Progesterone Not Helpful For Brain Injury?

A.R

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1411090

"Primary and secondary efficacy analyses showed no clinical benefit of progesterone in patients with severe TBI. "

I read on this forum that ray Peat has spoke of the benefits of progesterone on brain health, so was interested in this mass study which had been conducted

mrchibbs

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1411090

"Primary and secondary efficacy analyses showed no clinical benefit of progesterone in patients with severe TBI. "

I read on this forum that ray Peat has spoke of the benefits of progesterone on brain health, so was interested in this mass study which had been conducted

I think the NEJM is one of the least trustworthy sources (I know blasphemy!). But it's the #1 journal of the establishment, and has deep ties to the industry. These types of articles are always published to set the way for a proprietary drug (made from progesterone) which is itself found to be very effective, and then can proceed to make a lot of money.

rei

Maybe it was the soy oil. This trial seems a bit suspect to me.
Do you know of any studies that investigate the effect of mainlining soybean oil and lecithin? I thought mainlining PUFA has even been used to prevent organ transplant rejection. So it has an extremely powerful effect, i just don't know the details of this, what dose was needed etc.

J

jb116

lol
I think their constant pathetic attempts are hysterical.
This is related to Syn@pse (I'm replacing the 'a' with an @ as I don't want to promote this nonsense in Google indexing).
That is related to Prev@cus related to PRV-002.
They've stated in the patents it is 'a progesterone solution'
"PRV-002 is a fully synthetic non-naturally occurring neurosteroid administered through the nasal cavity."

Meaning: a synthetic progestin used in an unsaturated emulsion.
It's garbage.

mrchibbs

lol
This is related to Syn@pse (I'm replacing the 'a' with an @ as I don't want to promote this nonsense in Google indexing).
"PRV-002 is a fully synthetic non-naturally occurring neurosteroid administered through the nasal cavity."

It's garbage.

Thanks for clarifying. And of this bs published in possibly the most ''prestigious'' journal. lol The Pharma industry controls everything and uses the scientific journal to shape the narrative in order to sell medication

shepherdgirl

For a paper that's studying progesterone, it seems their "progesterone" study drug is extremely watered down. One drop of progest-e has about 3.5mg of progesterone, and it's a 10% concentration. Their "progesterone" study drug has 2mg of progesterone per ml, waaaay less.
In the second Methods section of the paper, they say they added 2mg of progesterone per ml to a "lipid emulsion" which is 6% soybean oil - what about the rest of the lipids in the emulsion? A high- PUFA solution would erase the benefits of Progesterone.
Also, I'm not confident that progesterone will combine easily with anything other than vitamin E.

I haven't even read the full text, but this study is about severe(!) TRAUMATIC brain injury. That is severe brain injury caused by an external force!

Simple example: You get hit on the head by a rock, so hard that you would die of brain injury. Then progesterone won't save your life.

Ok. But that doesn't mean that progesterone may not be helpful for brain health otherwise, e.g. for an impaired brain metabolism.

rei

lol

It's garbage.
Thanks for the hint, this was my first hunch and i made sure twice they talked about progesterone, not progestin. Yet it is a progestin. That level of deception is criminal.

shepherdgirl

Thanks for the hint, this was my first hunch and i made sure twice they talked about progesterone, not progestin. Yet it is a progestin. That level of deception is criminal.

Oh wow. Not even real progesterone. How pathetic.

mrchibbs

So criminal and you can bet this ''finding'' has been used to justify many other drugs in the past 5 years since it was published

mrchibbs

Wouldn't they want to promote their progestin products?

Well overtly they're referring to progesterone, not the progestin which it is in fact. I'm betting if the results had been good, they would said, oh this drug is fabulous, but since it didn't work, it's ''progesterone''

mangoes

I haven't even read the full text, but this study is about severe(!) TRAUMATIC brain injury. That is severe brain injury caused by an external force!

Simple example: You get hit on the head by a rock, so hard that you would die of brain injury. Then progesterone won't save your life.

Ok. But that doesn't mean that progesterone may not be helpful for brain health otherwise, e.g. for an impaired brain metabolism.

I don’t get your point? the idea is that progesterone could be helpful in the recovery of the brain after a tbi. Obviously it can’t prevent an external force like the tbi itself but, according to animal studies, it can reduce or even abolish cerebral edema leading to secondary injury, and help the brain regenerate with better outcomes by stabilising and increasing cell survival. So in a critical time after a tbi it could potentially reduce death or disability.

But this is all if it can be extrapolated to humans, I read quite a bit about it when someone I know had a tbi. Here’s a study purporting progesterones protective effects in severe traumatic brain injury in humans Improved outcomes from the administration of progesterone for patients with acute severe traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals