Progestene - Liquid Progesterone (bioidentical)

denise

Has anyone experienced a feeling of tightness in the throat after using this? I just bought some. I used maybe 3 drops before bed last night and another 3 drops this morning. This morning I'm feeling rather strange--sort of floaty--but also my throat feels swollen. This symptom is confounded by the fact that yesterday was the 1-yr anniversary of my subtotal thyroidectomy, and in the afternoon, right about the time I went into surgery a year ago, I noticed that my throat felt swollen. I often have weird emotional/physiological things happen on traumatic anniversaries, so I didn't think much of it.

But then this morning I found this: "One relatively unknown property of progesterone is that it’s an upper airway muscle dilator. It literally tenses your tongue muscles." That's very much what it feels like. A year or two ago I used a heroic amount of Progest-E (I generally feel nothing from it) and I felt tightness in my throat. At the time I thought it was stimulating my thyroid or something (I had a huge goiter that already made my throat swollen), but now I wonder if it was just affecting my tongue muscle. ??

@haidut , have you had anyone else report anything like this? It's really rather bizarre. I think I'd better try only one drop at a time and see how it goes.

InChristAlone

When I'm dealing with acid reflux I get throat tightness, maybe it relaxed the valve enough to cause silent reflux.

denise

When I'm dealing with acid reflux I get throat tightness, maybe it relaxed the valve enough to cause silent reflux.
Except that according to that doctor progesterone makes that muscle tighten, not relax, and so should help prevent reflux, not cause it, right?

I found more mentions of this phenomenon by searching for tight throat rather than swollen throat. It's also a potential side effect of Prometrium, apparently.

InChristAlone

It might be necessary to use a higher dose for a while as it seems at first the progesterone sensitizes the estrogen receptors.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Has anyone experienced a feeling of tightness in the throat after using this? I just bought some. I used maybe 3 drops before bed last night and another 3 drops this morning. This morning I'm feeling rather strange--sort of floaty--but also my throat feels swollen. This symptom is confounded by the fact that yesterday was the 1-yr anniversary of my subtotal thyroidectomy, and in the afternoon, right about the time I went into surgery a year ago, I noticed that my throat felt swollen. I often have weird emotional/physiological things happen on traumatic anniversaries, so I didn't think much of it.

But then this morning I found this: "One relatively unknown property of progesterone is that it’s an upper airway muscle dilator. It literally tenses your tongue muscles." That's very much what it feels like. A year or two ago I used a heroic amount of Progest-E (I generally feel nothing from it) and I felt tightness in my throat. At the time I thought it was stimulating my thyroid or something (I had a huge goiter that already made my throat swollen), but now I wonder if it was just affecting my tongue muscle. ??

@haidut , have you had anyone else report anything like this? It's really rather bizarre. I think I'd better try only one drop at a time and see how it goes.

Have not had anybody else report this effect, but I am taking notes. Have you seen the same effects from other progesterone supplements on the market?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

denise

Have not had anybody else report this effect, but I am taking notes. Have you seen the same effects from other progesterone supplements on the market?
I've tried about three other progesterone supplements over the last 5 years, and the only time I think it happened was once with a large amount of Progest-E. (I never tried very large amounts of the other two.)

I am done with Progestene for the month, but when I start up again in two weeks I will pay close attention to how my body responds. Hopefully this was just a fluke!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've tried about three other progesterone supplements over the last 5 years, and the only time I think it happened was once with a large amount of Progest-E. (I never tried very large amounts of the other two.)

I am done with Progestene for the month, but when I start up again in two weeks I will pay close attention to how my body responds. Hopefully this was just a fluke!

OK, keep me posted please. I am very interested in rare but notable side effects of any supplement of ours and of the steroids in general. Hopefully it was a fluke like you said.

cardochav

Haidut, I discovered a very unusual side effect with this, I was hoping you could shed some light. My mom started taking progestene, after a couple days she says she got bad numbness in her hands and forearms. She told me she distinctly remembered the same thing happened to her during pregnancy. It was too unbearable she had to stop taking it. Have you ever heard of progesterone causing this? Could it be that she was taking too much (four drops at night)?

Pointless

Haidut, I discovered a very unusual side effect with this, I was hoping you could shed some light. My mom started taking progestene, after a couple days she says she got bad numbness in her hands and forearms. She told me she distinctly remembered the same thing happened to her during pregnancy. It was too unbearable she had to stop taking it. Have you ever heard of progesterone causing this? Could it be that she was taking too much (four drops at night)?

This is a well-known side effect. Ray Peat once mentioned accidentally taking an enormous dose of progesterone and his legs went numb.

Peaterpeater

My progesterone label says 1 drop = 1mg

So 1 drop of progestene = 3 drop of progest e , because the DMSO increases the potency by a large factor

If i recall correctly, I thought that 1 drop of Progest-E = 3mg of progesterone. Is this correct? If this is a mistake, I do apologize.

Rtm320

Hi all. I'd like to begin experimenting with this product. I am a 32 yo female and remember doing well on bcp-- I wondered if i was benefitting from the progesterone. I suspect low thyroid function as well with low AM body temps and low resting pulse. I've read that dosing should start after period has ended, would you continue up until you suspect your next menstruation? How long would you experiment with the supplement--until symptoms are relieved and consistently in check? Do you take breaks from it? Can this be taken along witb a thyroid supplement? Sorry for the barrage of questions! Any insight would be much appreciated, I have recently made the decision to start experimenting with hormones and am very nervous to not disrupt anything too much. I've been experiencing hair thinning for a few years now... :( Super thankful for this forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi all. I'd like to begin experimenting with this product. I am a 32 yo female and remember doing well on bcp-- I wondered if i was benefitting from the progesterone. I suspect low thyroid function as well with low AM body temps and low resting pulse. I've read that dosing should start after period has ended, would you continue up until you suspect your next menstruation? How long would you experiment with the supplement--until symptoms are relieved and consistently in check? Do you take breaks from it? Can this be taken along witb a thyroid supplement? Sorry for the barrage of questions! Any insight would be much appreciated, I have recently made the decision to start experimenting with hormones and am very nervous to not disrupt anything too much. I've been experiencing hair thinning for a few years now... :( Super thankful for this forum.

There are some summaries and recommendations online for dosing progesterone. See the links below. Also, if you search the forum or ask forum members @tara, @Blossom, @Peata, etc I think they can all provide some feedback of what progesterone doses worked for them.
Ray Peat, PhD on the Menstrual Cycle – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Progesterone

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Rtm320,
I've used it continuously most of the time and when I didn't I had to do a lot of guess work because I don't have a uterus. I think @Peata, @tara and numerous other women here who have periods can probably give you better advice for progesterone dosing. Maybe if you start a new thread you can get input from multiple women who might not otherwise see your question.

Peata

I used it continuously for several months, at doses of 200 - 400 mg. I gauged how much to take by my symptoms.

Adding: It was Progest E that I used.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals