PROGRESS REPORT FASTEST FAT LOSS EVER THANKS TO RAYYY

OP
kreeese

kreeese

When I was 60lbs heavier I used to sweat pretty constantly (all year round). My t-shirts were stained on the sleeves from wiping the sweat off my forehead. After I lost the weight I slowly noticed that I sweated hardly at all and thought it was great that I was no longer the sweaty guy (I oddly sweated more on my face where people could see easily). I remember guys in the kitchen I worked in when I was 16 laughing because I’d sweat when stocking the fridges and freezers. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it even after I started peating (I still haven’t bought a thermometer) but this morning I got off the train a couple of stops before my office and walked in to work (something I enjoy doing).

It’s summer here and we’ve just had a couple of warmer days with high humidity (80%+). It was 80degF (28degC) at 7am this morning and by the time I walked into the kitchen I was dripping with sweat. My business shirt was quite wet in places (front and back not just the pits) and someone I know well said that it wasn’t “right” to sweat that much. I assured her it was just a sign that my metabolism was revving along happily and not to worry. I didn’t realise but there was another bloke (who’s carrying a lot of extra weight) in front of the water fountain filling his drink bottle. He was literally dripping with sweat and looked terrible (he’d only walked from the bus stop to the office). He made some crack about “that being good to know” and we had a laugh and a chat about it. It was a hot and humid morning but I noticed that some people on the street had visible sweat and others didnt. There was no discernible pattern to it.

It’s been on the back of my mind all day. I’m now glad my metabolism is recovering although I think I’m just realising how much it had slowed (I ate all day when I was a teenager and was skinny and lanky until about 18).
Good morning..wow...We are gonna get the heat and humidity here in nyc in july..and thats fascinating about who sweats alot who doesnt..I was always a huge SWEATER:) especially at a younger age....do you find fat loss and getting in shape is just so much easier and natural in summer? I feel thats when I can easily drop the pounds I guess due to being outside alot, in the sun and just being more active...I reckon you are in australia?

OP
kreeese

kreeese

...also Glassy...I liked what you said when you were a teenager you ate all day and were skinny and lanky...Its funny thats kinda what Im doing now,,Im eating all day..5 to 6 times just SMARTER and not the teenage american foods lollllll

StrongMom

@kreeese

One of the reasons you have been doing really well is I think you have a good metabolism to start with. You mentioned a pulse around 85, that is great, especially when you are "dieting". Many of us here are still working on our metabolism (that is why we are here). I hardly make it to 70 with thyroid supplements; it was in 50s when I found RP. It is easy to lose fat with a good metabolism; you mentioned your childhood, being in good shape. These are all signs that you had good metabolism, maybe weakened over the years, but you recovered back quickly. My health was not good from the beginning; I was overweight when I was a child. My whole family and relatives seem to have low metabolism. It is very hard to heal if you are coming from that background.

Also, how is your stress level? You seem to have a positive attitude to life; that's maybe because of personality, maybe metabolism, but maybe you have a less stressful life. Stress has been one of the key factors preventing me making a big progress. I seem to do well a little while, then something happens, and it really takes a few months, literally, to recover back to where I was.

Nonetheless, your progress is encouraging. I think with high fat intake you are stabilizing blood sugar and keeping stress at bay. So, the body feels at rest and burns more fat. However, I still think there is an element of keto here as a glass of oj with three eggs in the RP world is considered not enough sugar.

Last edited:

managing

When I was 60lbs heavier I used to sweat pretty constantly (all year round). My t-shirts were stained on the sleeves from wiping the sweat off my forehead. After I lost the weight I slowly noticed that I sweated hardly at all and thought it was great that I was no longer the sweaty guy (I oddly sweated more on my face where people could see easily). I remember guys in the kitchen I worked in when I was 16 laughing because I’d sweat when stocking the fridges and freezers. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it even after I started peating (I still haven’t bought a thermometer) but this morning I got off the train a couple of stops before my office and walked in to work (something I enjoy doing).

It’s summer here and we’ve just had a couple of warmer days with high humidity (80%+). It was 80degF (28degC) at 7am this morning and by the time I walked into the kitchen I was dripping with sweat. My business shirt was quite wet in places (front and back not just the pits) and someone I know well said that it wasn’t “right” to sweat that much. I assured her it was just a sign that my metabolism was revving along happily and not to worry. I didn’t realise but there was another bloke (who’s carrying a lot of extra weight) in front of the water fountain filling his drink bottle. He was literally dripping with sweat and looked terrible (he’d only walked from the bus stop to the office). He made some crack about “that being good to know” and we had a laugh and a chat about it. It was a hot and humid morning but I noticed that some people on the street had visible sweat and others didnt. There was no discernible pattern to it.

It’s been on the back of my mind all day. I’m now glad my metabolism is recovering although I think I’m just realising how much it had slowed (I ate all day when I was a teenager and was skinny and lanky until about 18).
I think cortisol must play a role. Its getting better for me, but I used to long for being cold. I don't mean wearing a sweater in the sun on a 75 degree day like a lo-carber. But to be cold when it is appropriate. I get that now. But I also can feel cold yet tolerate it comfortably. When my metabolism was bad, I could go do something mildly strenuous--say 5 trips up one flight of stairs loading things in the car and get overheated while wearing a t-shirt and its 50 degrees (F). At my best, I can be wearing a light sweater and loading the car in 65 degrees. I feel warm. Want to take the sweater off. But I'm not sweating egregiously and I can tolerate doing it with the sweater on as well. I think its about being comfortable in a broad range of conditions even if you feel a little warm or a little cold.

I think its easy to equate "being hot and sweaty" with having good metabolism. I think this is what you are alluding too in your conversation with your co-worker. One of you is warm and feels good, not weak, faint, tired, overheated. And the other is just metabolically taxed in every way.

YourUniverse

In my fittest days (coincidentally doing keto), I COULD NOT COOL OFF, I would sweat like crazy, I had insomnia seemingly just due to BODY HEAT. After a workout, I would literally go out in the parking lot, take my shirt off, and wring it out like I had just swam in the ocean. I find carbs cool me off. I think it was cortisol making me too hot (but also made me incredibly lean), and sugar helps turn that cortisol off

OP
kreeese

kreeese

@kreeese

One of the reasons you have been doing really well is I think you have a good metabolism to start with. You mentioned a pulse around 85, that is great, especially when you are "dieting". Many of us here are still working on our metabolism (that is why we are here). I hardly make it to 70 with thyroid supplements; it was in 50s when I found RP. It is easy to lose fat with a good metabolism; you mentioned your childhood, being in good shape. These are all signs that you had good metabolism, maybe weakened over the years, but you recovered back quickly. My health was not good from the beginning; I was overweight when I was a child. My whole family and relatives seem to have low metabolism. It is very hard to heal if you are coming from that background.

Also, how is your stress level? You seem to have a positive attitude to life; that's maybe because of personality, maybe metabolism, but maybe you have a less stressful life. Stress has been one of the key factors preventing me making a big progress. I seem to do well a little while, then something happens, and it really takes a few months, literally, to recover back to where I was.

Nonetheless, your progress is encouraging. I think with high fat intake you are stabilizing blood sugar and keeping stress at bay. So, the body feels at rest and burns more fat. However, I still think there is an element of keto here as a glass of oj with three eggs in the RP world is considered not enough sugar.
I disagree with you completely...people make strange assumptions without knowing or meeting me...I have a very slow and sluggish metabolism put on a shitload of weight had a destructive suicidal midlife crisis that lasted almost 5 years and seeked help...lol I found ray peat I turned and am continuously turning my life around...Im eating a ton of sugar increasing carbs everyday and I feel keto is a complete joke I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Keto is usually about 30 grams of carbs...Im now at 250 or so...I wish you all the best.
I just keep experimenting and finding what works FOR ME....Spirit of Peat!

OP
kreeese

kreeese

In my fittest days (coincidentally doing keto), I COULD NOT COOL OFF, I would sweat like crazy, I had insomnia seemingly just due to BODY HEAT. After a workout, I would literally go out in the parking lot, take my shirt off, and wring it out like I had just swam in the ocean. I find carbs cool me off. I think it was cortisol making me too hot (but also made me incredibly lean), and sugar helps turn that cortisol off
very interesting...and that is true u can be very lean yet not healthy stressed and obviously u sensed that and changed your ways:)

StrongMom

I disagree with you completely...people make strange assumptions without knowing or meeting me...I have a very slow and sluggish metabolism put on a shitload of weight had a destructive suicidal midlife crisis that lasted almost 5 years and seeked help...lol I found ray peat I turned and am continuously turning my life around...Im eating a ton of sugar increasing carbs everyday and I feel keto is a complete joke I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Keto is usually about 30 grams of carbs...Im now at 250 or so...I wish you all the best.
I just keep experimenting and finding what works FOR ME....Spirit of Peat!

Hey, I didn't mean to offend you anyway. We are all trying to understand the science/reasons behind your success. If that is your story, it is even more encouraging.

In regards to sugars, I am not talking about the total sugar consumption per se; rather, the sugars with respect to proteins in a meal. As far as I understand (RP mentioned it several times in different contexts), a glass of oj with three eggs is not enough sugarwise, but probably given your fat consumption you are not triggering a stress reaction and burning fat instead.

OP
kreeese

kreeese

Hey, I didn't mean to offend you anyway. We are all trying to understand the science/reasons behind your success. If that is your story, it is even more encouraging.

In regards to sugars, I am not talking about the total sugar consumption per se; rather, the sugars with respect to proteins in a meal. As far as I understand (RP mentioned it several times in different contexts), a glass of oj with three eggs is not enough sugarwise, but probably given your fat consumption you are not triggering a stress reaction and burning fat instead.
no worries! I hate forums lol Not offended at all! I shine in person I suck at typing ...Im sure you understand!

Glassy

...also Glassy...I liked what you said when you were a teenager you ate all day and were skinny and lanky...Its funny thats kinda what Im doing now,,Im eating all day..5 to 6 times just SMARTER and not the teenage american foods lollllll

I grew quickly and quite tall. I remember being always hungry (craving protein and fat) but my mum (yeah Australian) was into low fat margarine and low joule everything. I ate whatever I could get basically and was lanky until I started working in a kitchen and had a constant buffet of fried foods which then progressed to steaks and chicken breast as my tastes refined. I was 220lbs and 6’4 at 18 then slowly got heavier until I hit 280 odd over the next 10 years. I lost roughly 45lbs through lots of hard work and diet (it was a struggle) got married and then put it all back on again over the next 10 years. I still have the appetite of that teenager but not the metabolism (yet). I’m lucky that I had a highish metabolism otherwise I would have ballooned more and sooner than I did. To give you an indication of my appetite I did 2 x man Vs Food challenges this year involving 1kg burgers and a lot of fries (both done in under 15 mins). I shudder at the thought of what that many fries did to me. I always liked to eat a lot (not binge) but just keep eating until I was truly satisfied. My quest right now is to eliminate PUFAs and bring my metabolism back up. Weight loss has been put on the back burner but if it comes I’m not going to be stopping it.

I think cortisol must play a role. Its getting better for me, but I used to long for being cold. I don't mean wearing a sweater in the sun on a 75 degree day like a lo-carber. But to be cold when it is appropriate. I get that now. But I also can feel cold yet tolerate it comfortably. When my metabolism was bad, I could go do something mildly strenuous--say 5 trips up one flight of stairs loading things in the car and get overheated while wearing a t-shirt and its 50 degrees (F). At my best, I can be wearing a light sweater and loading the car in 65 degrees. I feel warm. Want to take the sweater off. But I'm not sweating egregiously and I can tolerate doing it with the sweater on as well. I think its about being comfortable in a broad range of conditions even if you feel a little warm or a little cold.

I think its easy to equate "being hot and sweaty" with having good metabolism. I think this is what you are alluding too in your conversation with your co-worker. One of you is warm and feels good, not weak, faint, tired, overheated. And the other is just metabolically taxed in every way.

Yeah - I could see that the other guy was definitely not in a good way and he was also hot and sweaty. My initial thought was that it’s a good sign but that other guy got me thinking. I’d walked about 5km that morning at a brisk pace breathing through my nose and practicing slow controlled breathing (I think of it as Buteyko but I’m no expert). That contrast was what got me thinking so intensely. Is being hot healthy? Am I actually hot or do I just feel hot? Why do big people sweat more? Why do some big people not sweat? Does being hot increase your metabolism or is your body temperature just an indication of your relative metabolic state? Is it better for me to be uncomfortable in the heat outside or in air conditioned comfort? I know I can get warm by exercising but what does that prove or not prove? Is sweating again something to be concerned about or am I just returning to my more natural state?
I find that I like to ask questions, tentatively answer them and then ask more questions. Eventually the answers either become apparent or are left somewhat unanswered.

Good morning..wow...We are gonna get the heat and humidity here in nyc in july..and thats fascinating about who sweats alot who doesnt..I was always a huge SWEATER:) especially at a younger age....do you find fat loss and getting in shape is just so much easier and natural in summer? I feel thats when I can easily drop the pounds I guess due to being outside alot, in the sun and just being more active...I reckon you are in australia?

Usually the opposite funnily enough. Summer in the sub tropics can be taxing (heat, humidity and rain) and I find myself doing less outside. It also coincides with Christmas festivities which leads to indulgence. Winter here is cool but dry (low humidity) and the days are shorter but beautiful (less intense sun and blue skies). It would be more convenient to try losing weight in/for summer but I wasn’t able to get into that rhythm (bodybuilders call winter the off season where they bulk under heavy clothing and then cut for summer). I never really lost enough weight to feel comfortable bulking but my approach to peat is akin to a slow bulk and I’m feeling stronger than I ever have (which isn’t saying a lot given how little I’ve lifted weights over the past 20 years).

OP
kreeese

kreeese

Usually the opposite funnily enough. Summer in the sub tropics can be taxing (heat, humidity and rain) and I find myself doing less outside. It also coincides with Christmas festivities which leads to indulgence. Winter here is cool but dry (low humidity) and the days are shorter but beautiful (less intense sun and blue skies). It would be more convenient to try losing weight in/for summer but I wasn’t able to get into that rhythm (bodybuilders call winter the off season where they bulk under heavy clothing and then cut for summer). I never really lost enough weight to feel comfortable bulking but my approach to peat is akin to a slow bulk and I’m feeling stronger than I ever have (which isn’t saying a lot given how little I’ve lifted weights over the past 20 years).

Very Kool..Indeed different then our ny summers...Long hot generally very humid...You brought up sooo many interesting questions and points. Thanks for all this!! I forgot your summers coincide with Christmas the holidays etc. REALLY REALLY TUFF TIME FOR ME HERE LOL Food drinks PUFAS SWEETS STARCHES run amok lollll...I take it also Glassy you are somewhere in the 220s now?? Sorry I couldnt figure out the math. I also started removing PUFAS and then I started taking away starches and grains which got me to this Thread formation seeing Im heading in the right direction...Also regarding your fascinating questions of heat...I feel we can as humans regulate this and we DO naturally from season to season...for example I feel with this way of eating I am nice and warm and toasty now in the winter. But with some adjustments I will not and do not want to remain "hot" in the summer months comming...just my 2 cents...Interestingly I found Ray Peat via a fellow named Matt Stone. I read his blog posts andhe kept referencing EATING FOR HEAT...lol I had no idea what he was talking about at the time! hahaa Now I am starting to understand.

Glassy

Very Kool..Indeed different then our ny summers...Long hot generally very humid...You brought up sooo many interesting questions and points. Thanks for all this!! I forgot your summers coincide with Christmas the holidays etc. REALLY REALLY TUFF TIME FOR ME HERE LOL Food drinks PUFAS SWEETS STARCHES run amok lollll...I take it also Glassy you are somewhere in the 220s now?? Sorry I couldnt figure out the math. I also started removing PUFAS and then I started taking away starches and grains which got me to this Thread formation seeing Im heading in the right direction...Also regarding your fascinating questions of heat...I feel we can as humans regulate this and we DO naturally from season to season...for example I feel with this way of eating I am nice and warm and toasty now in the winter. But with some adjustments I will not and do not want to remain "hot" in the summer months comming...just my 2 cents...Interestingly I found Ray Peat via a fellow named Matt Stone. I read his blog posts andhe kept referencing EATING FOR HEAT...lol I had no idea what he was talking about at the time! hahaa Now I am starting to understand.

I’m not sure what the relationship between feeling hot and your body temperature actually is (I keep meaning to pick up a thermometer to record temps). My wife always says I’m hot and then follows on with “not in that way” after I thank her. I know I find it hard to sleep until my body temperature drops a bit and that it drops quite a bit more once I’m asleep (it’s something I noticed a long time ago). My heart beat is sitting at around 76bmp when resting and I managed to raise it to about 82 using a few controlled breathing pauses (not that I think that is in itself does me any benefit - I was just interested to see what the affect is.

Yeah my weight is sitting at around 124lbs and it was down around 112 before Christmas (at the end of my last effort to cut to 200). It was becoming a struggle and decided I needed to rethink my strategy. Unlike many folks on here I didn’t suffer a crisis before turning to Peatism but I could have if I carried on the way I was going. Being that heavy is inhibitive for activities like surfing where weight is quite a handicap and makes general activity harder (I only have to put my 60lb daughter on my shoulders to remind me of what it was like).

I’m been thinking about your diet and wondering how many calories you’re getting from coconut oil? I’ve come to believe that calories matter but there’s many aspects and moving parts to the CICO equation. Some calorie sources can’t be used for energy very well and some cost a significant amount of energy to digest/process (eg most proteins). Our understanding and estimates of useable energy in food is quite flawed. Coconut oil is interesting because it provides a great deal of usable energy but it also raises metabolism more than other fats (people theorise that it can’t be easily stored in adipose tissue and needs to be “burnt”). The story Ray refers to of the farmer unsuccessfully trying to fatten his livestock on cheap coconut waste is very powerful and has been used to promote coconut oil as a healthy fat. Just wondering how much of your daily calorie intake is coconut oil and if that could be helping. As far as I can tell your only other major fat source is your cheese, eggs and beef - which I’m guessing is reasonably lean based on the cuts.

OP
kreeese

kreeese

I’m not sure what the relationship between feeling hot and your body temperature actually is (I keep meaning to pick up a thermometer to record temps). My wife always says I’m hot and then follows on with “not in that way” after I thank her. I know I find it hard to sleep until my body temperature drops a bit and that it drops quite a bit more once I’m asleep (it’s something I noticed a long time ago). My heart beat is sitting at around 76bmp when resting and I managed to raise it to about 82 using a few controlled breathing pauses (not that I think that is in itself does me any benefit - I was just interested to see what the affect is.

Yeah my weight is sitting at around 124lbs and it was down around 112 before Christmas (at the end of my last effort to cut to 200). It was becoming a struggle and decided I needed to rethink my strategy. Unlike many folks on here I didn’t suffer a crisis before turning to Peatism but I could have if I carried on the way I was going. Being that heavy is inhibitive for activities like surfing where weight is quite a handicap and makes general activity harder (I only have to put my 60lb daughter on my shoulders to remind me of what it was like).

I’m been thinking about your diet and wondering how many calories you’re getting from coconut oil? I’ve come to believe that calories matter but there’s many aspects and moving parts to the CICO equation. Some calorie sources can’t be used for energy very well and some cost a significant amount of energy to digest/process (eg most proteins). Our understanding and estimates of useable energy in food is quite flawed. Coconut oil is interesting because it provides a great deal of usable energy but it also raises metabolism more than other fats (people theorise that it can’t be easily stored in adipose tissue and needs to be “burnt”). The story Ray refers to of the farmer unsuccessfully trying to fatten his livestock on cheap coconut waste is very powerful and has been used to promote coconut oil as a healthy fat. Just wondering how much of your daily calorie intake is coconut oil and if that could be helping. As far as I can tell your only other major fat source is your cheese, eggs and beef - which I’m guessing is reasonably lean based on the cuts.
YOU ARE SPOT ON!! BTW I think you meant you are currently 224?? not 124?? or did u mean kilos? sorry for misunderstanding! and yesss Coc. oil has been a game changer LOVE RAYS STORIES AND STUDIES...I listen almost daily to every interview I can find of Ray and Coc. oil was mentioned so many times favorably that I started using it for cooking and just straight outta the jar the last 5 to 6 weeks...AMAZING RESUTS. I would say anywhere from 400 to 700 calories per day,,,It goes in my coffee with my cottage cheese fry my eggs and steak with it...its the secret I have been looking for...Yet I know all of you here are smiling thinking "this guys slow...this is old news":)) and actually I always seek and ask what is the fattest cut of beef with the most saturated fat in it...when Im at the butcher or the grocery store...So yeah high saturated fat low on pufas and high in sugar had been the key for me Senior Glassy!!

OP
kreeese

kreeese

sorry forget to mention the ridiculous CICO...I do not believe in counting calories or cutting calories at all!!! I believe in increasing my metabolism and eating more!! but of the BURNING foods...again I listen to Ray talk about eating like 10k calories knocking out 2 or more pints of ice cream a day and not being able to add weight because of his coc. oil intake...WELL....ITS FREAKIN TRUE...loll in my experience...I am actually having a hard time gaining even on overeating days...again provided I didnt eat any grains starch cereals breads bagels pata --you know the usual suspects!! BTW what is your daily current eating plan like?? Thanks Mate
Chris Rocco

firebreather

@kreeese my apologies for my comment about it being difficult to believe your story.

I could have worded my thoughts differently about the temperature without being rude.

I like the stuff your posting and saying and have been trying to steer my foods more in this direction in the last few days.

Yesterday I noticed that my feet were not cold and sweaty which is pretty big for me.

Thank you for posting this journal

managing

@Glassy : sounds like Brisbane, or maybe elsewhere in Queensland?

Your thought process sounds familiar, so bring it on. Its an argument I've made here time and again. High pulse can be bad. Being hot can be bad. If I eat and soon after get hot and tire out and sweat easily, that seems like a metabolic fault. If I eat and feel great for hours; if I can get hot but not feel sweaty and exhausted, but invigorated, that seems like good metabolism.

To me the litmus test has become I want to feel the cold (when it is cold), but I shouldn't feel chilled. If I can't feel cold when its 40F and I run out to car to get something, that is a problem. However, I should be able to run out to the car when it is 40F and not feel chilled/uncomfortable.

I am curious if by chance you have any hearing problems?

managing

@kreeese my apologies for my comment about it being difficult to believe your story.

I could have worded my thoughts differently about the temperature without being rude.

I like the stuff your posting and saying and have been trying to steer my foods more in this direction in the last few days.

Yesterday I noticed that my feet were not cold and sweaty which is pretty big for me.

:+1
Doing an about face instead of doubling down is a sign of character/maturity.

OP
kreeese

kreeese

no I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG AND OVERLY SENSITIVE!! Im a real passionate guy here in NYC. I dont do forums and back and forth with people who I dont even know are real or whatever...So all I wanted to do was make a thread of this weight fat loss success I am having after listening tons of Ray peat interviews and reading his articles and PUTTING MY OWN TWIST ON IT! lol So I apologize to you my friend! I was wrong. any questions please let me know..here to help!! or learn from you!
Chris Rocco nyc

OP
kreeese

kreeese

@Glassy : sounds like Brisbane, or maybe elsewhere in Queensland?

Your thought process sounds familiar, so bring it on. Its an argument I've made here time and again. High pulse can be bad. Being hot can be bad. If I eat and soon after get hot and tire out and sweat easily, that seems like a metabolic fault. If I eat and feel great for hours; if I can get hot but not feel sweaty and exhausted, but invigorated, that seems like good metabolism.

To me the litmus test has become I want to feel the cold (when it is cold), but I shouldn't feel chilled. If I can't feel cold when its 40F and I run out to car to get something, that is a problem. However, I should be able to run out to the car when it is 40F and not feel chilled/uncomfortable.

I am curious if by chance you have any hearing problems?
very Kool! Its definitely a balance..when I feel outta whack with the weather outside...something is wrong! agreed

firebreather

no I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG AND OVERLY SENSITIVE!! Im a real passionate guy here in NYC. I dont do forums and back and forth with people who I dont even know are real or whatever...So all I wanted to do was make a thread of this weight fat loss success I am having after listening tons of Ray peat interviews and reading his articles and PUTTING MY OWN TWIST ON IT! lol So I apologize to you my friend! I was wrong. any questions please let me know..here to help!! or learn from you!
Chris Rocco nyc

I totally get it man. I think I would have responded the same way.

Look forward to seeing more of your journey