Progesterone Use During Pregnancy And The Effects On Child Intelligence

Do you plan to use or have you used progesterone during pregnancy?

• No, we neither have used nor plan to use progesterone during pregnancy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atman

Since Ray often mentions the anecdotes of children whose mothers have taken progesterone during pregnancy having a significant higher IQ than average, I ask myself whether some of you have used or plan to use progesterone for that purpose too.
I myself am now near that age where having children becomes a topic and so I ask myself why I shouldn't give my partner progesterone during pregnancy, since there seems to be no real danger in doing so.
The community around Ray Peat exists now for around 10 years at least, so there should exist plenty of people who might have tried it.

For those of you who have used it:
Have you noticed that your children are significantly more intelligent than their peers (corrected for parent bias of course :) )?

For those of you who decided to not use it:
What were your reasons for the decision? Any concerns?

Some references (Pro/Contra):
Intelligence and prenatal progesterone a reappraisal; Katharina Dalton 1979
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1437068/pdf/jrsocmed00284-0011.pdf

Prenatal progesterone I. Its effect on development and on intellectual and academic achievement;
A Lynch, W Mychalkiw, S J Hutt 1978
Prenatal progesterone. I. Its effect on development and on intellectual and academic achievement - PubMed

Last edited:

Beastmode

My wife used progesterone quite a bit in different stages of her pregnancy. The last month or so she really loaded up to over a 100mg per day, which isn't that much for a pregnant woman.

I don't have another child to compare this with, but our 3 year old (just turned 3) seems to be quite ahead of her peers in regards to language, making sense of things and asking questions/explaining them, etc. We take a pretty holistic approach to her in regards to creating an environment to see what emerges through/from her rather than trying to show everyone how "smart" she is. I'm not sure if has to do with how we raise her and/or the copious amounts of progest-e my wife took.

She's stubborn as hell and seems to have a pretty strong sense of what she wants and doesn't. 3 going on 16...:seenoevil:

My daughter had progesterone shots during her pregnancy with my grandson who is 3 now. She didnโ€™t have them with her twins even though she gave birth 10 weeks premature. That was almost 11 years ago and my grand twins are pretty intelligent, but their little brother is exceptionally bright. His mother is a preschool teacher, so there are many children his age to compare his intelligence to. Of course, I am biased.

Anyway, I did recommend progesterone and a fertility blend supplement to help her get pregnant. She wasnโ€™t having problems with that but a good friend of hers was. So she recommended the progesterone and fertility blend. I also recommended them to my sister in-law who had been trying to get pregnant. They both got pregnant right away and had very successful pregnancies and deliveries. Now I know that it was probably just the progesterone and not the herbal supplement. Also, Iโ€™m not sure if they continued with the progesterone throughout their pregnancies. My niece is very intelligent. Although, she has two older sisters, I canโ€™t say if she is smarter than them when they were her age.

Does iodine protocol do the same thing?

Why should it, what would be the mechanism? You mean the megadosages in milligrams? Optimal physiologic nutrition and perfected protein and fatty acid compositions will be intrumental for optimal health.

OP
Atman

Atman

Thank you for your replies! @Tracy @Beastmode

Let's see if some more will come around and share their experiences/opinions.

baccheion

Why should it, what would be the mechanism? You mean the megadosages in milligrams? Optimal physiologic nutrition and perfected protein and fatty acid compositions will be intrumental for optimal health.
There's some association with progesterone and opposition of estrogen.

Mad

I used progesterone my whole pregnancy. A couple drops of progest e every day, then the last week or two I was tapering off. I don't have too much to comment on the intelligence of my baby... Of course I think he's very smart, but he's also only 9 months old.
I used it mostly because I thought it might help prevent miscarriage and support my thyroid, both of which were an issue for me before this pregnancy.

Spondive

My 3rd girl is 5... I convinced my wife to take a grain of desiccated thyroid and 100 mg of compounded bio identical progesterone throughout pregnancy... of my three girls she is exceptionally curious and asks intelligent questions and is very comedic. She also is the happiest of the three... I smile because she skips around always in a great mood