Proof For Losartan Working For COVID?

boris

I think Peat mentionend that the chinese found Losartan to be effective, but I couldn't find any studies.
I know several trials have started, but no results yet. Just telling people about Losartan is difficult because depending on the country you'll find mostly wrong claims that it does the exact opposite, worsen the condition.

This is the best piece of "evidence" I have found that could potentially convince someone:
University of Minnesota Launches COVID-19 Clinical Trials of Blood Pressure Drug Losartan
"The way losartan works is promising because it blocks a receptor, or doorway into cells, that a chemical called angiotensin II uses to raise blood pressure, and in excess, damages the lungs. COVID-19, or SARS-CoV-2, binds to the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor, preventing it from doing its normal job in breaking down angiotensin II and leading to higher than normal levels. It's possible that losartan might block that extra angiotensin II, stopping lung injury."

If you know of or can find anything please share!

The studies actually go back maybe 10 or 15 years. For instance

Angiotensin II receptor 1 blocker (losartan) restores the ability of the lung to clear edema in rats
Alveolar fluid clearance (AFC) is important in keeping the airspaces free of edema, mainly due to alveolar epithelial Na,K-ATPase pump and Na channels (ENaC). Angiotensin II (AngII) stimulates a variety of physiologic responses that supports arterial blood pressure and renal function. We previously showed that AngII impairs AFC (AFC in control rats was 0.44±0.04 ml/h (Mean ± SEM) and decreased by 40% in AngII treated rats (P = 0.003)). AngII effects are mediated by two specific receptors; AT1 and AT2. The localization of these two receptors in the lung was recently discovered, specifically in alveolar epithelial cells type II (ATII), but no studies investigated whether they play a role in AFC. In order to understand AngII mechanism, we investigated the effect of AT1 specific blocker (Losartan) using the isolated perfused lung model. Losartan administration, followed by AngII restored the inhibitory effect of AngII, indicating an AT1 mediated effect of AngII on AFC.

Furthermore, Oubain (Na,K-ATPase ihhibitor) and Amiloride (ENaC ihibitor) reduced AFC to 5.9±0.4 ml/hr and 5.8±0.11 ml/hr respectively. The administration of either Oubain or Amiloride with AngII tended to have more inhibitory effect on AFC (4.41±0.2 ml/hr or 5.29±0.08ml/hr respectively), suggesting that AngII signaling may target more than one protein. In ATII cells treated with AngII the expression of AT1 levels was upregulated. Notably, there was no significant change in αNa,K-ATPase and αENaC abundance after AngII treatment.

We herein provide a new mechanism of clinical relevance by which angiotensin adversely impairs the ability of the lungs to clear edema.

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) mediates influenza H7N9 virus-induced acute lung injury | Scientific Reports

Since March 2013, the emergence of an avian-origin influenza A (H7N9) virus has raised concern in China. Although most infections resulted in respiratory illness, some severe cases resulted in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which is a severe form of acute lung injury (ALI) that further contributes to morbidity. To date, no effective drugs that improve the clinical outcome of influenza A (H7N9) virus-infected patients have been identified. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) and ACE2 are involved in several pathologies such as cardiovascular functions, renal disease and acute lung injury. In the current study, we report that ACE2 could mediate the severe acute lung injury induced by influenza A (H7N9) virus infection in an experimental mouse model. Moreover, ACE2 deficiency worsened the disease pathogenesis markedly, mainly by targeting the angiotensin II type 1 receptor (AT1). The current findings demonstrate that ACE2 plays a critical role in influenza A (H7N9) virus-induced acute lung injury and suggest that might be a useful potential therapeutic target for future influenza A (H7N9) outbreaks.

Lollipop2

My brother-in-law tested positive for Covid here in Dallas. The MD put him on Losartan and an anti-inflammatory, Tylenol (unfortunately not simply aspirin), but he recovered. I know this isn’t the research you wanted @boris, but it might be nice to also record success stories with Losartan.

Regina

My brother-in-law tested positive for Covid here in Dallas. The MD put him on Losartan and an anti-inflammatory, Tylenol (unfortunately not simply aspirin), but he recovered. I know this isn’t the research you wanted @boris, but it might be nice to also record success stories with Losartan.
Good doctor! How did the doctor get away with making a decision opposing the authorized treatment?
Did your bil have any symptoms?

OP
boris

boris

@Lollipop2 thank you! Great to hear that the treatment was succesful. How long was it until the symptoms were gone?

Lollipop2

Good doctor! How did the doctor get away with making a decision opposing the authorized treatment? Did your bil have any symptoms?
Hi @Regina,
Right about the MD?!?! It was the hospital that gave him the medication. Regina, I think there are many treatments that are accepted now. His symptoms that convinced two of my sister’s MD friends to get him to go and get tested at the hospital: diarrhea for about 5 days and fever. He was already improving by the time he went to the hospital. After getting on Lorsartan, he received a Covid free test after only one week!

managing

Do you happen to know what dosage? I believe RP said it should require a smaller dose--one that does not significantly drop BP.

Lollipop2

Do you happen to know what dosage? I believe RP said it should require a smaller dose--one that does not significantly drop BP.
Good question, I don’t. I will try to find out, might see them tomorrow as their quarantine is officially over tomorrow.

Lizb

@ecstatichamster and others have you used and seen benefits from Losartan?

I have bronchiectasis and asthma. Positive for covid.

No pain. Lungs uncomfortable and heart rate normally at 65 is now 115.

I'm taking Doxycycline.

l-Lysene, glycine, vitamin c, Progest-E, naproxen (can't take aspirin)

Shall I take an antihistamine?

Just about to have a go with a nebuliser

good news! I would take the antihistamine. But also some extra E as you want to stop platelet aggregation.

I'm on 160mg of telmisartan for performance purpose last 1,5 years. Had covid 3 times, lab confirmed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals