Progesterone - Not A Sex Hormone, But A Systemic Health Hormone

haidut

Forum Supporter
An older study, but some great information in there. Not only does it call attention to the fallacy of progesterone being nothing more than a "sex" hormone, but it also warns about the fallacy of equating the synthetic progestins with bioidentical progesterone. At least, when it comes to vascular/heart/muscle effects. Over the last 15 years I met only one doctor who was aware of the difference between progesterone and the synthetic progestins and even that doctor claimed progesterone is clinically obsolete and offers nothing that the synthetic progestins do not. Yet, the study authors below claim that it is precisely the decline in progesterone, and NOT estrogen, after menopause that may be driving the increased risk of CVD in both women (and in aging males too). It is always a pleasant surprise to see that there is least one well-known researcher that has not yet completely lost his/her mind and continues to expose the fallacies surrounding progesterone.

Weill Cornell Researcher Shows How Progesterone Is Not Just Sex Hormone but Blood Pressure Hormone - NewYork-Presbyterian

"...Research from Weill Medical College of Cornell University and other institutions provides new evidence that the sex steroid hormone progesterone is also a vasoactive hormone that directly affects blood vessels. This finding sheds light on both the drop in blood pressure that usually accompanies pregnancy (when progesterone levels are high) and the rise in blood pressure that often occurs in women after menopause (when the production of progesterone falls off). It may also focus and sharpen the debate on the value of female hormones in long-term cardiovascular protection."

"...As explained by senior author Dr. Lawrence M. Resnick, Professor of Medicine at the Hypertension Center of Weill Cornell, hormones such as progesterone have previously been thought of primarily in terms of their most obvious reproductive function. Progesterone is produced by the ovaries in the second half of the menstrual cycle, after the release of the egg, to help prepare the uterus to receive and nurture the fertilized egg. Indeed, the highest levels of this hormone in the body are observed during pregnancy. But progesterone is also produced, in men as well as in women, by the adrenal gland (just above the kidneys) as well as by the ovaries, and progesterone affects other parts of the body besides the reproductive system, such as the heart, the brain, and blood vessels."

"...Results showed that progesterone (1) dilated, or opened up, blood vessels, (2) prevented the rise in blood pressure caused by adrenalin-like hormones and other stimuli, and (3) blocked the uptake of calcium by calcium channels in smooth muscle cells in much the same way as the blood-pressure-lowering drugs known as calcium channel blockers. Dr. Resnick observes that it has been known since the 1950s that progesterone is a mild diuretic—increasing the loss of sodium from the kidney into the urine. Aside from this mechanism, he says, "It turns out that progesterone may also play a role in regulating blood pressure by its direct calcium-channel-blocking-like effects on blood vessels."

Although most attention has focused on estrogen, the other main female sex steroid hormone, the effects of withdrawing progesterone at the time of the menopause may also contribute to the increased incidence of high blood pressure in postmenopausal women. Dr. Resnick observes, "As you know, the benefit of giving women female hormone replacement therapy after the menopause for long-term cardiovascular protection has not been as clear as initially hoped. This may be because some recommendations include estrogen only, and some use estrogen with synthetic progestins, not real progesterone." Dr. Resnick says the difference between the synthetic progestins and natural progesterone may be important. "Most of the synthetic progestins are closely related to male hormones like testosterone. Unlike progesterone itself, male hormones may have opposite effects, to promote calcium uptake and facilitate smooth muscle constriction, rather than blocking it as does natural progesterone. So the proper regimen for postmenopausal women is still a very open question—it may be that only with the naturally occurring progesterone will hormone replacement therapy be more clearly protective." Dr. Resnick adds that his research may potentially lead to the development of new therapies to treat hypertension and hardening of the arteries with age."

Beastmode

One of the few supplements that I take that makes an obvious difference within 20 min. I can feel the difference with 1 drop rubbed into my gums, but 3 is my magic #. More calm, relaxed and almost feel like my brain can handle more "input" afterward. As a man, it doesn't create any low T symptoms like some claim.

I use progest-e if anyone is interested.

opethfeldt

One of the few supplements that I take that makes an obvious difference within 20 min. I can feel the difference with 1 drop rubbed into my gums, but 3 is my magic #. More calm, relaxed and almost feel like my brain can handle more "input" afterward. As a man, it doesn't create any low T symptoms like some claim.

I use progest-e if anyone is interested.
Do you use it chronically? I think most handle it find at first but the anti androgenic effects appear over time. I can't handle any amount of oral prog but topical is better tolerated.

Scenes

Do you use it chronically? I think most handle it find at first but the anti androgenic effects appear over time. I can't handle any amount of oral prog but topical is better tolerated.
I’ve used prog long term and find it better than keto dht or preg and in a lot of ways better than test.

Alongside oysters or zinc, my libido and erections and hang and all that are probably better on prog than off.

Test is good and makes me more driven, prog makes me more relaxed and chill. That’s the only anti-androgenic side I notice.

opethfeldt

I’ve used prog long term and find it better than keto dht or preg and in a lot of ways better than test.

Alongside oysters or zinc, my libido and erections and hang and all that are probably better on prog than off.

Test is good and makes me more driven, prog makes me more relaxed and chill. That’s the only anti-androgenic side I notice.
Wow. That's interesting. How were your estrogen levels before you started prog?

Beastmode

I don't use it chronically. The only thing I take more consistently is T3.

I don't think it has much of an anti-androgenic effect if you're mitigating enough of the "stressors" in your lifestyle. Consistent quality sleep, proper nutrients, daily movement and sun are my "chronic" drugs of choice.

Infinite

Are you using oral or topical progesterone?

Scenes

Wow. That's interesting. How were your estrogen levels before you started prog?
Topical. Muscles are bigger, lines up with what Haidut says about cortisol/progesterone and muscle.

Not sure on my estrogen levels, just trying to find the balance between healthy hair/skin/muscle and libido/sexual functioning. Seems to be difficult to achieve improvements in both simultaneously for me, but prog ticks the boxes.

Topical. Muscles are bigger, lines up with what Haidut says about cortisol/progesterone and muscle.

Not sure on my estrogen levels, just trying to find the balance between healthy hair/skin/muscle and libido/sexual functioning. Seems to be difficult to achieve improvements in both simultaneously for me, but prog ticks the boxes.
@Scenes So is that progesterone cream or what, and where do you apply it.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States

After using prog for about a week I can say confidently that recovery time is significantly improved and I've added 1/2 inch to neck measurement, similar to bicep measurement. Not a significant difference in weight so can most probably attribute to fullness of muscle?

opethfeldt

I'm glad progesterone works well for you. It does for me, as well. However, I definitely notice it has feminizing effects on me. I also don't get any anabolic effects. In fact, my felts reduce in size on prog. Keep in mind, I'm an adrenal type, through and through. I think prog may be calming my adrenals and lowering my adrenal androgen output and thus femininizing me. So it may not be an actual effect of the prog itself but a systemic effect. At any rate, it makes me feel great and vastly improves my mood and stress tolerance.

Scenes

I'm glad progesterone works well for you. It does for me, as well. However, I definitely notice it has feminizing effects on me. I also don't get any anabolic effects. In fact, my felts reduce in size on prog. Keep in mind, I'm an adrenal type, through and through. I think prog may be calming my adrenals and lowering my adrenal androgen output and thus femininizing me. So it may not be an actual effect of the prog itself but a systemic effect. At any rate, it makes me feel great and vastly improves my mood and stress tolerance.
You used to dabble a lot with keto dht and likely other things. What’s your take on keto dht these days and what do you currently prefer if anything?

T

TheBeard

Any male noticing better sleep on progesterone cream?

I'm about to place an order for progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy to counter the wiring up effects of testosterone at night.

T

TheBeard

Sorry I missed this one. Progest-e mostly, occasionally progestene from Haidut or even cortinon (dhea + prog).

Applied topically to forearms or belly button or rarely to gums/lips.

@TheBeard yeah it absolutely helps with sleep.

Thanks a lot.
I'm going to give it a shot then, I'm way too amped up at night from the testosterone to sleep.

Risingfire

Thanks a lot.
I'm going to give it a shot then, I'm way too amped up at night from the testosterone to sleep.
Prog/Dhea corrects my circadian rhythm. I'm usually tired by 11pm and sleep well through the night when I take consistently

Disclaimer - small amounts only

Iceman2016

Prog/Dhea corrects my circadian rhythm. I'm usually tired by 11pm and sleep well through the night when I take consistently

Disclaimer - small amounts only

Do you take both together or separately and what time of the day? I'm asking specifically with regard to helping with your sleep.

Risingfire

I take cortinon(idealabs) which is a combo in vitamin E. I will take 15/5(prog/dhea) in the morning before I leave the house and then again right before bed.