Project 11 (FULL):Diabetes II and How to Restore and Protect Nerves, The Herb Doctors, KMUD, 2014

burtlancast

(NEW: After posting your transcription, in an effort to save time for everybody, please drop a PM to the member due to verify your part ( when possible).)
To save yourself some serious time during transcribing, please first visit this short updated FAQ : http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5168 (this FAQ was last updated on: 9 nov)

Post here to claim a part for you to transcribe, and it will be yours. Check further down this thread to see which parts remain to be trancribed.

You can transcribe multiple parts; but in order to facilitate the attribution process for verifying , please avoid transcribing adjacents parts ( ex: do parts 1 and 3 instead of parts 1 and 2)

Please don't forget to EDIT YOUR INITIAL POST and include BOTH TRANSCRIBED and VERIFIED parts. This will keep localized inside the thread each volunteer's work.

Each of your post should include thus at least these 3 lines:
-Part 1 for Burt
- Link for transcribed part 1: https://mega.co.nz/#!EQpFBSci_ZdN_ ... WDN356wsbY
- Link for verification of part 2: https://mega.co.nz/#!EQQwci_ZdN_ ... WDN356wsbY

Once the parts have been verified, no more work is needed from anyone. The final piecing together of all parts into a full transcript will be done by Loess.

Only post here to claim a part and to upload your finished files.
Comments can be posted at: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5165

Lenght: 60.00min
Name: Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes, KMUD, 2014
Download link: http://uploadingit.com/file/view/3su4oe ... ritalk.mp3

Part 1: for Burt https://mega.co.nz/#!lNBWWLYA!oHx25xpmf ... 2B8OUZmPaw
Part 2: for sweetly https://mega.co.nz/#!oVonzLia!svSb4xcHp ... FwI0phwAeY
Part 3: for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!9I5gzTYA!34Qcr2w4q ... xUY4Wo4klk
Part 4: for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!tJwCnBID!2U3XgPDp4 ... H_VhvOrT2o
Part 5:for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!5RAXlIKA!XvJkK_STL ... YgVzTlS9G8
Part 6:for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!oJBAgRIT!R3OrMDKqm ... DOrEXRDt7c
Part 7:for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!FYw2URoB!qfX2JuREB ... 4WTvygkWc8
Part 8:for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!EMgVhASD!6DsZz_QR8 ... CoJhpbHM5Q
Part 9: for Sol https://mega.co.nz/#!MdZQRQrT!dK3IS4jtU ... FwZ3Wgaxtw

Attached to this post are all individual parts, if one cannot use Mega.

Attachments

• Part 1.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • Part 2.mp3
    852.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Part 3.mp3
    826.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Part 4.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • Part 5.mp3
    809.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Part 6.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Part 7.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Part 8.mp3
    887.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Part 9 (9min).mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

sweetly

Re: Project 11 (NON FULL): Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes, KMUD, 2014

-Part 2 for sweetly
- Link for transcribed part 2: http://pastebin.com/JB67Vptk
- Link for verification of part 3:

Sol

Project 11 (NON FULL): Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes, KMUD, 2014

I've done the remaining parts (from part 3 on). I hope somebody can decipher some of the words I was not able to get.

Andrew: Normally if someone was on... because I know you’re a great advocate of saturated fats, butter, coconut oil in particular and very much against the negative health impacts of the liquid oils and fish oil in particular. If somebody is consuming a lot of butter, milk, whether is full fat or semi-fat and coconut oil, the fats therein when they are stored as fat they don’t have the same destructive, oxidative effects when they are liberated.

RP: Yeah, if you store a very saturated fat like the indians make ghee by removing the water soluble material, a pure fat oil, or coconut oil which is 98% saturated, those things keep for years without breaking down but if you leave a bottle of safflower or corn oil or linseed oil open within hours or days you can detect spontaneous oxidation of it in the air, and that happens at body temperature with the high oxygen content of your blood very quickly with the polyunsaturated fats. Interestingly, the biological oxidation is pretty much the opposite because if you have two types of fat circulating in your blood stream, one saturated fat acid and one polyunsaturated, your muscles will be able to oxidize the saturated fat preferentially, the polyunsaturated fat tends to go into storage if you eat more than you can oxidize, so it tends to be fattening if you eat a little extra of the polyunsaturated because it stores more easily. But your fat cells can also oxidize saturated fat and so they live on the saturated fat they have stored, so over the years stress is more likely to release the polyunsaturated fats making stress increasing problem with age.

