southcesar

If propranolol reduces cortisol, adrenaline and has bone protective effects (opposite to calcification?) Would it be a potential remedy for hair loss?

5a-DHP

Propranolol doesn't address the underlying pathology -- it acts to reduce the manifestation. With this in mind I wouldn't expect it to help much, similar to how low progesterone is involved in the pathology of mpb, yet taking it exogenously will do little to regrow hair in isolation.

Hair loss is a documented side effect or propranolol, though the exact mechanism is unknown. It's also been shown to decrease T4 -> T3 conversion, simultaneously increasing the production of rT3. This, alongside it's ability to markedly decrease heart rate, is why it is often used to treat patients with suspected Graves disease.

Propranolol Has Direct Antithyroid Activity: Inhibition of Iodide Transport in Cultured Thyroid Follicles.

The Effect of Propranolol on Circulating Thyroid Hormone Measurements in Thyrotoxic and Euthyroid Subjects.

For this reason it might actually make the underlying pathology of mpb worse. I wouldn't use it for the sole purpose of hair regrowth, personally. It's great for acute anxiety though.

Last edited:
OP
S

southcesar

Propranolol doesn't address the underlying pathology -- it acts to reduce the manifestation. With this in mind I wouldn't expect it to help much, similar to how low progesterone is involved in the pathology of mpb, yet taking it exogenously will do little to regrow hair in isolation.

Hair loss is a documented side effect or propranolol, though the exact mechanism is unknown. It's also been shown to decrease T4 -> T3 conversion, simultaneously increasing the production of rT3. This, alongside it's ability to markedly decrease heart rate, is why it is often used to treat patients with suspected Graves disease.

Propranolol Has Direct Antithyroid Activity: Inhibition of Iodide Transport in Cultured Thyroid Follicles.

The Effect of Propranolol on Circulating Thyroid Hormone Measurements in Thyrotoxic and Euthyroid Subjects.

For this reason it might actually make the underlying pathology of mpb worse. I wouldn't use it for the sole purpose of hair regrowth, personally. It's great for acute anxiety though.

thank you very much, you clarified it very well. Too bad it makes the thyroid situation worse.

aguineapig

Atenolol has less anti thyroid effects and works just as well for anxiety in my experience.

OP
S

southcesar

I have essential tremor since I was a child and I took propranolol sporadically. nowadays I don't take it anymore, but I wanted to take it again. Are there any alternatives that don't cause hair loss? I'm pretty insecure about this and didn't want to treat one problem and gain another.

OP
S

southcesar

Does anyone here who takes atenolol feel that it doesn't make their hair loss worse?

OP
S

southcesar

It can actually cause hair loss, I get hair shedding immediately when I use it.
after using it for a while did the hair loss persist? I've found this:
The hair loss from propranolol is not permanent and is typically a result of telogen effluvium.

Cosmetic side effects, as is alopecia, are one of the most frequently reported side effect categories in anti-epileptic drugs (AED) and have a high intolerability rate.

OP
S

southcesar

Hi, I found this here, as I understand it, the effect on the thyroid was very small and it was only bigger in huge doses of propranolol (120 mg twice a day).

There was a non-significant rise in total T4 during the
treatment period and a return to baseline on stopping
the beta-blocker. Total T3 levels remained stable
throughout the study (Figure 1). Despite changes in
total and free thyroid hormone levels (Figure 2) there
was no significant change in basal TSH concentration
during the study period.
Mean free T4 rose during the first week from a basal
level of 19.8 (± s.e.m. 0.9) to 22.7 (± 1.0) pmol/l on
day 7 (P <0.02). With some fluctuation in absolute
values, it remained elevated for the rest of the treat-
ment period, returning to baseline on stopping the
drug (Figure 2).
The mean basal free T3 was 6.4 (± 0.3) pmol/l.
There was no significant change during the period of
low dose propranolol but there was a signficant fall to
5.2 (± 0.2) pmol/l (P<0.05) on 120mg b.d. and a
sharp rise towards the basal value on stopping the
drug (Figure 2).
Reverse T3 rose during the first week from a baseline
level of 0.44 (± 0.02) to 0.57 (± 0.03) nmol/I
(P <0.01). It remained elevated throughout the treat-
ment period, falling to basal levels after day 21.
TBG fell gradually from 9.4 (± 0.3) to a nadir of 8.2
(± 0.4) mg/l (P <0.001) on day 22 and then showed a
trend of gradual recovery during the post-treatment
week (Figure 3). The change in T4/TBG ratio showed a
very close correlation with the response of measured
free T4 (r = 0.9; P <0.001) (Figure 4).
The addition of propranolol to serum in vitro in
increasing concentrations produced a slight but non-
significant rise in measured free T4 and had no effect
on measured free T3.

Attachments

• postmedj00111-0019.pdf