Progest-e dosages for a girl w est/androgen dominance

H

heliocentrisms

Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl w crazy bad suspected estrogen dominance resulting in mood issues, crazy heavy painful periods, painful ovulation and acne. I also have hirsutism so I suspect that my androgen levels are super high (I know what Peat says about estrogen dominance eventually causing adrenal androgen release and I think that's what's happening here).

I recently purchased some progest-e and I'm experiencing some problems. Everytime I take a dose I get good symptoms like my vision clearing up and my field of vision widening but it also seems to give me anxiety attacks. I'm not sure if this is from the progest-e or not since whenever I take a dose I do get very nervous and tense up because I've never taken hormones before and I'm nervous about there being bad effects or me being allergic or it converting to estrogen or whatever. I'm also not sure if this is from the coffee that I drink in the morning since recently that's been making me super jittery and nervous for the whole day (before I started taking progest-e). I might try lower doses but then the panic attacks might be from it converting to estrogen and then it would be better to go higher? I don't know. Or maybe I'll just try using it topically for a bit (which seems to give me no problems no matter the dosage).

I've been sleeping better than usual so it doesn't seem to mess that up at all.

I'm not sure if its causing the panic attacks since I had an out of the blue crazy panic attack the day before I started taking it which was actually caused by there being tension in one of my back muscles and massaging the area was the ONLY thing that got rid of the panic (instantly).

So I think maybe I'm going to try taking a dose tomorrow and seeing if I panic and then checking myself for tension and releasing it w massage and stretches and if that gets rid of the panic then it's not the progest-e?

I'm sort of concerned but also the progesterone is sort of my last hope ... I went from glowing clear skin and being considered a pretty girl to acne and eventually facial hair ... along w all of the health problems that come along w these issues (a lot!). I'm also trying to overhaul my diet and lifestyle but I really really just wanted to get rid of the most glaring issues.

I also take magnesium glycinate and a high dose brain & pineal gland (like literally the brain & pineal gland of an animal) supplement for my insomnia (these things have never given me issues ever and work great) along w a few homeopathics for detox and insomnia (passionflower) that have worked great for me (despite me not believing in homeopathic medicine at all, lol). I use magnesium chloride spray for my skin which is the only thing that helps w the acne and muscle tension I get and its given me no problems before.

I've taken high dose vit e before in January (mitolife) where I was having six capsules a day (highest possible dose) and feeling great and losing fat like nothing else. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get another bottle and it did not get rid of my hirsutism which is the worst thing for me to deal with right now (I'm a very vain person, sorry). I had to ask family members for money just to get the progest-e.

I do have a massive long history of extreme health problems and crazy diets and all sorts of stuff so I'm not surprised that this is happening. And I know that this could be from a thyroid goiter unloading causing temporary hyperthyroid symptoms. So I think I'll have to wait and see.

Right now I do feel pretty panicked, jittery and on edge but it might be from the coffee, and my muscles are really tense (which has been enough to cause full on mental breakdowns and psychotic behaviour from me, for whatever reason muscular tension and trigger point tension just make my brain go absolutely crazy). And I know all about serotonin, I have a lot of experience with serotonin excess due to chronic adversity as well as adrenaline and cortisol excess and I can actually tell when there's excess serotonin rushing through my body vs adrenaline etc.

I'm thinking it might be the soy derived vit e? Maybe next time I should try Corti-Non?

Any feedback would be really welcome :).

Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl w crazy bad suspected estrogen dominance resulting in mood issues, crazy heavy painful periods, painful ovulation and acne. I also have hirsutism so I suspect that my androgen levels are super high (I know what Peat says about estrogen dominance eventually causing adrenal androgen release and I think that's what's happening here).

I recently purchased some progest-e and I'm experiencing some problems. Everytime I take a dose I get good symptoms like my vision clearing up and my field of vision widening but it also seems to give me anxiety attacks. I'm not sure if this is from the progest-e or not since whenever I take a dose I do get very nervous and tense up because I've never taken hormones before and I'm nervous about there being bad effects or me being allergic or it converting to estrogen or whatever. I'm also not sure if this is from the coffee that I drink in the morning since recently that's been making me super jittery and nervous for the whole day (before I started taking progest-e). I might try lower doses but then the panic attacks might be from it converting to estrogen and then it would be better to go higher? I don't know. Or maybe I'll just try using it topically for a bit (which seems to give me no problems no matter the dosage).

I'm not sure if its causing the panic attacks since I had an out of the blue crazy panic attack the day before I started taking it which was actually caused by there being tension in one of my back muscles and massaging the area was the ONLY thing that got rid of the panic (instantly).

So I think maybe I'm going to try taking a dose tomorrow and seeing if I panic and then checking myself for tension and releasing it w massage and stretches and if that gets rid of the panic then it's not the progest-e?

I'm sort of concerned but also the progesterone is sort of my last hope ... I went from glowing clear skin and being considered a pretty girl to acne and eventually facial hair ... along w all of the health problems that come along w these issues (a lot!). I'm also trying to overhaul my diet and lifestyle but I really really just wanted to get rid of the most glaring issues.

I also take magnesium glycinate and a high dose brain & pineal gland (like literally the brain & pineal gland of an animal) supplement for my insomnia (these things have never given me issues ever and work great) along w a few homeopathics for detox and insomnia (passionflower) that have worked great for me (despite me not believing in homeopathic medicine at all, lol). I use magnesium chloride spray for my skin which is the only thing that helps w the acne and muscle tension I get and its given me no problems before.

I've taken high dose vit e before in January (mitolife) where I was having six capsules a day (highest possible dose) and feeling great and losing fat like nothing else. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get another bottle and it did not get rid of my hirsutism which is the worst thing for me to deal with right now (I'm a very vain person, sorry). I had to ask family members for money just to get the progest-e.

I do have a massive long history of extreme health problems and crazy diets and all sorts of stuff so I'm not surprised that this is happening. And I know that this could be from a thyroid goiter unloading causing temporary hyperthyroid symptoms. So I think I'll have to wait and see.

Right now I do feel pretty panicked, jittery and on edge but it might be from the coffee, and my muscles are really tense (which has been enough to cause full on mental breakdowns and psychotic behaviour from me, for whatever reason muscular tension and trigger point tension just make my brain go absolutely crazy). And I know all about serotonin, I have a lot of experience with serotonin excess due to chronic adversity as well as adrenaline and cortisol excess and I can actually tell when there's excess serotonin rushing through my body vs adrenaline etc.

I'm thinking it might be the soy derived vit e? Maybe next time I should try Corti-Non?

Sorry you are having so much anxiety, but rest assured we have all had our fair share of stuff at your age. You can find Ray Peat's recommended dosage for Progest-E at the top of my post Progest-E & Raw Honey High post, as well as other peoples experiences with it. I think the "saying less is more" may apply to you heliocentrisms. Any suppliments can help or hinder and I think you should stop everything, as nd get back to ground zero, including the coffee. Give your body a rest, then maybe add in the Progest-E so you can tell how your body responds to it. Ray peat does NOT recommend coffee for young people, but with that being said he also says people that have issues drinking coffee are not supporting it by eating enough protein and sugar with it and NOT to drink it on an empty stomach. I hope our connecting calms your anxieties and please reach out to me anytime :)

Vinero

I'm a guy and I feel great on progesterone and used a lot of it over the years. I've used Progest-E, idealabs progestene, and health natura progesterone with very good results. However, the last 2 bottles of progest-E I've used had estrogenic effects on me. I developed a headache, spaciness and fatigue, and didn't get any of the good effects of progesterone that I normally get, like euphoria and improved facial features. If I take progesterone from another brand I do get the positive effects. A few other members have had similar bad experiences from Progest-E, They might have changed the ingredients or something. If progest-E doesn't make you feel good please try another brand. Even though Ray Peat says the progest-E is good my experience says otherwise. If you get a good progesterone product you will know it, nothing compares to it. Best supplement ever. If you feel bad or you don't feel anything the product is just low quality.
(3) Change In Progest-e? | Ray Peat Forum
(3) Progest-e Or Not Progest-e, That Is The Question | Ray Peat Forum
(3) Progest-E Bizarre First Experience | Ray Peat Forum

"I don't feel anything from this new progest-e either. I am so disappointed, I bought 3! I could tell the old one was working immediately, this new one, no effect whatsoever"

"This new progest-E with the orange label feels different. I don't feel that euphoric anti-shock effect that the older Progest-E used to give me. I seriously doubt it even contains progesterone at all, as I get no sensation from it after using almost half a bottle in 3 days."

I'm a guy and I feel great on progesterone and used a lot of it over the years. I've used Progest-E, idealabs progestene, and health natura progesterone with very good results. However, the last 2 bottles of progest-E I've used had estrogenic effects on me. I developed a headache, spaciness and fatigue, and didn't get any of the good effects of progesterone that I normally get, like euphoria and improved facial features. If I take progesterone from another brand I do get the positive effects. A few other members have had similar bad experiences from Progest-E, They might have changed the ingredients or something. If progest-E doesn't make you feel good please try another brand. Even though Ray Peat says the progest-E is good my experience says otherwise. If you get a good progesterone product you will know it, nothing compares to it. Best supplement ever. If you feel bad or you don't feel anything the product is just low quality.
(3) Change In Progest-e? | Ray Peat Forum
(3) Progest-e Or Not Progest-e, That Is The Question | Ray Peat Forum
(3) Progest-E Bizarre First Experience | Ray Peat Forum

"I don't feel anything from this new progest-e either. I am so disappointed, I bought 3! I could tell the old one was working immediately, this new one, no effect whatsoever"

"This new progest-E with the orange label feels different. I don't feel that euphoric anti-shock effect that the older Progest-E used to give me. I seriously doubt it even contains progesterone at all, as I get no sensation from it after using almost half a bottle in 3 days."
Check out my Progest-E & Raw Honey High post cause it is working alright. To your point I bought some 4 years ago, and though it brought me out menopause for a short time, I didn't "feel" anything further and threw it away. This time around it is some powerful stuff! Here is what i am using now. My husband is loving the good deep sleep he is getting from it too!

Attachments

• 20210515_125053.jpg
    20210515_125053.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 24

Rick K

Upon initial administration of progesterone anxiety is not uncommon. As estrogen is leached from tissue it will end up in circulation before being detoxified and expelled.
As far as Vit E' most folks buy tocopherol or mixed tocopherols but a far superior type is tocotrienol. Substantially more effective.
Amazon product ASIN B07PY8RF69View: https://www.amazon.com/Annatto-DeltaGold-Tocotrienols-Vitamin-TocopherolFree/dp/B07PY8RF69

mrchibbs

Hey @heliocentrisms !

Thanks for sharing, I just have a couple questions.

Have you experienced any particular stress in your life before the onset of these symptoms (acne, hirsutism etc.)?

Anything that's stressful may trigger PCOS, so maybe a move, or a change of diet, or not getting enough sunshine exposure, EMF exposure, emotional shock etc. ?

Based on what you're saying about your life, I'm guessing that's a yes.

All these things can trigger PCOS, just like it can kickstart MPB in men. (They're both the same endocrinological condition).

Relieving stress is important, so figuring it out things in your life can improve things a lot.

Do you drink your coffee with cream and sugar, and with a meal? Otherwise it can cause these jittery symptoms.

I would apply the progesterone on your body (especially where there's excess hair) after showers before bed in your case, in the 2 appropriate weeks of your menstrual cycles.

Vitamin D, Calcium are things to make sure are optimal for PCOS and treating hirsutism.

There are some studies mentioning cyproheptadine to treat hirsutism, likely because it's so anti-stress. It takes several months to see the effect because of the hair cycles. It doesn't fix the root problems thouhg.

Vinero

Check out my Progest-E & Raw Honey High post cause it is working alright. To your point I bought some 4 years ago, and though it brought me out menopause for a short time, I didn't "feel" anything further and threw it away. This time around it is some powerful stuff! Here is what i am using now. My husband is loving the good deep sleep he is getting from it too!
All I know is that since Progest-E has that orange label, it feels totally different. Not like progesterone at all, more like estrogen. I believe you if you say you feel good. But I would try out different brands, just to compare the effects. Real progesterone is the best thing on earth, and this orange label Progest-E doesn't give me the old progest-E feeling back when they had a white label.

Thank you for posting that! One really shouldn't be taking it if it isn't feeling right. No denying that.

Thank you for posting that! One really shouldn't be taking it if it isn't feeling right. No denying that.
I had to edit my first post cause I thought I was responding to another thread. There is a great debate on another thread as to if the parent should give it to their 4 year old!

I had to edit my first post cause I thought I was responding to another thread. There is a great debate on another thread as to if the parent should give it to their 4 year old!

OP
H

heliocentrisms

Hey @heliocentrisms !

Thanks for sharing, I just have a couple questions.

Have you experienced any particular stress in your life before the onset of these symptoms (acne, hirsutism etc.)?

Anything that's stressful may trigger PCOS, so maybe a move, or a change of diet, or not getting enough sunshine exposure, EMF exposure, emotional shock etc. ?

Based on what you're saying about your life, I'm guessing that's a yes.

All these things can trigger PCOS, just like it can kickstart MPB in men. (They're both the same endocrinological condition).

Relieving stress is important, so figuring it out things in your life can improve things a lot.

Do you drink your coffee with cream and sugar, and with a meal? Otherwise it can cause these jittery symptoms.

I would apply the progesterone on your body (especially where there's excess hair) after showers before bed in your case, in the 2 appropriate weeks of your menstrual cycles.

Vitamin D, Calcium are things to make sure are optimal for PCOS and treating hirsutism.

There are some studies mentioning cyproheptadine to treat hirsutism, likely because it's so anti-stress. It takes several months to see the effect because of the hair cycles. It doesn't fix the root problems thouhg.
Yes, I had a stressful childhood bc of my parent's divorce which lead to what I suspect was early puberty & hypothyroidism and I had immune issues since I was a baby after getting the MMR vaccine. I went on a lot of diets when I was 11-14 like vegan, HCLF, LCHF, paleo, and the worst of all the GAPS diet which completely messed me up. I had agoraphobia since late 2018 where I never left the house if I could help it, and I already didn't get much sun to begin with living in the PNW. (Also, I spent a lot of my life in Australia, where I was born, so my body is probably accustomed to high amounts of sunshine)I've also had recent heavy stress for the last few years being in a turbulent household situation and extreme stress in late 2020 when I tried to force myself to go back to school while I still had crazy anxiety. That was a scary time, my stress levels were so high that I was losing my longterm memory. Also I've been drinking large amounts of (mostly black) coffee since 2017, which did seem to make my skin worse and may have caused my acne, although quitting it did nothing for me (though I've never successfully quit longterm). I also had a really stressful job working at a cafe in 2017-18 where I would work til 11 at night after school days for less than minimum wage, I did a lot of dishwashing that involved bleach and who knows what else without gloves. It was an under the table job which my boss held over my head and she wouldn't pay me for months and months. I wouldn't really eat when I was working, I'd just run on coffee.

The acne however started weirdly enough after I became 'conscious' of acne and worried about it. It's gotten both progressively worse and better over the years. Overall my skin appearance is way better and clearer than it used to be but now all of the acne is cystic instead of being just little bumps and pimples all over my face.

I drink my coffee with cream and I try to have a source of sugar with it like a dried fig or date but I do have it first thing in the morning because I'm never hungry until I've had it. I normally have the meal after the coffee. This is a bad habit which I'm trying to work on, however in the mornings often I'm too tired to make myself anything until I've had my coffee.

It is almost summer where I live so I'm trying to get high sun exposure for vitamin D since the d3 supplement I used to take gave me heart palpitations. I eat a lot of dairy for calcium & I can notice how much better I feel having dairy.

Also I do realize that I started progest-e at the wrong time of my (pretty irregular) cycle, which was stupid of me. I thought that my symptoms were bad enough to justify it but I think that's also why it didn't feel great since the first time I took it internally was the last day of my period.

Cyproheptadine is something that I'm interested in, I'll definitely look for those studies!

Thanks for the reply :)

Rick K

Beyond that, many studies have found that the use of natural progesterone increases the child's IQ, typically by around 35 points (though there are claims of consistent 200 IQs), and produces personalities that are more "independent, individualistic, self-assured, self-sufficient. and sensitive" - Dr. Ray Peat

OP
H

heliocentrisms

Upon initial administration of progesterone anxiety is not uncommon. As estrogen is leached from tissue it will end up in circulation before being detoxified and expelled.
As far as Vit E' most folks buy tocopherol or mixed tocopherols but a far superior type is tocotrienol. Substantially more effective.
Amazon product ASIN B07PY8RF69View: https://www.amazon.com/Annatto-DeltaGold-Tocotrienols-Vitamin-TocopherolFree/dp/B07PY8RF69
Yes, that's what I figure might be happening. And I do think it's working a bit because the veins on the back of my hands are way way less pronounced. I think maybe I'll try carrot salads everyday to increase the expulsion of estrogen. I haven't really developed any new acne since I started using it and I didn't get the intense symptoms like spotting that some can get when starting progest-e if they're estrogen dominant. Still think the soy derived vit e might be the problem, maybe. I'm interested in tocotrienol vit e although the mitolife vit E really worked excellently for me. Thanks for the reply :)

Rick K

When using progesterone therapy it is essential to start on a high dose. Some practitioners give 2500mg/day for very severe cases of post natal and manic depression, PMS, panic attacks, temporary psychosis etc.