Andrew: So that’s the thing behind what your describing now as the component FFAs, if somebody is eating a lot of saturated fats like butter, ghee, coconut oil then they’re not going to liberate the same FFAs that they wold if they were consuming polyunsaturateds in their diet.

RP: Right

Andrew: Getting back to the classic description of diabetes as being a wasting disease which actually we see very little of as opposed to what now is generically diabetes largely linked to obesity in the general population, that obesity is probably directly linked to the polyunsaturated thyroid suppressive diet some people consume.

RP: It’s now increasingly seen as a fat inflammation condition, a mild chronic inflammation and a major thing that causes that is the continual spontaneous release of small amounts of arachidonic acid which is a highly unsaturated fatty acid. Even if you don’t eat it, linoleic acid for example will be turned into it by enzymes in the body, so it becomes one of the most toxic stored fats both in phospholipids and in the triglyceride storage and when that’s released that allows it to be turned into various things but specially prostaglandins which are probably our biggest inflammatory problem.

Andrew: These things are associated with inflammation, aren’t they? when you damage your tissues, prostaglandins, what most people might recognize as being liberated causing swelling, edema.

RP: That’s why aspirin is so great.

Andrew: Dr Peat, getting back again to diabetes. How do you approach it, rather than the orthodoxy, metformin or insulin, also avoiding glucose even.

RP: If you focus on stopping the liberation of fatty acids from your tissues and inhibit their conversion to prostaglandins you can usually very quickly lower your blood sugar quite a bit and feel better. The two chemicals that are most practical for lowering FFAs and stopping the stress reaction are niacinamide which has many effects but the first one is commonly associated with this inhibiting the lipase that liberates fats from your fat stores and aspirin also does that and several other things relating to liberation of FFAs and their conversion to the inflammatory mediators.

Andrew: So both niacinamide and aspirin do that job of decreasing the liberation of FFAs. Do you know the mechanism by which that is working?

RP: In the case of aspirin is both indirect and direct actions on at least two different lipase enzymes, both phospholipase and the adipose hormone-sensitive lipase that insulin controls, so insulin deficiency in itself liberates more of the FFAs, so both of these are acting directly on the enzyme which is caused to be overactive by insulin deficiency.

Andrew: Just for example, most people are pretty frightened I think of using aspirin whenever I mention aspirin to people the first thing they are always very shocked that I mentioned aspirin, is almost a complete taboo. Obviously when people start listening and reading the facts about it, they get a different opinion and as time goes on they begin to realize that perhaps there’s actually something very good in it. I know you’ve written some recent articles about antiviral activity and actually looking in it pretty intensely for other conditions surrounding potential virus problems. But Its main anti-inflammatory effect is pretty useful widespread. What would you suggest as a dose for aspirin, because the other thing people worry about is how much the bleeding, they may get bleeding if they are using too much. You recommend using vitamin K as 1mg per 325 mg tablet.

RP: Specially if a person has combined antibiotics with aspirin they might have lost the intestinal bacteria that make vitamin K and eating lots of cooked greens such as kale, and liver and some types of cheese are the best sources of vitamin K.

Andrew: Do you think most people produce enough vitamin K to offset any potential...?

RP: I don’t think it’s reliable to count on your intestinal bacteria, because so many things can interfere.

Andrew: We’re getting on the subject of endotoxin a bit later and that’s also tied up with diabetes that’s pretty interesting. So what do you thing in terms of a dose of aspirin?

RP: If your vitamin K is ok, I think it’s fine to take 2 or 3 hundred mg everyday and if it’s to correct a problem such as diabetes or some chronic inflammatory problem then I know people have temporarily taken 6 or 7,000 mg a day, like 20 standard aspirin tablets, for example.

Andrew: A little bit off base, I have heard of somebody got a recovery from HIV from using high doses of aspirin.

RP: There was a study and the government canceled it, when it was going to be too successful, because it would be terrible for the drug industry.

Caller1: I have a couple of questions. One is about liver enzymes, I have a high ALT, any suggestions?

RP: When anything is stressed, any cell, for example just hypothyroidism lowers the energy production of the cell, makes it to tend to take up water and when it takes up water it becomes somewhat porous and its natural enzymes leak out into the blood stream, and just by looking at the type of enzyme you can’t be sure whether it’s coming from a leg muscle that you strained or overstressed or a heart muscle that is being stressed or the liver, the liver is usually the place they look for enzymes, they’re concentrated in the liver, so ALT is one of those.

Caller1: The other one is about leafy greens. What’s a good amount to have? I can not digest vegetables, I use leafy greens for broth, I do raw foods which is the only thing I can digest. How much would you suggest I have per week? To meet my nutritional need.

RP: How much of which?

Andrew: I think the lady is trying to describe the greens, as in broths.

RP: The cooked greens if you eat it by the cuts and the cords it’s an adequate source of protein. If you’re not eating as a main food for protein then a 1/2 cup to a cup a day will provide your vitamin K and a generous amount of magnesium and calcium. Those are the nutrients that quickly cook out of it into the broth so if you drink only the water that you cooked a cup or so of leaves in then you get a little supplement of magnesium and calcium.

Caller1: OK, what about raw juicing?

RP: It’s pretty irritating to the intestine. Plants put their most intense defensive toxins into their seeds, but their next most intense irritants and toxins are in the leaves because they don’t want to be grazed so they put chemicals in it that tend to block your digestive enzymes. Cooking destroys most of those toxins or reduces them. If you eat them raw and if you’re not a ruminant that has evolved a stomach to handle raw leaves then you most likely will have some digestive problems.

Caller2: I want to come back to aspirin real quick if that’s ok. Dr Peat, I’ve heard you in a podcast pretty sure mention that aspirin is helpful in reducing tumor growth, I was just wondering about that. Then the other thing is I don’t know if you’re familiar with an aspirin powder, it’s called BC, and actually has caffeine in it and what I’ve been doing, just because I have a knee that hurts me often, have quite a bit of pain in it, it depends on what I’m doing but I actually have been putting baking soda and a magnesium salt (epson salt) and sometimes put some magnesium chloride in and then this aspirin with this caffeine and the baking soda, which I‘ve heard you said about the baking soda, it creates a ??? that pull these things into the body. Also correct?

RP: It has a diuretic effects and some anti inflammatory effects from the carbon dioxide itself and the caffeine acts on some of the same enzymes as aspirin does with anti inflammatory effect and they both increase your cell respiration and they both suppress nitric oxide which is one of our central risky pro inflammatory mediator which happens to poison the mitochondrial respiration, blocking it directly. So caffeine and aspirin have multi levels of defense of the mitochondria.

Caller2: Would that be pulled into the skin effectively more than likely?

RP: Caffeine goes in through the skin more easily than aspirin but some aspirin is absorbed.

Caller2: And then, everything that you just said I guess applies to tumor growth to a certain degree as well?

RP: Yeah, inflammation and respiratory defect is the motor for cancer growth. It happens that if you restore energy production in the mitochondria you’re also lowering the inflammatory stimulants that activate cell division and spreading.

Caller3: I had a couple of questions for Dr Peat about substances that induce the process of, what’s it called? Mitochondrial uncoupling, which i believe reduces ATP production and generates body heat instead, substances that generate a fair amount of ???, so my first question is: is this reduced ATP production in anyway harmful to the body?

RP: Yeah, actually. The uncouplers, when it’s a mild degree of uncoupling it prevents some of the stray free radical products that happens in the more relaxed lower intensity mitochondrion, so they know that you reduce free radical damage a little by increasing uncoupling, but another substance which uncouples mitochondria also lowers ATP a little bit and greatly protects the mitochondrion from free radicals, that’s fructose, fructose absorbs excess phosphate ions, probably that’s related to why that lowers the ATP but the absorption of the phosphate ions by fructose is in a way a direct defensive system of the oxidative system because the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme which is suppressed in cancer is why dychloroacetate is gaining so much interest because it’s a chemical that reactivates pyruvate dehydrogenase and improves the cancer metabolism and a great variety of tumors but simply lowering the free phosphate in the cell tends to reactivate this crucial enzyme at the top of the energy producing chain, and when you are supplied with aspirin, caffeine and fructose for example you’re not calling on FFAs, if you load up the cell with excess FFAs for example, from some stress, the FFAs reverse all of those processes, they block pyruvate dehydrogenase by making more phosphate ions available where the sugars bind them and lower the free phosphates, fatty acids increase them and then tend to poison the crucial enzyme.

