blocks reenamelization.

29. What should one use to clean one’s teeth? Bar soap -- Palmolive, dial, castile, Motel 6, Super-8 motel, etc.

30. What two things does soap do? It cleans off body oils, disinfects the gums and allows reenamelization.

I use Alep soap and feel it removes rests of food and fat. Mine has no glycerin.
I still agree, with my soft water, that even in soaps I do not like glycerin, as it makes my hands slippery and I need more time to rinse them. This can be different if you have alkaline water!

Alkaline water is terrible. Or was it something else, but my gums started to bleed a little and I could not wash my hair properly, as my hair just seemed so heavy with this water!

Xisca

Thanks @Xisca! Totally debunked IMO. Pretty much what I expected.
We can dearly thank Pompadour!
Why do we think that glycerin prevents remineralisation? I searched pubmed and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone has a link to publication?
@charlie Is it possible to make a new thread moving related to glycerine posts, from Pompadour post page 7?
I was going to start one, like "pros and cons of glycerine", and realized it would double with posts here....
I have found so many things, including positive, about glycerine, that it is worth making a pure post with it, as this one already have 8 pages....

Xisca

I wanted this thread to be about glycerin and also on anything else related to glycerin that has nothing to do with teeth...
I'm pretty sure I knew that Ray doesn't like glycerin.
An idea why?
I can tell a difference from not using glycerin for now about two weeks.
Can it be something else you have done, or what makes you think it is glycerin?
I am off glycerin for 7 years at least, so I cannot tell.
Totally debunked IMO. Pretty much what I expected.
The original post is here, point #7
Tooth remineralisation, demineralisation, saliva & pH, tooth decay and dental regeneration. 6 prerequisites for healthy teeth and stopping & reversing cavities (caries).

Very interesting that... even after reading this, I still keep the old reflex to not accept glycerin... :(
Ha, we humans....

Maybe because I remember having read something bad before, and I did not even like glycerin in soap. I have also used glycerinated soap to clean leather, and then the soap was hard no wash off.

Last edited:

Lilac

I wanted this thread to be about glycerin and also on anything else related to glycerin that has nothing to do with teeth...

An idea why?

No. I probably read it somewhere and filed it under "non-Peaty."

L

lollipop

Can it be something else you have done, or what makes you think it is glycerin?
I am off glycerin for 7 years at least, so I cannot tell.
Hi @Xisca, how I could tell was that this was the first change I made BEFORE the xylitol. I used non glycerin toothpaste for about a week without any other changes. Definitely made a difference :):

Xisca

glycerine is a sugar - polyol - and pufa are fats, different.

Xisca

Yody

It's almost time to find a new toothpaste.. I really enjoyed going through a box of Revitin the past ~18+ months.. Glycerin is the only ingredient in question. And it seems this thread was objectively inconclusive.

Waynish

Could this be why many are allergic to vapes? Vapes have vegetable glycerin & propylene glycol. They mostly claim only PG is allergy inducing, but I've seen both cases.