Progestene - Liquid Progesterone (bioidentical)

Rtm320

I used it continuously for several months, at doses of 200 - 400 mg. I gauged how much to take by my symptoms.

Adding: It was Progest E that I used.

Thanks Peata! Did it disrupt your cycle? Did you cease it because your symptoms were no longer?

Peata

Thanks Peata! Did it disrupt your cycle? Did you cease it because your symptoms were no longer?
No, it didn't effect my cycle. I stopped using it because it was taking so much to keep things under control, I wanted to try something else. It helped with symptoms like acne. But it didn't stop all the symptoms such as breast tenderness. For that, I use aspirin now.

tara

remember doing well on bcp-- I wondered if i was benefitting from the progesterone
You got BCP with actual progesterone in it?
I was prescribed a BCP many years ago that the dr said was progesterone-based, but it didn't have any progesterone in it - turned out to be a combination of an artificial progestogen (or progestin) and a little of something that I suspect was more directly estrogenic.

denise

I've tried about three other progesterone supplements over the last 5 years, and the only time I think it happened was once with a large amount of Progest-E. (I never tried very large amounts of the other two.)

I am done with Progestene for the month, but when I start up again in two weeks I will pay close attention to how my body responds. Hopefully this was just a fluke!

So I started up with the Progestene again last weekend, and wasn't noticing anything at all, so the throat thing must have been a fluke. I'm typically a nonresponder, so this is par for the course (although I did notice that my facial skin seemed somewhat softer--that was the only obvious effect though). I'd been using 5 drops AM and PM. So last night I thought, what the hell, let's do 10 drops. I did, and I thought maybe perhaps I felt a bit of sedative effect, but not so much I'd swear to it. When I woke up this morning I used another 6 drops, and also noticed that I was ravenous. I ate breakfast right away, and ate a 2nd breakfast 2 hours later. When it came time for my usual mid-morning Greek frappe, I was feeling rather strung out but drank it anyway (is there an emoji with a dunce cap?). Finally I realized that it must be my mega dose of Progestene. Since lunchtime my bowels have been going nuts, and this afternoon I developed IBS pain for the first time in months. I say all this not to blame Progestene but to emphasize the fact that this ***t is potent, and wise users will proceed with caution!

Editing to add: Now I've got insomnia, and my restless legs are acting up. I really stirred something up today! I just took some charcoal, so maybe that'll help.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So I started up with the Progestene again last weekend, and wasn't noticing anything at all, so the throat thing must have been a fluke. I'm typically a nonresponder, so this is par for the course (although I did notice that my facial skin seemed somewhat softer--that was the only obvious effect though). I'd been using 5 drops AM and PM. So last night I thought, what the hell, let's do 10 drops. I did, and I thought maybe perhaps I felt a bit of sedative effect, but not so much I'd swear to it. When I woke up this morning I used another 6 drops, and also noticed that I was ravenous. I ate breakfast right away, and ate a 2nd breakfast 2 hours later. When it came time for my usual mid-morning Greek frappe, I was feeling rather strung out but drank it anyway (is there an emoji with a dunce cap?). Finally I realized that it must be my mega dose of Progestene. Since lunchtime my bowels have been going nuts, and this afternoon I developed IBS pain for the first time in months. I say all this not to blame Progestene but to emphasize the fact that this ***t is potent, and wise users will proceed with caution!

Editing to add: Now I've got insomnia, and my restless legs are acting up. I really stirred something up today! I just took some charcoal, so maybe that'll help.

Thanks a lot, this was very insightful feedback! Definitely second the warning about potency. If I use progesterone at all, I do no more than 5 drops at a time.
I think progesterone can lower cortisol, which results in lower blood sugar and increased hunger. I get the same feeling from emodin (cascara) and also from cyproheptadine and even androsterone. If bowel movement was not frequent before, the progesterone may have re-stated it so to speak by lowering NO and serotonin. Progesterone is serotonin antagonist in the gut so I'd expect it to have beneficial effects in the long run in normalizing IBS issues. Peat wrote that IBS can be successfully cured with antiserotonin drugs.

