Prolactin And IBS. Case Report Of IBS Cured By Cabergoline

raypeatclips

I was initially interested in how prolactin effected various aspects of the body, and came across this study and case report.

Constipation-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome Associated to Hyperprolactinemia

Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2011 Sep-Dec; 5(3): 523–527.
Published online 2011 Sep 3. doi: 10.1159/000331806
PMCID: PMC3214685
PMID: 22087083
Constipation-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome Associated to Hyperprolactinemia
C. Seretis,a F. Seretis,a,* N. Liakos,b A. Pappas,c D. Keramidaris,b S. Gourgiotis,b N. Salemis,b and E. Lagoudianakisb

"Further studies have shown that CCK also acts as a mediator of the gastrocolonic response [5, 6], while CCK infusion appears to unmask intestinal dysmotility in patients with IBS [7]. Except for this, new studies suggest that there is a strong correlation between CCK and the prolactin-releasing peptide (PrRP), since peripheral administration of CCK is proven to activate neurons expressing PrRP [8]. As a result, increased prolactin levels, for instance due to a pituitary adenoma, may suppress the secretion of PrRP and lead to a reverse feedback, consequently resulting in oversecretion of CCK, inducing the development of IBS. "

"Prolactin levels returned to normal after almost 3 years since the beginning of the treatment, a fact that was mainly attributed to the patient's reluctancy to follow the treatment plan closely. The initial cabergoline dose was set at 1 mg/week and was gradually elevated to 4 mg/week. The response to the dose was evaluated by regular measurement of prolactin levels every 6 months. During the period the patient was receiving cabergoline, she noticed a dramatic decrease of the cramping abdominal pain episodes, from 10–12 before the administration of cabergoline to only 3 after the submission to the particular treatment. Moreover, she mentioned that her bowel habits had been absolutely normalized, with almost daily defecation. The length of this period seems to be reasonable to suggest regression of the IBS symptoms, which can be attributed to cabergoline, through the pathophysiological pathways presented."

LCohen

+1

It's weird that their mechanism fixes all constipation, diarrhea or poor digestion.

I have great bowel movements with bromocriptine. Anything that agonist at Dopamine D2 works.

Mat_Eire

+1

It's weird that their mechanism fixes all constipation, diarrhea or poor digestion.

I have great bowel movements with bromocriptine. Anything that agonist at Dopamine D2 works.

+1. My IBS disappears with bromocriptine. However i was afrid of its sides and stopped it after 2 weeks. Do u take it continously=

LCohen

+1. My IBS disappears with bromocriptine. However i was afrid of its sides and stopped it after 2 weeks. Do u take it continously=

I can't tolerate it. It gives me intense headaches that I can't handle.