Progesterone And PUFA Metabolism

OP
Dan W

Dan W

ttramone said:
So what does that mean Dan??

Well don't ask me hard questions! :lol: I'm guessing the person that sent it to me just found it interesting because it was showing progesterone changing PUFA behavior.

Dewitt

The longer chain ALA metabolites are preferentially stored as fatty tissue, together with oleic acid. It may be a detoxifying mechanism of sorts.

Mittir

The study kind of raise question about the use of progesterone in RP view.
RP has said that DHA is more toxic than EPA and EPA is more toxic than
ALA , DHA has more double bonds than ALA. If progesterone is increasing
this conversion of ALA to DHA, it can not be good. May be it is good in whole system.
Only RP can explain this study. These kind of complicated studies are unsettling without
expert interpretation. By expert, i mean at least a PhD in biology related field.
Most people can get a basic idea from simple studies.

Dewitt

On the other hand, the increased conversion doesn't matter if you don't eat any PUFAs in the first place.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dewitt said:
On the other hand, the increased conversion doesn't matter if you don't eat any PUFAs in the first place.

Do you think it would convert already stored fat? Some of us still carrying around a lot of PUFA. :(

Dewitt

Charlie said:
Dewitt said:

Do you think it would convert already stored fat? Some of us still carrying around a lot of PUFA. :(

Oh yes, that could happen. Or at least it could convert the stored PUFAs that have been liberated. Thanks, I haven't thought about that.

Lucha

Can it be a causes of pain and sun senstivity produced by progesterone?

Lucha

And another one question: Relationship between serum progesterone concentrations and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and mortality in elderly Swedish men and women: An 8-y... - PubMed - NCBI

Relationship between serum progesterone concentrations and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and mortality in elderly Swedish men and women: An 8-year prospective study.

In these elderly Swedish men and women, increased physiologic concentrations of progesterone were found to be associated with an increased prevalence of CHF, independent of inflammatory factors, markers of renal function, and insulin metabolism.