Prolactin in Milk

MattJacko

One of the major principles in “Peating” is that high prolactin can be attributed to a number of issues including hair loss (which I am struggling with). Peat also suggests milk can be one of the best foods to consume. I have recently discovered that milk contains some of the highest levels of prolactin among foods...can someone please explain this to me?

retroactive

My understanding is that milk may contain small amounts of 'negative' hormones, but since it also contains 'positive' hormones on the whole it doesn't seem to be a problem. For example it contains a bit of estrogen but also small amounts of progesterone, thyroid etc.

tankasnowgod

One of the major principles in “Peating” is that high prolactin can be attributed to a number of issues including hair loss (which I am struggling with). Peat also suggests milk can be one of the best foods to consume. I have recently discovered that milk contains some of the highest levels of prolactin among foods...can someone please explain this to me?

Even if true...... milk has the highest levels of calcium of any known food (except maybe bone, but that's not really a food). Raising your calcium intake is one of the easiest ways to lower your prolactin levels.

If you really think it's a concern, do a prolactin test before starting to drink milk, add some milk to your diet (say, a glass or two everyday), and then do a another prolactin test one or two months later. See if there is any significant difference. My guess is prolactin will either be about the same or significantly lower in the second test.

Sweet Meat

i don't think it makes a difference how high the levels are if they all get destroyed in the stomach

i seem to remember a study that correlated milk consumption with proalctin "somehow" and also a 6% increase for bph, but besides this milk seems like a fairly good food source

schultz

Does prolactin even exert any effect when taken orally? You'd think it would be hydrolyzed into amino acids considering its a protein. But maybe it's resistant to digestion?

Hgreen56

There are 1000 reasons that cause hair loss.

Ismail

Anyone know of any good places in the UK to get prolactin testing done?

I found this site which has a promotional offer of £31 - not sure if that's a good price:

- Prolactin Blood Test