Caller3; OK, I guess I’ll listen to that one more time on the radio. So basically this process of producing heat, does that negatively affect the thyroid? Even that is supposed to generate heat in the body? This uncoupling generates heat?

RP: It increases heat among other things, and keeping your body temperature up to an efficient high level makes all of your tissues more stable.

Caller3: So it doesn’t harm the thyroid in any way, this process of uncoupling?

RP: No, the thyroid is very compatible with that, keeping yourself slightly hyperthyroid doesn’t stress anything and keeps down those stress signals.

Caller4: Dr Peat, you mentioned earlier about using niacinamide, and I was wondering if there’s a minimum dose, a range and an upper limit for people to try it.

RP: I’ve seen really great results from something in the range of 150 to 300 mg per day divided into 3 smaller doses, but I also know people who have taken over 1000, 1500 mg for a very long time and haven’t had problems, but mainly because of all of the manufactured supplement are gonna have trace allergenic impurities I think it’s best to find the smallest amount that works for you.

Caller4: Does niacinamide need to be balanced out with any other B vitamin or other supplement?

RP: Thiamine, vitamin B1 works with the respiratory enzymes and off course you need all of them B12, B1 and biotin are very closely involved with the respiratory apparatus.

Caller4: You’ve discussed many times in your articles and interviews about the benefits of vitamin B6 and some people have found that they do better with the active form P5P (PLP), I was wondering aside from trial and error if there’s any other indicators or history
that a person may need the active form as opposed to the typical form.

RP: With either form of vitamin B6 it’s possible to overdose. I think people are finding that the active form is easier to overdose with, it used to take several hundred mg several months to produce toxic effects on the nerves, but some people are seeing that with as little as 50mg over a prolonged time with the active form. I think it’s good to start with 10mg which is far beyond the normal day’s requirement. 10 to 20 mg is almost always all a person needs therapeutically of B6.

Caller4: You’ve discussed the using the carrot salad to lower the intestinal load of bacteria and I was wondering if after some months time a person doing that hasn’t found relief for, their symptoms haven’t relieved if they were to try the drug Metranidazol also goes by the name of Flagyl, for intestinal bacterial overgrowth, perhaps a safe drug for a person to try after some time?

RP: That happens to be a pretty toxic antibiotic, so I think it’s good to try a lot of other things first. There’s some bacterial products that are more actively germicidal in intestine, there’s one that comes from Ukraine, called Biosporin that has very germicidal bacteria in it. I think there are some intestinal detoxifying or disinfecting antibiotics that are a lot safer than Metranidazol.

Caller4: I understand there’s a link with a sypo(?), with several conditions, one of them is rosacea for example, there’s a connection with hydrogen producing bacteria and methane producing bacteria and therefore Flagyl or Rufaxamin, it’s another antibiotic that it’s gone too, if it’s no safe is there one that you recommend before that?

RP: No, I haven’t had experience with those.

Caller4: This is going back quite a way, I think 6 months and in an interview you mentioned anecdotally about people with leukemia, treating it with raw egg nog I was wondering if you can elaborate on that, it’s very interesting.

RP: They were using the whole egg nog, I don’t think it was just the white.

Caller4: Yes, the yolk primarily.

RP: Fresh egg lecithin itself, has been showed to have antiviral activities, antibacterial too, but I think the white of the egg is peculiar for its ability to bind minerals, and the combination of the lecithin and the raw egg white probably has some especial germicidal effect.

Engineer: The first caller wanted to know, would like the Dr to talk about dehydration and what are the water requirements of the body. And the other question was if you can give a brief explanation of the difference between nutritional yeast and brewer’s yeast.

RP: The two types of yeast, there are actually many strains and they taste different, the brewer’s yeast that actually comes from a brewery, generally has a hops flavor in it, and so it’s very bitter. The yeasts have been growing specially for making nutritional supplement, so some of them have added chemical substances, I think selenium is one they commonly add and basically the yeast chemistry in itself is always reach in B vitamins.
And hydration, keeping your cell energy I think is the basic thing. You want to keep the cell water under control and neither too hydrated nor too dehydrated, and regulating minerals, sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium is part of that, keeping a balance between intracellular water and extracellular water. But the thing about drinking extra water when you’re not thirsty, I think thirst is almost always a good indicator of how much you need, if you’re drinking for example milk and fruit juice, that can provide all the water you need, and to try to add extra water can disturb your mineral balance and your hormone balance, for example, too much water in relation to the minerals, tends to increase your prolactin, because prolactin is a water and salt regulating hormone, among other things. So, it’s probably more important to emphasize not to push excess water rather than to remind people to drink, because usually thirst tells them when.

Caller5: I just wanted to know what would you apply on your face to get rid of age spots, please.

RP: It depends on what they are made of. Sometimes high estrogen or high polyunsaturated fats can cause a fairly sudden appearance of age spots at an area that’s irritated or sun exposed, and changing your diet away from the polyunsaturated fats and adding a little vitamin E, rubbing some vitamin E into those spots can help to remove them, there are enzymes that can break down even fairly old long standing lipofuscin pigment and vitamin E is an activator of that. If it’s largely a sun induced spot you might try rubbing some niacinamide, dissolve hypocin (??) niacinamide tablet in a tiny amount of water and apply that to the spot every day for a week or two, it fades a lot of the pigments.

Caller5: Dr Peat I think it’s because of estrogen and PUFAs for a long period of time, and also the vitamin E you get in capsules always has some soy in it, is that ok? Or should I go for a pure form of vitamin E?

RP: I think a pure (hypo??) vitamin E is good, 100 or 200 mg orally is probably enough, but you can put a little on the spot sometimes that helps the enzymes to clear it out.

Andrew: So Dr Peat, getting back to the topic of tonight, about the treatment with aspirin you mentioned niacinamide as very good regulators of FFAs expression. I want to ask, even in the presence of supplemented insulin per se, for people that are truly insulin diabetic, the nerve damage, neuropathy, these processes that diabetics still get even in the presence of insulin and those sensation loss they get, particularly in the feet or the soles of the feet which are the initial symptoms of the so called sugar excess syndrome. How is processed excess sugar when sugar is a vital energy producing currency?

RP: I’ve gone through many articles, recently I watched a video by Gurshin Zajicek, who’s a very amazing biology, a medical professor in Israel, he has a very good understanding of physiology and he has a video on diabetes and explains how the increased blood glucose is called by the brain to make up for its needs, but after explaining the compensatory effect of high glucose for the brain, he uses the term glycotoxic, for the harmful effects supposedly of glucose and basically he just resorted to a word to explain how glucose affects the other organs and looking through the literature, I see that people do that without really explaining what’s happening, why extra glucose would be harmful, if it’s within a moderate osmolarity, the mechanism just isn’t explained, even though they say it’s doing the harm. The changes in the nerves, include everything that is failing because of lack of energy and when the cells are known to be living on fatty acids and the fatty acids are intrinsically disturbing the metabolism of phosphate, turning off glucose energy production, slowing down, even activating nitric oxide, the respiratory inhibitor, you know that the energy of the cell being reduced, is going to slow all kinds of repairing processes, and incidentally in the pancreas glucose stimulates regeneration of new insulin producing cells and it’s the bad balance, too much FFAs and not enough glucose to defend the cells that causes them to die, and anywhere a cell is deprived of energy and forced to eat fatty acids instead, that’s now well recognized in heart failure. A simple treatment such as niacinamide can restore great amounts of heart energy production and improve the failure. Drugs are being developed to do the same as aspirin and niacimamide, but in nerves one of the effects of failing energy is the inability to make cholesterol and convert cholesterol into the neurosteroids, when a nerve or its supporting cells, the glyocells, when they’re injured by anything, including lack of glucose or a lack of oxygen, they not only stop producing the defensive steroids from cholesterol but they begin producing estrogen, and the diabetic brain and nerves and all of the diabetic tissues have more aromatase than a normal person of the same age, more of the enzymes which convert androgens to estrogen, and the estrogen in a healthy person, when a nerve is stressed, the activation of these enzymes which are normally inactive in a nerve, stress activates the production of a little estrogen which sends out signals to the surrounding cels to cause them to produce pregnenolone, progesterone, allopregnenolone and a hole range of protective nerve steroids, but if you don’t have the energy, you get stuck in producing just the estrogen which keeps things excited and stressed.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Project 11 (FULL): Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes, KMUD, 2014

Fantastic work, Sol, cheers. :D

I'll do the checking, as usual.

Nighteyes

Project 11 (FULL): Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes, KMUD, 2014

Sol said:
post 106729 Caller4: I understand there’s a link with a sypo(?),

Thanks for the transcript! I suppose he is talking about SIBO here? (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)

Last edited by a moderator: