Progest-E Causing Headaches

burtlancast

Both me and another member of my family have taken progest-E topically for cartilage problems in the knee.
Altough we both felt joint relief, we both developed a headache the following day. And i personally got the same effect each time I've used it.
Has Ray explained this side-effect ?
Is there a solution to avoid those ?

HDD

I got a headache when I first began supplementing and posted to the forum. I supplemented 4 drops orally and developed a headache several hours later. Here is the reply to my post.

kettlebell said:
Progesterone can quickly "Reset" hormones and ramp up your metabolism. It shuts down estrogen receptors permanently in your body and potentially can rapidly normalise your hormones encouraging a faster metabolism which requires fuel and nutrients to be sustained. Ensuring you are getting enough calories from fruit (sugar) and the required nutrients becomes very important.

When I first took pregnenolone I had the same thing - A big dose of sugar and I was right as reign in an hour. My nutrient requirements are still rising rapidly.

Of course I am speculating with the above potential issue but its worth keeping in mind

moss

Agree with kettlebell,
Increasing your nutrient load as needed is always the best option of course. Headaches can very quickly be mitigated not only with increased fuel, however, one does not always want to eat with a headache. Just plain old 6 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in warm water and sip does the trick (a good friend put me onto to this) also useful if someone is hyperventilating, dizziness..... as a quick fix, then explore further. I have put many others onto this - so simple yet, effective and cheap!

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Ramping up the metabolism is a possibility, i agree.

Another explanation could be a direct estrogenic effect, either by conversion to estrogen of part of the ingested progesterone, or by individual cells dumping into the blood their intracellular estrogen content, and the liver struggling to detox it.

It would be nice to have Ray's opinion on that.

moss

From R Peat's book - Progesterone in Orthomolecular Medicine

Know this first bit doesn't fully relate to you, blc but...
"Since progesterone is not kown to have any harmful side effects (except for alteration of the menstrual cycle if it is taken at the wrong time of month)the basic procedure should be to use it in sufficient quantity to make the symptoms disappear."
and
An excessive estrogen/progesterone ratio is more generally involved in producing or aggravating symptoms than either a simple excess of estrogen or a deficiency of progesterone, but even this ratio is conditioned by other factors, including age, diet, other steroids, thyroids, and other hormones."

It appears liver function is a 'front runner' on the forum at present....and does this happen if you take progest-e sublinqually and/or reduce dose?
Thanks for the heads up about progest-e alleviating joint/knee cartilage problems despite the headaches!

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

moss said:
..and does this happen if you take progest-e sublinqually and/or reduce dose?

Yes. It does either way.

moss said:
Thanks for the heads up about progest-e alleviating joint/knee cartilage problems despite the headaches!

You're welcome.
Ray likes to bury some magical progesterone effects with a a small sentence inside a paragraph. Read casually, and you miss it.

johns74

It could be the vitamin E. Have you tried it topically, such as rubbing it on the wrist?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

johns74 said:
It could be the vitamin E. Have you tried it topically, such as rubbing it on the wrist?

Well, since progesterone is dissolved into the Vit E, i can't obviously separate the 2, will it be orally or topically.
:?: