Progesterone To Boost Low Cortisol Levels

Sagitarrius90

As per the thread title, would proesterone be a safe option to raise cortisol instead of hydrocortisone?

I have low cortisol from a 4 point saliva test and my doctor refuses to treat and ive tried other doctors as well and they just say im depressed

In theory i see it can raise cortisol down the steroid pathway but has anyone tried raising morning and day cortisol levels with progesterone?

Im following a peat diet and using 2mcg thyroid 3-4 days times a day (tyronene and using insuling synringe to get 2mcg)

Thanks!

marsaday

I use ProgestE. Was on it for 2 1/2yrs until last summer when i reduced down and this autumn stopped. I was on 2 drops per day.

I am now back using it at 1 drop every other day. It boosted testosterone initially, but i cant say how it worked for cortisol. I know it improved thyroid uptake because i had the blood results from when i started using it.

So i assume it upped cortisol action.

I think you only need a little of it and cycling is a good idea.

I am now trying just 1 drop (3mg) every other day as i have noticed i have developed aching arms and joints this winter. Is this related to stopping the progesterone ? It is a possibility and so i want to see how i get on using it again. I suppose i will have an answer in a few months.

sunraiser

As per the thread title, would proesterone be a safe option to raise cortisol instead of hydrocortisone?

I have low cortisol from a 4 point saliva test and my doctor refuses to treat and ive tried other doctors as well and they just say im depressed

In theory i see it can raise cortisol down the steroid pathway but has anyone tried raising morning and day cortisol levels with progesterone?

Im following a peat diet and using 2mcg thyroid 3-4 days times a day (tyronene and using insuling synringe to get 2mcg)

Thanks!

Get dawn light in your eyes, moderate screen time and go very low screen brightness in the evening plus bed at a reasonable time.

If you're out walking in the morning at dawn plus eating a balanced diet including enough sodium your cortisol should normalise. I've felt improvements in days this way!

I'd definitely give this a go before using exogenous hormones.

The closer to dawn you can be on your feet with light in your eyes the better.

It'll likely feel exhausting at first if you're very out of sync, but give it a couple days. Being outside for 15 to 60 minutes should be fine!

If you decide to try it then it'd be interesting to hear your results.

PS get outside as much as is reasonable during the day (maybe a short walk during work lunch break or something). It doesn't need to feel stressful or aimless or pressured, just get some light in your eyes to prompt correct cortisol cues.

Last edited:

RayPeatFan777

those saliva tests are crap. it can show low cortisol but its actually high.

Look up the DUTCH test videos and they will explain why.

RayPeatFan777

i cant find the video that explains this, could you link to it?
Sorry I have no idea but it was either on the videos tab on their site or Youtube.

Im not sure how reliable the DUTCH test is but my results made a lot of sense for my situation and corresponded with some blood tests.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Saliva tests are only for the free fraction. In cases where cortisol have been elevated chronically, CBG is elevated so you might have high cortisol, most bound up, and low free cortisol giving the idea that you have low total cortisol.

A.R

Thanks!
I would try cortinon. Good balance of progesterone and dhea to counter the anti androgen effects

Darleen

those saliva tests are crap. it can show low cortisol but its actually high.

Look up the DUTCH test videos and they will explain why.
I agree with this. My saliva cortisol was always low on these and I started to question it when I worked for a doctor that did them and the majority of patients had low saliva cortisol.