Progesterone Suppresses GAD enzyme MRNA (If progesterone excites you, it may be glutamate)

Peeno

Progesterone increases glutamate in the brain via blocking GAD enzyme

activity, this can lead to overexcitation and depression via glutamate excess.

From the start the use of Progesterone felt bad to me and I knew it was more than the anti androgenicity of the hormone. It's the only thing that has ever depressed me so bad I began to loose touch with reality. A combination of low cortisol and high glutamate in the brain is menacing to say the least. Its clearer now that the problem was glutamate, for example I'd wake up grab my bowl of rice crispies (cereal) and BOOM after downing that milk I'd be comatose, more glutamic acid = more glutamate = major depression.

Gaba initiates dopamine release and glutamate the opposite, Glutamate-Dependent Inhibition of Dopamine Release in Striatum Is Mediated by a New Diffusible Messenger, H2O2

How to fix

In my case ensuring enough Estrogen is around in my brain prevents the rise in the glutamate/gaba ratio. "basal levels of estrogen might contribute to a balance between the excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission "

I hope this helps those who
might have this problem with progesterone.

activity, this can lead to overexcitation and depression via glutamate excess.

From the start the use of Progesterone felt bad to me and I knew it was more than the anti androgenicity of the hormone. It's the only thing that has ever depressed me so bad I began to loose touch with reality. A combination of low cortisol and high glutamate in the brain is menacing to say the least. Its clearer now that the problem was glutamate, for example I'd wake up grab my bowl of rice crispies (cereal) and BOOM after downing that milk I'd be comatose, more glutamic acid = more glutamate = major depression.

Gaba initiates dopamine release and glutamate the opposite, Glutamate-Dependent Inhibition of Dopamine Release in Striatum Is Mediated by a New Diffusible Messenger, H2O2

How to fix

In my case ensuring enough Estrogen is around in my brain prevents the rise in the glutamate/gaba ratio. "basal levels of estrogen might contribute to a balance between the excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission "

I hope this helps those who
might have this problem with progesterone.

What did your bloods look like? Also were you taking any medications at the time?

aliml

GAD1 is a gene that produces GAD67. This enzyme breaks down the anxiety-inducing neurotransmitter glutamate into calming neurotransmitter GABA . So the more of this enzyme we have, the more relaxed we'll feel.

Substances That Increase GAD1:

-- Estrogen
-- Testosterone
-- Glucose
-- Methionine
-- Quercetin
-- Zinc
-- Apple Cider Vinegar
-- Nicotine
-- Reserpine
-- Propranolol

This is old, I realize, but I came across it as I am researching high dose progesterone to heal the brain. These seem like very specific situations and brain regions (cocaine dependence, areas associated with ovulation). I am curious if there is any other research, since Ray Peat generally considers progesterone to be calming and healing. Neural excitation would be quite the opposite of healing. He is also not a fan of estrogen, though many women do better with some. It's all pretty confusing.

Back
Top Bottom