Prolactin Is A Good Biomarker For Serotonin / Estrogen Activity

haidut

Forum Supporter
Prolactin blood tests are more reliable than serotonin and estrogen - i.e. plasma prolactin is a good indicator for its levels everywhere in the body, while estrogen and serotonin can be low in plasma but high in tissues. The study was done on primates, so it should be very similar to humans. Also, today I learned that yawning is an indicator for androgenic activity...maybe only in monkeys:):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23506438

"...Fenfluramine causes the release of serotonin proportional to endogenous availability and in turn, serotonin stimulates the secretion of prolactin. Therefore, serum prolactin concentrations reflect endogenous serotonin.. Neither aggressive behavior nor yawning (indicators of androgen activity) correlated with serotonin/prolactin, but posited aromatase activity correlated significantly with prolactin."

aquaman

Re: Prolactin is a good metric for serotonin and estrogen le

haidut said:
today I learned that yawning is an indicator for androgenic activity...maybe only in monkeys:):

i feel like i am constantly yawning - this is interesting!

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I yawned constantly and had high prolactin when I was on SSRI meds. Another mystery explained by haidut! :eek:

I used to yawn all the time when I was low-carbing, it always seemed like I couldn't get enough oxygen. Going up a flight of stairs would have me winded too. This doesn't happen to me any more since Peating, in spite of the fact that I am 30 pounds heavier! :(

If my prolactin is 15.5, should I not bother testing my whole blood serotonin?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Hum... I was thinking of having my serotonin tested too....I might just get them both, what the heck it can't hurt.

Your previous levels were quite high as I recall, I would definitely test them again if I were you.

Do they need a whole separate tube of blood for this test? Or can they use blood drawn for a lipid profile? I HATE the tube change part of the blood draw....I am such a weeenie.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

thebigpeatowski said:
Your previous levels were quite high as I recall, I would definitely test them again if I were you.

Do they need a whole separate tube of blood for this test? Or can they use blood drawn for a lipid profile? I HATE the tube change part of the blood draw....I am such a weeenie.
I'm not sure but look at it this way, the more blood they take the more iron you can get rid of! :lol:

Elie

Forum Supporter
Normal plasma prolactinis levels are 24 mcg/l or less. Anyone knows if this is an accurate upper limit?

ddjd

Prolactin blood tests are more reliable than serotonin and estrogen - i.e. plasma prolactin is a good indicator for its levels everywhere in the body, while estrogen and serotonin can be low in plasma but high in tissues. The study was done on primates, so it should be very similar to humans. Also, today I learned that yawning is an indicator for androgenic activity...maybe only in monkeys:):

Effects of aromatase inhibition and androgen activity on serotonin and behavior in male macaques. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Fenfluramine causes the release of serotonin proportional to endogenous availability and in turn, serotonin stimulates the secretion of prolactin. Therefore, serum prolactin concentrations reflect endogenous serotonin.. Neither aggressive behavior nor yawning (indicators of androgen activity) correlated with serotonin/prolactin, but posited aromatase activity correlated significantly with prolactin."
Are there are other studies demonstrating a correlation between high Prolactin and high Estrogen. I can't find them in the forum

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are there are other studies demonstrating a correlation between high Prolactin and high Estrogen. I can't find them in the forum

It is a well-established fact in endocrinology. In fact, it is one of the first topics in medical schools when lactation and gyno are discussed. Google for "prolactin estrogen". It is hard to get a more established link than this.

Koveras

It is a well-established fact in endocrinology. In fact, it is one of the first topics in medical schools when lactation and gyno are discussed. Google for "prolactin estrogen". It is hard to get a more established link than this.

"open endocrinology textbook"

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
"open endocrinology textbook"

Lol, I see what you did there :):
But yeah, even a simple Google search reveals how much information there is on that link and many of the links are from endocrinology books used in medical school.

biggirlkisss

can someone explain me why high prolactin is bad and prolactin breaks down bone but wouldn't that mean it most increase pth parathyroid horome. Thoughts?

LCohen

can someone explain me why high prolactin is bad and prolactin breaks down bone but wouldn't that mean it most increase pth parathyroid horome. Thoughts?

Pros:
+ Forms milk in breasts,

Cons:
- Suppresses thyroid,
- Prolactin increases estrogen, estrogen increases prolactin (lose-lose),
- Therefore messes up your testosterone,
- Increases cortisol,
- Makes you feel sluggish and brain foggy,
- Associated with stubborn skin problems (hair loss, hirsutism)

You don't need this hormone unless you got a baby. It's just a stress thing just like cortisol.

Amazigh

Hey @haidut have you considered having an IdeaLabs subscription option on all your products? I would definitely subscribe.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey @haidut have you considered having an IdeaLabs subscription option on all your products? I would definitely subscribe.

We've had it for a long time but not many people express an interest. We have it now, so if you are interested then send me a PM and I will set it up for you.

LeeLemonoil

Evaluating serum prolactin and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels in patients with pemphigus. - PubMed - NCBI
Evaluating serum prolactin and serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels in patients with pemphigus.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Altered levels of sex hormones have been observed in many autoimmune disorders, but there is no considerable data about pemphigus. The aim of this study is to compare serum total and free prolactin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) levels between patients with pemphigus and healthy controls and to determine the correlation of these hormones with disease severity.

METHODS:
This study included 52 newly diagnosed cases of pemphigus and 57 healthy controls. Serum prolactin (total and free) and DHEAS were measured in all subjects. Data analyses were performed using JMP, Version 7.

RESULTS:
Pemphigus patients had significantly higher levels of total and free serum prolactin (both P = 0.01) and lower levels of DHEAS (P = 0.005) than healthy controls. A significant association was found between severity of pemphigus and total prolactin levels (r = 0.40, P = 0.003).

CONCLUSIONS:
The patients with pemphigus had higher total and free prolactin and lower DHEAS concentrations, and patients with more severe disease had higher levels of serum total prolactin. These new data may suggest a potential role for sex hormones in the pathogenesis of pemphigus disease and provide new insights for the better management of this chronic and life-threatening disease