After the initial high dose, which should bring relief in anywhere from three days to three months, it may gradually be reduced until the reappearance of symptoms.

This indicates the level of progesterone needed. As it is the precursor to the stress hormones any extra stress will require increased levels of progesterone therapy.

Once started on progesterone therapy you will become sensitive to the level needed on a daily basis.

Rick K

• Above all have a vitamin D test done, and take a minimum of 5000 IU's per day, bringing the level in the blood to 50ng/ml (125nmol/L) or above. A lack of vitamin D is found in PCO, with many authorities believing it could be the main contributing factor. A lack also leads to hyperparathyroidism which is often present in PCO. High levels of parathyroid hormone suppresses thyroid activity, leading to a higher than normal TSH level. The year round level of vitamin D should be 50ng/ml (125nmol/L) or higher.
  • A lack of vitamin D reduces the benefits of progesterone.
  • Use between 150-250mg/day progesterone, this helps stabilise blood sugar and suppresses androgen production. It also helps to correct ovarian malfunction.
  • Take the B vitamin inositol, this aids in reversing insulin resistance and stabilizing glucose levels. Studies have shown this restores gonadal function.
  • Take the antioxidant amino acids L-arginine and N-acetyl cysteine, studies have shown these restore gonadal function.
  • The amino acids L-glutamine and L-glycine are very helpful. The brain can use them in place of glucose for energy, so they stop all binging, tiredness, cravings for sugary foods and alcohol. Glutamine also heals the lining of the gut, it boosts the immune system and is the most abundant amino acid in the muscles, so helping with muscle weakness. These two amino acids are also two of the three precursors to glutathione, which apart from vitamin D, is the most important antioxidant the body makes. The third amino precursor is cysteine, which is essential to take.
  • MCT oil (medium chain triglyceride) is another excellent source of energy which is not converted to fat, but can be used directly by the cells for energy, take 5-60ml/day. It's extracted from coconut oil and comprises 60% caprylic acid, which kills candida, and 40% capric acid.

There is actually no debate. Read the thread. She even apologizes. Ray explicitly says that nothing has changed. I have been using since 2015 and NOTHING changed. It still works wonders. @Rinse & rePeat do not get hooked in to that conversation.
I think it is great too Lollipop2! Thanks for the good advice :)

OP
H

heliocentrisms

Sorry you are having so much anxiety, but rest assured we have all had our fair share of stuff at your age. You can find Ray Peat's recommended dosage for Progest-E at the top of my post Progest-E & Raw Honey High post, as well as other peoples experiences with it. I think the "saying less is more" may apply to you heliocentrisms. Any suppliments can help or hinder and I think you should stop everything, as nd get back to ground zero, including the coffee. Give your body a rest, then maybe add in the Progest-E so you can tell how your body responds to it. Ray peat does NOT recommend coffee for young people, but with that being said he also says people that have issues drinking coffee are not supporting it by eating enough protein and sugar with it and NOT to drink it on an empty stomach. I hope our connecting calms your anxieties and please reach out to me anytime :)
Thank you for this reply! Wow, I didn't know that Ray Peat doesn't recommend coffee for young people. I've been drinking it consistently since I was 13. I have been wanting to go off the coffee for a long time but didn't because I thought that Ray Peat was so in favour of it and it would be bad to not. I understand why you'd advise to stop all of the supplements but they have all been working really well and they were all introduced in stages too, the magnesium glycinate has been a life saver in so many ways. The supplements have mostly resolved my health issues apart from my hormonal symptoms. I definitely think that I'll lay off the coffee, drinking it with sugar often makes me feel worse. Again, thanks for replying :) and for the advice.

Beyond that, many studies have found that the use of natural progesterone increases the child's IQ, typically by around 35 points (though there are claims of consistent 200 IQs), and produces personalities that are more "independent, individualistic, self-assured, self-sufficient. and sensitive" - Dr. Ray Peat
Thank you for that little jewel Rick K! Let's define natural :)

Attachments

• 20210515_153129.jpg
    20210515_153129.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210515_153045.jpg
    20210515_153045.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: