Project 1 ( FULL): THE THYROID, BLOGTALKRADIO 2011

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Part 3:
Rubin- So you're touching upon that just for a lot of people listening you may want to clarify that a little bit deeper that the slow relaxation of that calf muscle can give you an indication of hypothyroidism it's because of low blood sugar, increased serotonin or calcium? Wonder if you could explain a little bit so that..?..can understand that
Peat- All of those things contribute, uh, the thyroid allows us to take up oxygen and oxidize it completely and uh in proportion to the lack of thyroid when you stimulate a muscle cell or a nerve cell uh it will use its oxygen inefficiently uh it will allow calcium to enter the cell and it will keep it there and it will tend to produce lactic acid rather than carbon dioxide and carbon dioxide produced under the influence of the thyroid is needed to carry the exciting calcium out of the cells and allow the cells to relax.
Rubin- I see.
Peat- So, so the uh all those things you mentioned are involved in the delayed relaxation.
Rubin- So just to reiterate to people or to summarize just so I understand too, so you mentioned you know it's almost like you have thyroid problems look at the thyroid. So you're really saying that high cholesterol is a huge indicator of low thyroid and that we can actually look at the contraction or the lack of there of relaxation of the calf muscle as another indicator of um we could say, I don't want to say thyroid problem, but maybe slower metabolism or maybe thyroid issue in a sense? Um is there any other things you recommend? I know you talk a lot about pulse and temperature and things like that and I'm sure that's a huge topic but maybe we can chat about why you look at body temperature and why you look at pulse and everyone else is focused on TSH and free t4 and free t3 and TPO and all this stuff and I don't know if you do or don't but maybe if you don't you could just touch on why?
Peat- Okay, um well, the idea of free and bound hormones is purely a laboratory construction and in the case of thyroid it usually has some relation to symptoms but it's a little bit analogous to reading tea leaves because the um actually when thyroid is stuck to the albumin protein which is the main protein in the blood uh it has no trouble at all getting into cells. Uh taking the thyroid into the mitochondrion, the nucleus and so on uh so the uh free thyroid test does correspond for a variety of indirect reasons to the uh real available activity of the thyroid but it's really just a laboratory construction that should be minimized.
Rubin- So in touching upon TSH what are your thoughts on TSH because I know that a lot of the different values out there are very different and they are always changing a little so if you could touch upon you know if you even recommend focusing on TSH and if you do what would you say the value would be?
Peat-Yeah, I don't recommend it as a way to diagnose uh hypothyroidism but I do recommend if you are looking at a blood test uh I would recommend having as close to zero TSH as you can get because all of the known effects of TSH are really horrible in some way. The main reason doctors are giving currently for not wanting to suppress TSH is they think because TSH uh reduces the turnover indicators of ?bone and this idea developed as a way to sell estrogen. Estrogen was never shown to increase bone growth in humans uh but it did stop the osteoclast function so it reduced bone turnover so they said this is evidence that estrogen is preventing osteoporosis because it stops the breakdown of bone and since TSH also uh stops osteoclasts and the turnover of bone doctors said if we suppress it that will cause osteoporosis but in fact it's uh the indicators that were used to uh to argue that estrogen was protecting the bones. Uh they name the protein osteoprotegrin meaning that bone protecting protein and for several years they were uh using that as a way to sell estrogen and other drugs that would increase it uh but pretty soon it turned out that osteoprotegrin is closely associated with bone loss, osteoporosis, osteopenia and calcification of the soft tissues. And , uh , it turns out that thyrotropin, TSH, had like estrogen, increases osteoprotegrin, increases the movement of calcium into your arteries and heart and out of the bone. Uh, so the main argument that doctors have for keeping your TSH up to not below one is often what they say but the very evidence is opposite of what they think it is.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Part 4 transcribed by Loess and verified by Blossom. No changes.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

It seems we only need 3 more parts verified:
- part 6 by Lindsey
- part 10 by Pboy
- part 12 by Green.

EDIT: i've checked myself these parts:

-download link for verified PART 6: https://mega.co.nz/#!Fdp1gI6T!qquGO1onI ... 6cZvpyH1oE
( added punctuations, corrected a few spelling errors, otherwise excellent transcript)

- download link for verified PART 10: https://mega.co.nz/#!BNoVHQ5a!IOAx_cjmq ... LdZUCTlwBs
(i've sorted out the inaudible parts, added many punctuations, erased some host comments which were incorrect by themselves, and erased some "uh" by Ray. Good transcript in general)

-download link for verified PART 12: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZNZVjQiZ!M8LbV6yfy ... G3V8otCOC0
(added punctuations, erased some redundant host comments, otherwise excellent
transcript)

Now the transcript is ready to be assembled !

loess

Project 1 is finished; I have posted the final transcript here. Thank you to everyone for your efforts in making these projects happen!