haidut

Forum Supporter
I think this is a pretty important study as it provides further evidence of the close relationship between various biomarkers of stress such as prolactin, estrogen, and cortisol. As Ray said, estrogen is really not a female hormone but rather the stress hormone. Prolactin is pretty similar, and cortisol needs no introduction as even your average doctor will admit high cortisol is not good. Each one of the three stimulated the production of the other two, and damages the negative feedback response. So, together they form a vicious circle that is sometimes pretty tough to break out of. Knowing this, the recommendation to treat osteoporosis with estrogen, especially combined with the dire results from the HRT trials, is either profoundly dumb or quite intentional.
The study also shows why anti-prolactin drugs like bromocrptine help with and have traditionally been used off-label for conditions such as Cushing syndrome/disease. Anti-serotonin drugs like cyproheptadine do the same. Usually, breaking any one of the points on the vicious circle (serotonin, prolactin, estrogen, cortisol) is sufficient to stop the whole cascade.

Direct effects of prolactin on corticosterone release by zona fasciculata-reticularis cells from male rats. - PubMed - NCBI
"...PRL stimulated the corticosterone release in a dose-dependent pattern in the ZFR cells from normal male rats. The cellular adenosine 3'-5'-cyclic monophosphate (cAMP) concentration positively correlated with PRL concentration in the presence of forskolin or 3-isobutyl-1-methylxanthine (IBMX). PRL enhanced the stimulatory effects of cAMP mimetic reagents, i.e., forskolin, 8-bromo-adenosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (8-Br-cAMP), and IBMX on the release of corticosterone. The adenylate cyclase inhibitor (SQ22536) inhibited the corticosterone release in spite of presence of PRL. Nifedipine (L-type calcium channel blocker) did not inhibit corticosterone release. The hyperprolactinemic condition was actualized by transplantation of donor rat anterior pituitary glands (APs) under kidney capsule. By comparison with the cerebral cortex (CX)-grafted group, AP-graft resulted in an increased release of corticosterone, 3beta-hydroxysteriod dehydrogenase (HSD) activity and cAMP production by ZFR cells. Acute hypoprolactinemic status was induced by bromocriptine for 2 days. The results showed the productions of corticosterone were lower in hypoprolactinemic group than in control group, which were persistent along with different ACTH concentrations. These results suggest that PRL increase the release of corticosterone by ZFR cells via cAMP cascades and 3beta-HSD activity.

T

tca300

Very cool! What in your opinion are the best methods for lowering cortisol/prolactin?
Even eating low fat I convert sugar to bodyfat very easily and my hair is falling out pretty rapidly. All the while having a 98.6-99 constant temp, with a perfect pulse. The body is confusing. Thank you very much!! @haidut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Very cool! What in your opinion are the best methods for lowering cortisol/prolactin?
Even eating low fat I convert sugar to bodyfat very easily and my hair is falling out pretty rapidly. All the while having a 98.6-99 constant temp, with a perfect pulse. The body is confusing. Thank you very much!! @haidut

Well, avoiding exhausation, high-protein combined with low carb diet, keeping PUFA intake down, etc. There tons of supplements like vitamin E, aspirin, caffeine, progesterone, etc that can also directly lower prolactin and/or estrogen. There are threads on the forum for those supplements, so you can search for things like "aspirin prolactin".

superhuman

i also reacted to that. High protein combined with low carb want that increase cortisol and stress even more?

superhuman

@haidut can just a short cycle of cypro like say 1 week or something break the stress cycle ? say your nutrition and everything is good but you havent gotten out really of the stress cycle.

Nighteyes

I interpret that he meant: avoid exhaustion AND High protein combined with low Carb. You want neither of those things...

dd99

Have you been taking 50-100mg Niacinamide three times a day? That should help train your body to utilise the sugar better.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut can just a short cycle of cypro like say 1 week or something break the stress cycle ? say your nutrition and everything is good but you havent gotten out really of the stress cycle.

I think it should, especially combined with something very pro-metabolic like thyroid or methylene blue.

superhuman

@haidut so for people with high cortisol/prolactin etc what is high protein and what is a "good or optimal" range to aim for when one struggles with high cortisol/prolactin.

I guess going to low in protein will also cause problems like increase cortisol and estrogen etc as well?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut so for people with high cortisol/prolactin etc what is high protein and what is a "good or optimal" range to aim for when one struggles with high cortisol/prolactin.

I guess going to low in protein will also cause problems like increase cortisol and estrogen etc as well?

If prolactin is high, then I think ratio of carb to protein should be at least 2:1, if not more. Ideal prolactin is hard to gauge as it varies all the time just like cortisol, but at rest and through repeated tests it should not be much higher than 5.

superhuman

@haidut get you. So then you can in theory eat 200g protein and 500g carbs ? or like you have mentioned earlier. Is there a amount of total protein you would not go over? in terms of g/kg etc.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut get you. So then you can in theory eat 200g protein and 500g carbs ? or like you have mentioned earlier. Is there a amount of total protein you would not go over? in terms of g/kg etc.

I think beyond 2g/kg you may start getting the ammonia side effects. If protein is not utilized as muscle synthesis it is oxidized as fuel and produces ammonia in the process. I don't know if there is an upper safety limit but kidney function may start to deteriorate as well.

Momado965

@haidut Which one do you think is superior cypro or bromocriptine and will there be any rebound after cessation?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Which one do you think is superior cypro or bromocriptine and will there be any rebound after cessation?

Cypro seems to be better for lowering cortisol, while bromocriptine is better at lowering prolactin. In some people with Cushing syndrome, chronic stress, high endogenous estrogen, etc there is always risk of rebound after stopping but for many people the improvement seems to be long lasting.