denise

Thanks a lot, this was very insightful feedback! Definitely second the warning about potency. If I use progesterone at all, I do no more than 5 drops at a time.
I think progesterone can lower cortisol, which results in lower blood sugar and increased hunger. I get the same feeling from emodin (cascara) and also from cyproheptadine and even androsterone. If bowel movement was not frequent before, the progesterone may have re-started it so to speak by lowering NO and serotonin. Progesterone is serotonin antagonist in the gut so I'd expect it to have beneficial effects in the long run in normalizing IBS issues. Peat wrote that IBS can be successfully cured with antiserotonin drugs.
My bowels have already improved (not perfect, but improved) by taking TyroMix, so I was a bit surprised by my bowel response yesterday. It wasn't just a speed up of transit time but a feeling of sickness, like I'd eaten something bad. And the IBS-type pain surprised me. I'm okay with the possibility that progesterone will make things worse before they get better, but I don't understand how the megadose started up the pain again after a months-long hiatus. Also, I could swear that when I rubbed the 5 drops into my abdomen this morning, I instantly started to bloat even more (I'll have to test this again, because it's possible I'd been holding my belly in for a while or something without realizing it, although I don't think so). Bloating has been the bane of my digestive existence for months now (it was already bad with IBS, then when I quit smoking 6 months ago, I was permanently bloated for months). TyroMix has helped a lot with the bloating/transit, but this sudden reversion with the megadose of progesterone is really bizarre. Do you have any idea why/how it would seem to be making that feel worse?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My bowels have already improved (not perfect, but improved) by taking TyroMix, so I was a bit surprised by my bowel response yesterday. It wasn't just a speed up of transit time but a feeling of sickness, like I'd eaten something bad. And the IBS-type pain surprised me. I'm okay with the possibility that progesterone will make things worse before they get better, but I don't understand how the megadose started up the pain again after a months-long hiatus. Also, I could swear that when I rubbed the 5 drops into my abdomen this morning, I instantly started to bloat even more (I'll have to test this again, because it's possible I'd been holding my belly in for a while or something without realizing it, although I don't think so). Bloating has been the bane of my digestive existence for months now (it was already bad with IBS, then when I quit smoking 6 months ago, I was permanently bloated for months). TyroMix has helped a lot with the bloating/transit, but this sudden reversion with the megadose of progesterone is really bizarre. Do you have any idea why/how it would seem to be making that feel worse?

Don't know what to tell you on this one. Have you ever used vitamin E? Do you get similar response to it as progesterone? If you do, then it may indeed be the progesterone causing this, even though I doubt it.

denise

Don't know what to tell you on this one. Have you ever used vitamin E? Do you get similar response to it as progesterone? If you do, then it may indeed be the progesterone causing this, even though I doubt it.
No, I've never used used just straight vitamin E, so I don't know how I'd react. Oh, well. I'll stop taking this again on Sunday and see what happens during the two weeks off and then what happens when I start back up again.

InChristAlone

I get IBS like cramps 2nd half of my cycle, particularly when both estrogen and progesterone are high. They completely disappeared when I was off coffee, and now they are back again on coffee.

denise

I get IBS like cramps 2nd half of my cycle, particularly when both estrogen and progesterone are high. They completely disappeared when I was off coffee, and now they are back again on coffee.
Wow, interesting. It makes me wish I'd kept track back when this was an everyday occurrence, to see if it followed the same pattern as yours.

I just came across this study, in which they found that low doses of progesterone increased motility, while high doses inhibited it. Now I'm wondering whether even the 5 drops was too much, because I noticed (even before my megadose) that things seemed to have slowed down some, and I wondered why. I think I'll skip tonight's dose and then lower my dose to maybe 3 drops and see how that goes.

This study suspects a similar thing (high P = low motility). Curious.

BTW, @haidut , a bit ago I decided to rub a bit of Lapodin into my belly to see if it would help, and the same instant bloating thing happened. So I suspect it's just the action of rubbing my gut when it's already having fits.

denise

I skipped last night's dose and this morning's, and I seem to be back to normal, finally. Tonight I'll try 3 drops and see what happens.

DaveFoster

@haidut

Do you think Progestene can be used for sleep induction as an alternative to something like niacinamide or even melatonin?

I know Ray says T3 before bed helps him sleep; do you know of anything else that's helpful for going to bed on time?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Do you think Progestene can be used for sleep induction as an alternative to something like niacinamide or even melatonin?

I know Ray says T3 before bed helps him sleep; do you know of anything else that's helpful for going to bed on time?

I think progesterone is great as a sleep aid. Quite a few people reported on the forum using it for that purpose. Glycine is another great sleep aid tried in human studies.

DaveFoster

I think progesterone is great as a sleep aid. Quite a few people reported on the forum using it for that purpose. Glycine is another great sleep aid tried in human studies.
I forgot about glycine; I'll try both, thanks for the response.

Massive doses of progesterone (600 mg) almost knocked me out in class, but these would probably knock out everything male as well.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I forgot about glycine; I'll try both, thanks for the response.

Massive doses of progesterone (600 mg) almost knocked me out in class, but these would probably knock out everything male as well.

It would knock a female out as well. Progesterone is anesthetic...ironically mostly because of the conversion down the 5-AR pathway and giving rise to steroids which are used clinically in some countries as general anesthetics.

DaveFoster

It would knock a female out as well. Progesterone is anesthetic...ironically mostly because of the conversion down the 5-AR pathway and giving rise to steroids which are used clinically in some countries as general anesthetics.
Interesting; I found this.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453002000641

"Animal studies showed that progesterone is converted rapidly into GABAergic neuroactive steroids in vivo."

The use of pregabalin in the treatment of hot flashes

I also came across pregabalin for treatment of hot flashes.

The use of pregabalin in the treatment of hot flashes

Ray talks about the protective actions of GABA, probably against estrogen in this case.

Progesterone's ability to enhance GABA makes it useful for treatment in peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia, and I do believe Ray recommends it for this reason, along with supplements vitamin D, calcium, and thyroid, and drugs diphenhydramine, cyproheptadine, and aspirin.

@haidut

I forgot to ask, and I couldn't find it in the thread.

What do you think sustainable dosage of Progestene (progesterone) for men without having anti-androgenic effects? You said you take 5 drops topical, which is almost 3.5 mgs (35 mg oral equivalent). Would this be a limit?

This would be in addition to pregnenolone, of course.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have an old surgical scar from 2006 that had been numb for about 10 years until I used progestene. One day I rubbed about 5 drops near the scar and was doing some meditation when I noticed I had full feeling back. I wanted to wait a few months to make sure it was permanent and now 6 or 8 months later I still have full sensation. It happened from just the one application because normally I would use it orally. Before that day the scar would pain me periodically and now I have no pain whatsoever and it feels like every other area of my body.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have an old surgical scar from 2006 that had been numb for about 10 years until I used progestene. One day I rubbed about 5 drops near the scar and was doing some meditation when I noticed I had full feeling back. I wanted to wait a few months to make sure it was permanent and now 6 or 8 months later I still have full sensation. It happened from just the one application because normally I would use it orally. Before that day the scar would pain me periodically and now I have no pain whatsoever and it feels like every other area of my body.

Excellent feedback! Thanks so much Blossom!

DaveFoster

@haidut

I applied 1 drop of Progestene to my testicles, and my Frolov breathing time shot from 25 to an easy 60 seconds! Just 1 drop and I felt so relaxed, tension went away, CO2 went up, and focus increased. It was astonishingly potent.

Do you think there's a similar mechanism going on here as with Pansterone applied to the testicles, and do you think there are any possible negative effects to the testes?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

I applied 1 drop of Progestene to my testicles, and my Frolov breathing time shot from 25 to an easy 60 seconds! Just 1 drop and I felt so relaxed, tension went away, CO2 went up, and focus increased. It was astonishingly potent.

Do you think there's a similar mechanism going on here as with Pansterone applied to the testicles, and do you think there are any possible negative effects to the testes?

Nice, glad to hear it had this effect.
I think Pansterone applied in doses of just a few drops is OK, but in the long run it may make the scrotum skin drier, just as it does with other skin spots where it is applied topically for days at a time. So, switching between the scrotum and the pelvic area we discussed in the other thread may be a good way to avoid consistent dryness of any skin regions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals