Progesterone Use For Males

lvysaur

Peat attributed his dental decay to a period of high wheatgerm consumption.

Do you have the quote by any chance?

While grains aren't good for the teeth, I'm absolutely convinced that unbalanced progesterone is bad as well. Perhaps Peat was not supplementing enough with K, since I haven't heard him talk much about it.

Brian

Do you have the quote by any chance?

While grains aren't good for the teeth, I'm absolutely convinced that unbalanced progesterone is bad as well. Perhaps Peat was not supplementing enough with K, since I haven't heard him talk much about it.

He was eating large amounts of concentrated wheat germ. Not just normal grains. It looked great on paper to him at the time as it appeared to hit all the nutritional requirements, but in practice obviously it is very high in substances that interfere with absorption and deficient in calcium.

I wonder how much he was actually eating. 2 cups of wheat germ does indeed look very impressive on cronometer nutrient wise, except for calcium, but of course that doesn't mean a thing if it isn't absorbed and if it damages the body in other ways. It is easy to imagine that this much wheat germ could cause serious long term problems.

Peat is just like the rest of us. He has made hugely misguided dietary mistakes because it looked good on paper or in theory until he realized that instinct for naturally good tasting foods such as good quality dairy, fruit, and eggs make a lot more sense as health promoting staples.

Apparently when Peat was at Blake College he thought highly of wheat germ. A google search shows it was even mentioned in a biography about Madelyn Murray O'hair who Peat offered a teaching position to out of kindness (the kind of crazy Atheist activist lady from the 50's and 60's). The Mexican Police thought Peat was making wheat-germ pancakes for students as some kind of way to get hallucinogens into the students for mind control.

UnGodly

The On the Back of a Tiger guys also mentioned that Peat told this to them in his interview.

"We heard about his own journey to health, including an ill-fated nutritional experiment that destroyed his teeth back in the 50s (short story: don’t try to live off wheat germ)."

Eugene, October 8th, 2014

That being said, my experience also seems to suggest that excessive progesterone supplementation can have some negative consequences. My few experiences of rubbing Progest-E on my gums initially gave my very healthy looking gums, but I think I overdid it and they eventually became irritated. I have also noticed that the amount of exogenous hormone supplementation I can handle is very dependent on thyroid/magnesium status.

Last edited:

dookie

I've never taken progesterone, but I am 100% sure that taking zinc and b6 simultaneously ramps up my endogenous progesterone.
How can you be "100% sure" if you haven't even tried progesterone?

It definitely lowers estrogen, and by extension, DHT. It also makes you very emotionally loving/trusting, and it reduces dental health. I think this has something to do with peat's missing teeth, since he's mentioned that his mother was taking progesterone while pregnant with him.
I find it funny how people come up with things about Peat's life or something he said

Just because zinc and b6 gives you teeth issues doesn't mean Peat had teeth issues because his mom took progesterone. All these things seem a bit... unconnected

Go try some progesterone, and let us know if it indeed gives you teeth issues, and if it feels similar to B6 or zinc.

I've tried all these supplements and can say they don't compare at all.

dookie

That being said, my experience also seems to suggest that excessive progesterone supplementation can have some negative consequences. My few experiences of rubbing Progest-E on my gums initially gave my very healthy looking gums, but I think I overdid it and they eventually became irritated.
Did progesterone give you other side effects besides the irritated gums?

I have also noticed that the amount of exogenous hormone supplementation I can handle is very dependent on thyroid/magnesium status.
So if you take thyroid and magnesium at the same time you can tolerate more progesterone?

What doses are you using?

Brian

Did progesterone give you other side effects besides the irritated gums?

So if you take thyroid and magnesium at the same time you can tolerate more progesterone?

What doses are you using?

Yes, I think it also lowered DHT or testosterone based off the lowered libido I noticed when I took it without already having sufficient thyroid/DHEA/magnesium/zinc present.

I think if you are too low in magnesium/thyroid/DHEA than taking it at the same time as a hormone supplement may not be enough. I think it's better to build up magnesium/thyroid status to a decent level first before trying any hormone supplements. I haven't really done much thyroid hormone supplementation so I can't comment on that.

My guess though is that a magnesium/thyroid/progesterone/DHEA would be a positive combo in small amounts all at one time if you were already at a decent state of health.

When I have had positive effects from progesterone it has always been very small amounts, I don't really know the dose, basically about as small as drop as possible from Progest E and with about 0.5-2 mg of DHEA.

And I'm not necessarily big on hormone supplementation as a way to jumpstart things. For me, it has been better to hit the magnesium/P5p B6 and maybe a little cypro (for calcium blocking) and later zinc first to get a good baseline of mineral status. I'm just beginning to experiment with more hormone supplementation stuff now that I feel my magnesium and zinc are in a good place. I have tried in the past and never had good results until now.

Last edited:

Drareg

Progesterone could have increased facial symmetry, I posted a study today on how female ovulation effects symmetry.

jaguar43

I've never taken progesterone, but I am 100% sure that taking zinc and b6 simultaneously ramps up my endogenous progesterone.

It definitely lowers estrogen, and by extension, DHT. It also makes you very emotionally loving/trusting, and it reduces dental health. I think this has something to do with peat's missing teeth, since he's mentioned that his mother was taking progesterone while pregnant with him.

How do you know it makes you very emotional loving/trusting if you have never taken it ?

As a male I have used it for long periods and it didn't make me loving/trusting. At least for me it made me more forthright and decisive most likely due to the decrease in estrogen.

It does lower libido though. There is a gradient at the beginning that it actually helps with libido until it tops off. but then decreases over time. So maybe lowering the dose or add DHEA may help with libido.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Accidentally took a very large amount (it was spilling out of the bottle on account of pressure change) and I didn't want to waste it. Ha. Killed my erections for about 12 hours, but I just took some DHEA and boner powers are restored. It got me wondering if a combo DHEA/progesterone administration is ideal... Helping to supress estrogen but keep testosterone up? Any thoughts ? Subsequently lowering my dose to 1 drop of progesterone a day. One of my last health issues remaining, varicocele, seems to be improving very quickly this time on progesterone.

jaguar43

Accidentally took a very large amount (it was spilling out of the bottle on account of pressure change) and I didn't want to waste it. Ha. Killed my erections for about 12 hours, but I just took some DHEA and boner powers are restored. It got me wondering if a combo DHEA/progesterone administration is ideal... Helping to supress estrogen but keep testosterone up? Any thoughts ? Subsequently lowering my dose to 1 drop of progesterone a day. One of my last health issues remaining, varicocele, seems to be improving very quickly this time on progesterone.

Ray Peat has said that is a good combination.

milk_lover

Have you tried pregnenolone+DHEA instead? Maybe pregnenolone is better for men.

DocHolliday

I experienced a setback which I now recognize as the application of coconut oil (fat) to my testicles. It should have been apparent to me that since fat impairs Testosterone, it's not a good idea to apply fat to the male genitals, even good fat.

Can you elaborate or provide some litterature supporting this claim? :)

marsaday

Any idea on how long the progest E lasts for. I take it every day, and just use 1 drop in the morning. It has helped my health a huge amount this last year. I have now run into some problems this last week. Feeling tired later in the day, nervous as well. I have started to use another drop of progest E in the evening and it helps.

So i am thinking the progestE has a limited shelf life after we buy and open it. My bottle is 9 months old.

Anyone else experienced any issues with this product and its age ?

I am a thyroid patient as well and take 150 T4 per day.

OLLNX

It surprised me a lot to read about progesterone's negative effect on libido. I am a male in my late 40's. I have been taking progest E for a month and a half coupled with zinc and pregnenolone. My libido literally went through the roof. To the point that I'm horny all the time and it effects my work performance.

johnwester130

Progesterone does not damage teeth, that's a wild assumption.

It can lower DHT, but studies show it increasing DHT.

Do people confuse 5ar and DHT as the same ?

TreasureVibe

So some people state that progesterone only causes more estrogenic symptoms in males, usually without going away for months.

So what is the truth about progesterone therapy for males?

lampofred

So some people state that progesterone only causes more estrogenic symptoms in males, usually without going away for months.

So what is the truth about progesterone therapy for males?

I think progesterone may only be a problem if you have a lot of estrogen or if you're not getting enough calcium (I read on fuckportioncontrol.com which is a site created by the original poster of this thread that progesterone redirects calcium to primary biological functions like bone building first and to secondary biological functions like testosterone production only afterwards, and that progesterone lowers testosterone only if you're taking an excess relative to your calcium intake). I took massive, massive amounts of progesterone, and it had all the good effects (much better socially, glow-y skin and hair, calmness in any situation/elimination of anxiety, loss of fat on legs/hips) without any feminization or bad effects such as breast growth. It did lower my libido but I think that's due to it lowering adrenal androgens, definitely not because it actually caused impotence. The only day I ever noticed any breast growth on progesterone was the morning after I smoked a large amount of marijuana, which is strongly estrogenic, which makes me think that breast growth needs an ample amount estrogen to occur and can't happen if you have only an excess of progesterone and not estrogen. Drinking a lot of coffee, which strongly increases DHT, quickly eliminated that breast growth in one day however, so it was not permanent at all.

TreasureVibe

I think progesterone may only be a problem if you have a lot of estrogen or if you're not getting enough calcium (I read on fuckportioncontrol.com which is a site created by the original poster of this thread that progesterone redirects calcium to primary biological functions like bone building first and to secondary biological functions like testosterone production only afterwards, and that progesterone lowers testosterone only if you're taking an excess relative to your calcium intake). I took massive, massive amounts of progesterone, and it had all the good effects (much better socially, glow-y skin and hair, calmness in any situation/elimination of anxiety, loss of fat on legs/hips) without any feminization or bad effects such as breast growth. It did lower my libido but I think that's due to it lowering adrenal androgens, definitely not because it actually caused impotence. The only day I ever noticed any breast growth on progesterone was the morning after I smoked a large amount of marijuana, which is strongly estrogenic, which makes me think that breast growth needs an ample amount estrogen to occur and can't happen if you have only an excess of progesterone and not estrogen. Drinking a lot of coffee, which strongly increases DHT, quickly eliminated that breast growth in one day however, so it was not permanent at all.
Ugh I am getting so confused right now. One person tells me that progesterone is only good for you when you are high in estrogen, and now you are telling me that it is bad for you when you are high in estrogen.

Which one is it??

I now find benefit in 2 or 3 mg progesterone per day. Sometimes 5 or 6. Sometimes none. It makes my libido more steady and calm. I think overall it is beneficial.