Progesterone + DHEA = massive hairloss ? What the hell ?

DeadCatBounce

Yesterday took Cortinon 3:1 ratio and today I am shedding like crazy ! Took only 2 drops and added a bit of progestene to get to 1:10 ratio. 20mg progesterone , 2mg DHEA. My hair is reacting super badly and got a dozen hairs everytime I get my hand throught my hair.

Had a slight shedding last time I experimented with progesterone. So slight that really did not bother me because the benefits were amazing - sleep, energy, mood etc were amazing and long lasting even though I used only for 1 week they remained. The shedding though persisted for some time too.

What is going on here ?

Anyone had similar experience ?

GreekDemiGod

It's the DHEA converting to Estrogen. Easily one of the worst things I've ever tried.
How old are you? In younger people, DHEA reacts badly.
Do you have digestive issues?

OP
DeadCatBounce

DeadCatBounce

It's the DHEA converting to Estrogen. Easily one of the worst things I've ever tried.
How old are you? In younger people, DHEA reacts badly.
Do you have digestive issues?
35 yo. No digestive issues whatsoever. Fixed them long time ago.

Got 8umol/l DHEA-S on the latest bloods range 5 to 12.7.

Maybe should leave it until I am 50+ or something ?

Was hoping for some muscle boost but not at the expense of my hair.

Jessie

It's not estrogen, with only 2mg of DHEA that likely wouldn't happen. And that's by itself. Combining it with progesterone makes it impossible. More than likely the DHEA converted to DHT, or progesterone converted to androstenedione --> testosterone --> DHT. Or it could be both,.

I'm not really on board with the idea that DHT is a "harmless" player in hair loss. The evidence implicating the two is not sparse to say the least, and Danny's theories on hair loss is intriguing, but considering he never really suffered from hair loss to begin with, I don't really think he should be taken seriously.

Phaedrus

Peat has recommended applying topical mix of progesterone and DHEA on the scalp for hair growth. As others have stated, the conversion of DHEA to estrogen does seem to be largely dose dependent, and I suppose topically on the skin you might not absorb quite as much or metabolize it as quickly compared to oral ingestion?

Sexypizza

Thats weird, I had the opposite experience, Hair growing thicker with time if I apply progesterone/dhea on the skin in small doses. Are you sure you're taking the right dose?

OP
DeadCatBounce

DeadCatBounce

@Phaedrus I get estrogen conversion even with 2mg DHEA
Feels like estrogen. A bit of anxiety today since waking up and before saw the hair falling out which made things worse. But not entirely sure. Progesterone alone at 20mgs makes me calm as a cucumber.

Maybe some paradoxical reaction ? Wonder whether I should try again once the shedding stops. Maybe topical this time. 2mg of DHEA on paper seems super low. But since you and others get similar reactions, maybe I am from your club.

Thats weird, I had the opposite experience, Hair growing thicker with time if I apply progesterone/dhea on the skin in small doses. Are you sure you're taking the right dose?
I did take 20mg of Prog and 2mg of DHEA. Pretty sure I dosed "right". Maybe this is not the dose for me though.

tallglass13

Feels like estrogen. A bit of anxiety today since waking up and before saw the hair falling out which made things worse. But not entirely sure. Progesterone alone at 20mgs makes me calm as a cucumber.

Maybe some paradoxical reaction ? Wonder whether I should try again once the shedding stops. Maybe topical this time. 2mg of DHEA on paper seems super low. But since you and others get similar reactions, maybe I am from your club.

I did take 20mg of Prog and 2mg of DHEA. Pretty sure I dosed "right". Maybe this is not the dose for me though.
Things that grow hair sometimes cause an initial shed , for example minoxidil. I dont think sheds are particularly good, but just a reminder that things that actually grow hair like minox and fin , people usually complain of shedding.

sunny

Can the dhea be topical and the Progest-e be oral on the gums at the same time to prevent estrogen, or they need to be mixed together and applied? I am doing g the former.

johnwester130

Yesterday took Cortinon 3:1 ratio and today I am shedding like crazy ! Took only 2 drops and added a bit of progestene to get to 1:10 ratio. 20mg progesterone , 2mg DHEA. My hair is reacting super badly and got a dozen hairs everytime I get my hand throught my hair.

Had a slight shedding last time I experimented with progesterone. So slight that really did not bother me because the benefits were amazing - sleep, energy, mood etc were amazing and long lasting even though I used only for 1 week they remained. The shedding though persisted for some time too.

What is going on here ?

I don't think it is estrogen

I don't think it is DHT/testosterone

You are just reacting badly to it, maybe it ramped up your metabolism too much or you cannot handle the substance

Maybe not eating enough/ or poor nutrition

Risingfire

You are just reacting badly to it, maybe it ramped up your metabolism too much or you cannot handle the substance

More likely this. People don't eat oysters and liver on a weekly basis.

Also, Ray has stated that people shouldn't take dhea until their thyroid function is working better

OP
DeadCatBounce

DeadCatBounce

More likely this. People don't eat oysters and liver on a weekly basis.

Also, Ray has stated that people shouldn't take dhea until their thyroid function is working better
Well , I do eat liver weekly for many years even before finding Peat, I knew this is super important. Also about two liters of raw organic milk from the best farm in the country. Everyday for the last several years. Was kinda on the right track by self experimentation.

I put gelatin in everything pretty much, especially the coffee and the milk. A lot of freshly squeezed orange juice from very sweet ripe oranges. A bit of beef muscle meat everyday and 2-3 eggs from pasture raised chickens. I do balance the meat with ripe fruits and calcium source , usually a bit of cheese again from the same organic farm. Balancing the calcium with homemade magnesium bicarbonate with 99.9% magnesium hydroxide.

No starch, no cheat meals at all. Ever.

Metabolism seems OK, after the initial fat gain when switched from 12 years of Keto/Carni, I am getting super lean and gaining a bit of muscle with minimal training , TSH is below 1 and all hormones close to ideal levels. Low Prolactin, Low Estrogen etc.

I do not eat oysters though. Never have. Maybe should add them which is what I was thinking for some time. Not enough zinc or something. Will go buy some to see if this fixes the issue.

Matestube

What is going on here ?

Applied on the skin or orally ?

It's definitely not the progesterone, that thing gives you lush shiny thick hair.

Every time I take DHEA transdermally on the scrotum I shed like crazy, become very irritable, sleep poorly, and have the most insane libido. I still don't know what hormone to attribute those effects to : DHEA, androsterone, androstenedione, or estrogen.
Definitely not due to testosterone or DHT as I regularly take those two in massive doses, and they don't give me any of those effects in such a pronounced way.

76er

I do not eat oysters though. Never have. Maybe should add them which is what I was thinking for some time. Not enough zinc or something. Will go buy some to see if this fixes the issue.
It seems from your comment that you are getting plenty of milk, red meat, and liver, which would yield plenty of zinc and other key vitamins and nutrients. So regarding oysters: save your money.

OP
DeadCatBounce

DeadCatBounce

It's definitely not the progesterone, that thing gives you lush shiny thick hair.

Every time I take DHEA transdermally on the scrotum I shed like crazy, become very irritable, sleep poorly, and have the most insane libido. I still don't know what hormone to attribute those effects to : DHEA, androsterone, androstenedione, or estrogen.
Definitely not due to testosterone or DHT as I regularly take those two in massive doses, and they don't give me any of those effects in such a pronounced way.
Orally.

Progesterone indeed is a beauty hormone. Love it. But DHEA is a completely different story. Feels like I got irradiated or something ( :

I am also pretty sure it is not T or DHT. Have taken them just like you with minimal hair problems or non at all. Had higher estrogen while taking T without AI and had perfect hair. Estrogen gives me acne, mostly and some restlessness/anxiety. Must be some of the other metabolites or DHEA itself doing something. Had poor sleep two nights in a row and the insane uncontrollable libido was present as well.

BearWithMe

Sounds like cortisol and/or adrenaline