Progesterone 5 Alpha Reductase

OrangeJello

Hello I have question about progesterone. In some articles I read it says progesterone is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor, in other places 5AR is involved in Progesterone function and conversion or something. I am a little confused by this. As you know 5AR is a culprit in hair loss. So in theory would progesterone increase 5AR and hair loss? Any experience?

haidut

Forum Supporter
OrangeJello said:
post 53206 Does anyone have some info?

The neurosteroid allopregnanolone is synthesized from progesterone by the enzyme 5-AR. If progesterone was inhibiting 5-AR then it would not convert much into allopregnanolone. However, in reality progesterone converts very easily to allopregnanolone, which suggests that in living humans oral progesterone probably does NOT inhibit 5-AR and may even enhance it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Progesterone

The neurosteroid allopregnanolone is synthesized from progesterone by the enzyme 5-AR. If progesterone was inhibiting 5-AR then it would not convert much into allopregnanolone. However, in reality progesterone converts very easily to allopregnanolone, which suggests that in living humans oral progesterone probably does NOT inhibit 5-AR and may even enhance it.

Why would progesterone be good for hair then?

Progesterone

Not true.

Can you please elaborate on that?

And can you state why Progesterone would be good for hair? (if you believe it is).

I've been using it for months but I'm not 100% certain, especially if it increases 5-AR...

sele

Can you please elaborate on that?

And can you state why Progesterone would be good for hair? (if you believe it is).

I've been using it for months but I'm not 100% certain, especially if it increases 5-AR...
5AR is seen as a bad guy because of the myth that DHT causes hair loss.
Hair like a fox FAQ.
Yes I've seen progesterone stop hair loss.
You need to absorb enough calcium to see progesterone's magic :)

sele

Can you elaborate on that point about calcium please?
Sure.
2000 mg of calcium from dairy sources or eggshell will help keep PTH down. Which will keep prolactin (bad guy for hair loss) down.
Take 1000-2000 iu of vitamin D to absorb the calcium.

Progesterone

Sure.
2000 mg of calcium from dairy sources or eggshell will help keep PTH down. Which will keep prolactin (bad guy for hair loss) down.
Take 1000-2000 iu of vitamin D to absorb the calcium.

Thanks. I do take 5000iu of D3 daily.

What type of supplemental Calcium would be best to buy?

johnwester130

Okay, what is more helpful then?

anything that promotes metabolism generally stops shedding and helps

k2

niacinamide

magnesium

pregnenolone

coconut oil, gelatin

Specifically to grow lost hair, a topical pgd2 inhibitor may help. maybe topical cyproheptadine,
nobody has ever used it on a forum and reported the results

Progesterone

anything that promotes metabolism generally stops shedding and helps

k2

niacinamide

magnesium

pregnenolone

coconut oil, gelatin

Specifically to grow lost hair, a topical pgd2 inhibitor may help. maybe topical cyproheptadine,
nobody has ever used it on a forum and reported the results

Thanks.

You're saying pregnenolone is more effecting at halting hairloss than progesterone?

That's the first I've heard of that..

johnwester130

Thanks.

You're saying pregnenolone is more effecting at halting hairloss than progesterone?

That's the first I've heard of that..

no, just saying that they stop shedding, by reducing stress hormones and promoting metabolism

both are good

caffeine/aspirin also

Progesterone

no, just saying that they stop shedding, by reducing stress hormones and promoting metabolism

both are good

caffeine/aspirin also

Gotcha.

Thanks for your input sir.

Any idea on what kind of dosage of niacinamide is recommended for this? I'm currently doing 1g in the morning.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why would progesterone be good for hair then?

Possibly because it opposes cortisol, prolactin, growth hormone, adrenaline, inflammation, and various metabolic byproducts in the scalp that are toxic to hair follicles. Oh, and it stimulates thyroid function and thyroid hormone synthesis.

Progesterone

Possibly because it opposes cortisol, prolactin, growth hormone, adrenaline, inflammation, and various metabolic byproducts in the scalp that are toxic to hair follicles. Oh, and it stimulates thyroid function and thyroid hormone synthesis.

haidut, I love you, in a non-gay sexual way.