Problems With Sulphur

Amazoniac

- Problems With Sulphur

- Iodine clock reaction - Wikipedia (videos)

"Aside from using sodium thiosulfate as a substrate, cysteine can also be used.

Iodide from potassium iodide is converted to iodine in the first reaction:

2 I− + 2 H+ + H2O2 → I2 + 2 H2O

The iodine produced in the first reaction is reduced back to iodide by the reducing agent, cysteine. At the same time, cysteine is oxidized into cystine.

2 C3H7NO2S + I2 → C6H12N2O4S2 + 2 I− + 2 H+​

Similar to thiosulfate case, when cysteine is exhausted, the blue color appears."​

Avoid high sulfur foods for a while, primarily: Brassica, Eggs, Beans, Alliums, Dairy. Easy way to remember is B.E. B.A.D., as in 'them sulfur containing foods be bad for my gas'. Take plenty of supplemental molybdenum (key to optimal sulfuration pathways), and also get lots of pepto-bismul (this will help to eliminate excess sulfur from the gut) and also make iron less available to gut bacteria. I have been reading about this lately, I think it explains why I always feel bloated after eating, and burp excessively - even after having done all I can otherwise to keep from having any SIBO symptoms, (enzymes, acv, hcl, etc etc). I think this also explains why I respond so well to DMSO - I think it gives me relief as it is getting sulfur to places that are sulfur deficient (this supports the idea that I have some poor handling of sulfur). What I have gathered is, if the sulfur pathways are not running well, then to compensate, the gut will support more hydrogen sulfide producing bacteria - which over time creates poor health effects and is agitated by taking in more sulfur. Apparently people have a good success rate of correcting this problem simply by taking a break from high sulfur foods for several weeks, and increasing molydenum etc. I am trying this out as of just a few days ago. I realized I have been eating a lot of high sulfur foods for most of my life, and generally have always felt bloated, so I am interested to see if this fixes my bloat. I have always been bloated to the extent that if I lose weight it is hardly noticeable as my gut will just take up the extra slack through bloat.
I have CBS mutation and MTHFR and a few other hard to deal with variants. I very much believe in the effect of these based on my health etc. I am highly allergic to all things sulphur. I would not touch pepto bismol because of metals. I do coffee enemas for glutathione, eat turkey and tuna for selenium, eat milk chocolate for copper , and really try to stay away from high sulphur foods unless I am using them to kill something, like say garlic for parasites, candida etc. also I stay away from dreaded sulphites as presevatives. you might have a candida thing going on. ( ?? ) you also might be really sensitive to yeast as is it seems to be a thing with CBS and MTHFR etc

Dr. B

I have CBS mutation and MTHFR and a few other hard to deal with variants. I very much believe in the effect of these based on my health etc. I am highly allergic to all things sulphur. I would not touch pepto bismol because of metals. I do coffee enemas for glutathione, eat turkey and tuna for selenium, eat milk chocolate for copper , and really try to stay away from high sulphur foods unless I am using them to kill something, like say garlic for parasites, candida etc. also I stay away from dreaded sulphites as presevatives. you might have a candida thing going on. ( ?? ) you also might be really sensitive to yeast as is it seems to be a thing with CBS and MTHFR etc
whats CBS
molybdenum helps to process sulfur
taurine supplements etc can worsen it
what else can be done to boost glutathione, inhibit angiotensin, inhibit carbonic anhydrase, boost glutathione peroxidase, boost catalase?
isnt dark chocolate high in copper while milk chocolate is much lower?

Amazoniac

methylglyoxal from manuka honey is it good?
It's an environmental toxin that uses up antioxidants, in our case, hydrogen sulfide.

- Methylglyoxal—A Potential Risk Factor of Manuka Honey in Healing of Diabetic Ulcers
- ReactELISA method for quantifying methylglyoxal levels in plasma and cell cultures

A serving of such honey may contain more than 0.15 mg/g, 3 mg/tbsp (20 g).
Normal (and reacted) intracellular value according to the publication above is about 0.1 mg/L, or 2.5 mg/25 L (total intracellular).

Occasional bouts of exposure should be alright. The authors have discussed ratios for scavenging, although not in the body.

Dr. B

It's an environmental toxin that uses up antioxidants, in our case, hydrogen sulfide.

- Methylglyoxal—A Potential Risk Factor of Manuka Honey in Healing of Diabetic Ulcers
- ReactELISA method for quantifying methylglyoxal levels in plasma and cell cultures

A serving of such honey may contain more than 0.15 mg/g, 3 mg/tbsp (20 g).
Normal (and reacted) intracellular value according to the publication above is about 0.1 mg/L, or 2.5 mg/25 L (total intracellular).

Occasional bouts of exposure should be alright. The authors have discussed ratios for scavenging.
manuka honey no good then! wow. they use methylglyoxal content to advertise it, like its a good nutrient

Amazoniac

- Isolated Sulfite Oxidase Deficiency

1637316296570.png

- Molybdenum Cofactor Deficiency: Metabolic Link Between Taurine and S-Sulfocysteine

1637316317563.png

- Molybdenum, Hard To Pronounce, Harder Still To Obtain (Table 2)

Amazoniac

- Nutrient Metabolism: Structures, Functions, and Genes (978-0-12-387784-0)

"Taurine is produced endogenously, mainly in liver cytosol; its synthesis requires cysteine, niacin, iron, pyridoxine, and molybdenum (Figure 8.93). In the main metabolic pathway, cysteine is oxidized to 3-sulfinoalanine. The cysteine dioxygenase (EC1.13.11.20) responsible for this reaction uses iron and NAD or NADP as prosthetic groups. Sulfinoalanine decarboxylase (EC4.1.1.29) with pyridoxal phosphate as a prosthetic group generates hypotaurine, which is finally converted into taurine by hypotaurine dehydrogenase (EC1.8.1.3) in an NAD-dependent reaction. Hypotaurine dehydrogenase contains both heme and molybdenum cofactor (molybdopterin, a pterine with molybdenum coordinated to it)."

"Another pathway in the cytosol of most tissues uses cysteamine for hypotaurine and taurine synthesis; this reaction is catalyzed by cysteamine dioxygenase (EC1.13.11.19), a metalloprotein that contains one atom each of copper, zinc, and ferric iron."

1637878619099.png

- Taurine: The comeback of a neutraceutical in the prevention of retinal degenerations

- Biosynthesis, Quantification and Genetic Diseases of the Smallest Signaling Thiol Metabolite: Hydrogen Sulfide

"Evidence exists that H2S could be stored and released as a response to a physiologic signal [38,139]. Two forms of sulfur stores in cells have been identified [140], namely, acid-labile sulfur, which releases H2S under acidic conditions, and bound sulfane sulfur, which releases H2S under reducing conditions [139]. Acid-labile sulfur consists of sulfur atoms in the iron–sulfur complexes, which play an important role in a wide range of redox reactions in enzymes of the respiratory chain in the mitochondria [139]. The critical pH below which H2S is released from acid-labile sulfur is 5.4 [38]. Thus, this reaction is unavailable as a source of H2S inside the mitochondrion, where pH > 7.8. Exogenously applied free H2S is immediately absorbed and saved as bound sulfane sulfur, suggesting that probably enzymatically produced H2S as described above may also be stored as bound sulfane sulfur [38]. In particular, H2S produced by 3MST was reported to be stored as bound sulfane sulfur, which influences the intracellular bound sulfane sulfur concentration [105]. In turn, cells may release the stored H2S after receiving a certain physiological signal, such as elevated pH [105]. Experimentally, the reducing activity of thiols such as GSH and cysteine is greater in alkaline conditions than at a neutral pH. Therefore, most H2S release from lysates of cultured neurons and astrocytes occurs at a pH higher than 8.4 [38]."​

Amazoniac

- Osteoporosis and the effect of dysregulation of the transsulfuration pathway via taurine on intracellular calcium homeostasis, vitamin D absorption and vitamin K absorption

Abstract said:
Background & aims
In this article we connect the dysregulation of the transsulfuration pathway to bone dysregulations and propose a novel treatment for osteoporosis. Current treatments for osteoporosis are very frequently inadequate. In osteoporosis, the risk of fractures increases with increased homocysteine (Hcy).

Methods
Here, we conduct a review on the relationship between osteoporosis and the dysregulation of the transsulfuration pathway.

Results
We show that the transsulfuration pathway metabolizes Hcy to L-cysteine. Increased Hcy levels point to the transsulfuration pathway being dysregulated. With the transsulfuration pathway dysregulated, there will be decreased levels of L-cysteine and decreased levels of taurine, which is synthesized from L-cysteine. Taurine levels are decreased in patients with osteoporosis. Taurine regulates intracellular calcium homeostasis. Taurine, also, when conjugated with bile acids assists with absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D and vitamin K. Dysregulated calcium homeostasis, decreased calcium absorption and decreased absorption of vitamin D and vitamin K due to low levels of taurine negatively affect bone mineral density (BMD) leading to osteoporosis and fractures.

Conclusions
In this article, we propose that a combination of taurine, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K, could increase BMD reducing number of years spent in disability and reducing deaths due to fractures in patients with osteoporosis.

Amazoniac

- Failure of activated charcoal to reduce the release of gases produced by the colonic flora

Abstract said:
Objective: Activated charcoal is used to treat excessive volume or malodor of intestinal gas. Our previous studies demonstrated that activated charcoal failed to bind appreciable quantities of the volumetrically important gut gases. However, the odor of feces and flatus derives primarily from trace quantities of sulfur-containing gases, primarily H2S and methanethiol, which should avidly bind to activated charcoal. The goal of this study was to determine if ingestion of activated charcoal reduces the fecal release of sulfur gases.

Methods: Five healthy human volunteers ingested 0.52 g of activated charcoal [about 10 g per tbsp] four times daily for 1 wk and the fecal liberation of intestinal gases was measured before and after the activated charcoal treatment. In an effort to explain the in vivo results, additional in vitro studies were performed to compare the binding capacity of charcoal to the sulfur gas released by feces.

Results: Ingestion of activated charcoal produced no significant reduction in the fecal release of any of the sulfur-containing gases, nor was total fecal gas release or abdominal symptoms significantly influenced. In vitro studies suggested that the failure of ingested charcoal to reduce liberation of sulfur gases probably is explained by the saturation of charcoal binding sites during passage through the gut.

Conclusion: Commonly employed doses of activated charcoal do not appreciably influence the liberation of fecal gases.

Amazoniac

Elite, the content of cysteine per protein of egg white and lean beef is about 2.5% and 1%, and we know that hydrogen sulfide formation in the gut tends to increase along with protein intake. However, I have the impression that for a fixed amount of cysteine in a meal, foods that are unusually rich in cysteine are more problematic, complaints with them are common. To make it evident, consider someone that eats 150 g of protein in a day, mostly from meats; replacing it all with egg whites or whey would be a mess. So, what increases tolerance? The ratio of amino acids? Rate of digestion?

Given that problems with sulfur can affect selenium, the following concern is relevant: an impaired methionine metabolism might extend to selenomethionine. Not being able to derive sufficient amounts of selenocysteine from it could compromise antioxidation. If this is the case, it's worth paying attention to the response to alternative forms in the diet.

- Selenium deficiency occurs in some patients with moderate-to-severe cirrhosis and can be corrected by administration of selenate but not selenomethionine: A randomized controlled trial

Amazoniac

- Sulfur Amino Acids in Diet-induced Fatty Liver: A New Perspective Based on Recent Findings (!)

"The study of diet-induced fatty liver has revealed a complex relationship of the sulfur amino acids and choline to fat metabolism in the liver. Many aspects of this relationship have been difficult or impossible to explain in the past. Recent findings implicating S0 provide a new interpretation of these relationships as summarized in Scheme 2. This interpretation proposes that there are three reactions by which sulfur amino acids and choline influence the fat content of the liver:
- methionine gives rise to S0 which is the ultimate lipotropic agent;
- excess cystine gives rise to excess sulfite which depletes S0 to suboptimal levels causing fatty liver;
- and choline gives rise to betaine aldehyde which removes the sulfite and blocks the depletion of S0."​

- Dietary cystine level affects metabolic rate and glycaemic control in adult mice

- Transdermal patches loaded with L-cysteine HCL as a strategy for protection from mobile phone emitting electromagnetic radiation hazards
- Transdermal Absorption of Radioprotectors in the Rat Using Permeation-Enhancing Vehicles

Amazoniac

- Infection trains the host for microbiota-enhanced resistance to pathogens (!)

Bizarre:
An exaggerated immune response can be exploited by pathogens that happen to thrive on the increased availability of oxygen. However, one counteracting strategy is to encourage the growth of sulfidogenic microbes to produce asphyxiating amounts of sulfide, because of this they refer to it as 'antimicrobial'. Bile is affected, there are changes in liver and enlargement of the gallbladder to discharge more taurine in the gut. They were able to detect expansion of (delta)proteobacteria, which confered resistance. It's what desperate people try to replicate by taking irresponsible doses of sulfur. Despite the broader actions of bismuth subsalicylate, they managed to susceptibilize animals by binding sulfide with it, reversing the protective effect. Perhaps it's possible for someone to stay stuck in a harmful cycle sustained by inflammation after there's no more threat.​

- Caffeine Induction of Sulfotransferases in Rat Liver and Intestine
- Immune system stimulation increases the irreversible loss of cysteine to taurine, but not sulfate, in starter pigs
- Cystathionine β-synthase is required for body iron homeostasis
- Redox Regulation of Human Estrogen Sulfotransferase (hSULT1E1)
- How Does the Exchange of One Oxygen Atom with Sulfur Affect the Catalytic Cycle of Carbonic Anhydrase?

Amazoniac

Authors of publication from post #108 mentioned positive changes after inulin supplementation, here's more on it:

- Efficacy and role of inulin in mitigation of enteric sulfur-containing odor in pigs

- Prebiotic inulin-type fructans induce specific changes in the human gut microbiota

"Briefly, this study was set up as a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial (Clinical Trials.gov ID: NCT02548247) targeted to investigate the effect of chicory-derived inulin (Orafti inulin) on bowel function in healthy individuals with constipation (see online supplementary table S12)." "Study design consisted of two 4-week intervention periods during which either 12 g of inulin (treatment) or maltodextrin (placebo control) were consumed on a daily basis (figure 1). Each intervention period was preceded by a 2-week run-in phase during which the subjects were administered the placebo control. A washout phase was incorporated after the first intervention period."

1647086396265.png

1647086403827.png

Has anyone tried (liquid) chlorophyll for this issue? I've wondered if it has a relieving effect.

Amazoniac

- Administration of charcoal, Yucca schidigera, and zinc acetate to reduce malodorous flatulence in dogs

Abstract said:
Objective: To determine whether feeding activated charcoal, Yucca schidigera, and zinc acetate would ameliorate the frequency and odor characteristics of flatulence in dogs.

Design: In vitro screening of active agents followed by a randomized controlled trial.

Animals: 8 adult dogs.

Procedure: A fecal fermentation system was used to assess the effects of activated charcoal, Yucca schidigera, and zinc acetate alone and in combination on total gas production and production of hydrogen sulfide, the primary determinant of flatus malodor in dogs. All 3 agents were subsequently incorporated into edible treats that were fed 30 minutes after the dogs ate their daily rations, and the number, frequency, and odor characteristics of flatulence were measured for 5 hours, using a device that sampled rectal gases and monitored hydrogen sulfide concentrations.

Result: Total gas production and number and frequency of flatulence episodes were unaffected by any of the agents. Production of hydrogen sulfide in vitro was significantly reduced by charcoal, Yucca schidigera, and zinc acetate by 71, 38, and 58%, respectively, and was reduced by 86% by the combination of the 3 agents. Consumption of the 3 agents was associated with a significant decrease (86%) in the percentage of flatulence episodes with bad or unbearable odor and a proportional increase in the percentage of episodes of no or only slightly noticeable odor.

Conclusions and clinical relevance: Results suggest that activated charcoal, Yucca schidigera, and zinc acetate reduce malodor of flatus in dogs by altering the production or availability of hydrogen sulfide in the large intestine.

- Importance of antiviral H₂S in treatment protocols for COVID-19

Abstract said:
Aim. To propose a new type of antiviral treatment for COVID-19, pending the rollout of the developed vaccines and bypassing vaccine resistance of the new upcoming mutated virus variants. Aiming for prophylaxis and early therapy, the search focused on small molecules or repurposed, safe, oral and inexpensive drugs, also suitable for low-income countries.

Methods. A search in peer-reviewed literature for preclinical antiviral mechanisms highlighted at last two clinical studies for further detailed clinical analysis: 1) High dose N-acetylcysteine (NAC) was successfully applied in very severe COVID-19-pneumonia; 2) The discovery of serum level H2S (hydrogen sulfide) as a prognostic host factor.

Results. Combining of these two findings resulted in a step-by-step approach with 3 perspectives that describes how H2S works in viral respiratory diseases, how H2S targets at least three vulnerabilities in the SARS-CoV-2 virus; finally, how H2S can be generated and with which drugs. More than 3 dozen successful, clinically well-documented applications have already been found.

Conclusion. By using NAC as the H2S donor, the generated endogenous antiviral H2S reactivates the collapsed innate immunity, providing a therapy regimen for COVID-19. Further randomized controlled trials are warranted, considering antiviral H2S for inclusion in some master trial protocols.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals