Progesterone Weight Gain And Gut Dysbiosis

Osteo33

Hi there
I’ve noticed and since read that taking progesterone can cause weight gain esp in those with gut dysbiosis.
Can someone explain the mechanism for this?
Thanks

lisamarie1010

Hi there
I’ve noticed and since read that taking progesterone can cause weight gain esp in those with gut dysbiosis.
Can someone explain the mechanism for this?
Thanks

I am new to Peat and the Forum as well - and have been taking Progest-E, loving it - and suddenly I broke out all around my application locations. AND< yes, I gained MUCH weight. Very interested to know too!

lampofred

I read about this in Nathan Hatch's book but I lost the book and can't go back to confirm, but I think he said it's because progesterone is inducing some protective response against the gut bacteria. I know that doesn't really make sense, wish I still had the book so that I could go back and reread that part.

I do remember him saying the weight gain was a good and protective thing though.

lisamarie1010

I have read Nathan too: going through the massive amount of information again. Yes, I understand there is a healing- and a patience -to gain weight before your body can recalibrate and rebalance.

LUH 3417

The weight I gain in progesterone doesn’t look healthy at all though. It’s dimpled and my skin looks like it’s aged so much in the past few years. Even my thigh skin is starting to look old. I never had cellulite on my arms and now I do. I would rather be healthy than have nice looking skin but more than that I rather not have to choose. Feel like my friends and cousins who are my age work out every day and diet and have great taut looking skin and here I am avoiding exercise and taking progesterone and looking like my mom.no offense to my mom.

lisamarie1010

Honestly, Oh I totally relate to absolutely everything you wrote. Would prefer to not make a choice.
I have just decided to start exercise again, and yes, I definitely have more dehydrated-looking skin. Especially the top of my thighs, totally dry in big patches.
Does anyone have anything to say about the skin looking older/dryer - with progest-e? I thought it would help younger-looking, hydrated skin and tissue.

OP
Osteo33

Osteo33

@pinocolada I read it in Nathan Hatch’s book. I’ll find his explanation
Here it is

Thanks Lisa. Progesterone makes your body work better—typically during gut dysbiosis the body automatically stores extra weight in response to the presence of the types of microbes present. The stress of this condition can actually impair some people's weight gain stimulus in this situation if their health isn't that great, and the body always responds to stress by storing fat as a protective mechanism. Because progesterone makes your body work better, this process is enhanced, and is reflected similarly to what occurs during pregnancy, but it also increases your resistance to the microbes and increases your metabolic rate, regardless.

LUH 3417

@pinocolada I read it in Nathan Hatch’s book. I’ll find his explanation
Here it is

Thanks Lisa. Progesterone makes your body work better—typically during gut dysbiosis the body automatically stores extra weight in response to the presence of the types of microbes present. The stress of this condition can actually impair some people's weight gain stimulus in this situation if their health isn't that great, and the body always responds to stress by storing fat as a protective mechanism. Because progesterone makes your body work better, this process is enhanced, and is reflected similarly to what occurs during pregnancy, but it also increases your resistance to the microbes and increases your metabolic rate, regardless.
Thank you!

LUH 3417

Honestly, Oh I totally relate to absolutely everything you wrote. Would prefer to not make a choice.
I have just decided to start exercise again, and yes, I definitely have more dehydrated-looking skin. Especially the top of my thighs, totally dry in big patches.
Does anyone have anything to say about the skin looking older/dryer - with progest-e? I thought it would help younger-looking, hydrated skin and tissue.
It’s supposed to help wrinkles around the eye. Ray has recommended it quite a few times (not sure if it was in podcasts or email responses but I know I’ve definitely read it). I guess I have to start lifting weights...

lampofred

I think copper and zinc might help with having taut, young-looking skin. Maybe trying eating more oysters for copper and zinc and drinking coffee/OJ/taking aspirin regularly to chelate iron, which antagonizes copper/zinc?

Progesterone might be antagonizing copper, which would worsen skin quality. But just increasing copper without increasing zinc (as with beef liver) might have negative effects.

LUH 3417

I think copper and zinc might help with having taut, young-looking skin. Maybe trying eating more oysters for copper and zinc and drinking coffee/OJ/taking aspirin regularly to chelate iron, which antagonizes copper/zinc?

Progesterone might be antagonizing copper, which would worsen skin quality. But just increasing copper without increasing zinc (as with beef liver) might have negative effects.
I think you are right because I notice every month that I decide to up my dose of progesterone I start to get those little white spots on some of my nails which some people believe are a sign of zinc deficiency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals