Progesterone Side Effects (Hair Loss, Aching Joints) - How To Tackle?

Thecookie1

I have tried using progesterone several times (Progest E); it helps so much with my sleep since becoming menopausal but it makes my hair fall out much worse and I develop joint pain. I have tried at least 5 times and this seems to happen each time. Can Someone help explain what might be happening. Thanks! The cookie1

SaltGirl

Are you making sure you're getting enough calcium and sodium? Progesterone is an aldosterone blocker which will increase the loss of sodium and calcium if your intake is inadequate.

OP
T

Thecookie1

I think I am; I am drinking milk, eating cottage cheese and regular cheese every day and I use quite a bit of Celtic sea salt. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thecookie1 said:
I think I am; I am drinking milk, eating cottage cheese and regular cheese every day and I use quite a bit of Celtic sea salt. Any other suggestions or ideas?
When I eat cottage cheese I have about 1/4 tsp of eggshell powder with it because of the low calcium content of cottage cheese.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thecookie1 said:
Okay, thanks, I will try that....how much calcium do I need per day?
Between 1200mg and 2000mg generally speaking. I use the cronometer and go more by calcium/phosphorus balance which would minimally 1:1 up to 2:1.

HDD

Thecookie1 said:
I have tried using progesterone several times (Progest E); it helps so much with my sleep since becoming menopausal but it makes my hair fall out much worse and I develop joint pain. I have tried at least 5 times and this seems to happen each time. Can Someone help explain what might be happening. Thanks! The cookie1

Could it be possible you are not using enough progesterone? These quotes are from Peatarian and the woman in the first quote is not menopausal.

viewtopic.php?t=626&p=3435
"She started using progest-e-complex a year ago. The first three weeks nothing happened so we thought it might not work. She was using a drop three times a day then. She still had trouble sleeping, was losing hair, felt cold ... I found that sometimes using too little progesterone is worse (in the beginning) than using none. It seems to bring out the symptoms of estrogen dominance more strongly"

"female hair loss: Usually stops as soon as you use enough thyroid and progesterone. As long as you don't use estrogen and alcohol or smoke. "

Also, are you getting adequate protein?

natedawggh

When you said you tried 5 times, do you mean you stopped and started progesterone 5 times?

Boy here, but I had the same side effects. After about a week on progesterone my temperatures soared to fever range and I was achy for about two days, but it passed and I used it for another two months without a reoccurrence. Peat said this was just the thyroid activating. Being male, I didn't think I should be on it long so I stopped, but then insomnia and skin issues returned (that Proge had fixed) so I went on it again. The second time I again had the high temps and aches, and it again passed after two days. This time I stayed on it but I did notice some marked hair loss, at my temples. It was dramatic for about a month and then slowed to a stop after two (I kind of freaked out, but stayed on progesterone because of the other good effects). I can only imagine that it maybe has something to do with the increased metabolism and perhaps a particular deficiency of those cells that was revealed by the progesterone, not unlike when thyroid supplementation can reveal underlying diseases, and was not caused by the progesterone.

The good news is that it has stopped receding for the last three months, and since so many of my other health markers are improving, I'm sure my hair will come back, since hair is first to go and the last to return when dealing with metabolic problems.

Stramonium

When you said you tried 5 times, do you mean you stopped and started progesterone 5 times?

Boy here, but I had the same side effects. After about a week on progesterone my temperatures soared to fever range and I was achy for about two days, but it passed and I used it for another two months without a reoccurrence. Peat said this was just the thyroid activating. Being male, I didn't think I should be on it long so I stopped, but then insomnia and skin issues returned (that Proge had fixed) so I went on it again. The second time I again had the high temps and aches, and it again passed after two days. This time I stayed on it but I did notice some marked hair loss, at my temples. It was dramatic for about a month and then slowed to a stop after two (I kind of freaked out, but stayed on progesterone because of the other good effects). I can only imagine that it maybe has something to do with the increased metabolism and perhaps a particular deficiency of those cells that was revealed by the progesterone, not unlike when thyroid supplementation can reveal underlying diseases, and was not caused by the progesterone.

The good news is that it has stopped receding for the last three months, and since so many of my other health markers are improving, I'm sure my hair will come back, since hair is first to go and the last to return when dealing with metabolic problems.

Hey Nathan can you give us an update on the effects of Progesterone on your hair? I'm curious since I'm experiencing the exact same thing on my temples. Did you continue to use progesterone?

Motif

What skin issues did you have? And they were gone after few days on prog?