Problems With Sulphur

I seem to have problems with sulphur--both in terms of food and supplements.

I am continual problems with low copper and low selenium, to the point that my thyroid swells if I do not consume enough and I get very strong low copper symptoms. If I eat high sulphur foods, it is a constant struggle to get enough selenium and copper. My experiments with whey protein have had me feeling like my memory is completely going. I am only 28.

I am a rock climber and train 4-5 times a week. Whenever I have consumed taurine I end up with quire severe finger tendon injuries. I react poorly to garlic, b1, cruciferous veg, egg (very bad). I often can have gas that is very smells strongly of sulphur.

Any ideas, solutions, recommendations? I am vaguely familiar with concepts such as CBS mutation, methylation but there are many schools of thought that dismiss CBS mutations as false.

I really need to keep my selenium and copper high. My thyroid really suffers otherwise.

I seem to have problems with sulphur--both in terms of food and supplements.

I am continual problems with low copper and low selenium, to the point that my thyroid swells if I do not consume enough and I get very strong low copper symptoms. If I eat high sulphur foods, it is a constant struggle to get enough selenium and copper. My experiments with whey protein have had me feeling like my memory is completely going. I am only 28.

I am a rock climber and train 4-5 times a week. Whenever I have consumed taurine I end up with quire severe finger tendon injuries. I react poorly to garlic, b1, cruciferous veg, egg (very bad). I often can have gas that is very smells strongly of sulphur.

Any ideas, solutions, recommendations? I am vaguely familiar with concepts such as CBS mutation, methylation but there are many schools of thought that dismiss CBS mutations as false.

I really need to keep my selenium and copper high. My thyroid really suffers otherwise.

Avoid high sulfur foods for a while, primarily: Brassica, Eggs, Beans, Alliums, Dairy. Easy way to remember is B.E. B.A.D., as in 'them sulfur containing foods be bad for my gas'. Take plenty of supplemental molybdenum (key to optimal sulfuration pathways), and also get lots of pepto-bismul (this will help to eliminate excess sulfur from the gut) and also make iron less available to gut bacteria. I have been reading about this lately, I think it explains why I always feel bloated after eating, and burp excessively - even after having done all I can otherwise to keep from having any SIBO symptoms, (enzymes, acv, hcl, etc etc). I think this also explains why I respond so well to DMSO - I think it gives me relief as it is getting sulfur to places that are sulfur deficient (this supports the idea that I have some poor handling of sulfur). What I have gathered is, if the sulfur pathways are not running well, then to compensate, the gut will support more hydrogen sulfide producing bacteria - which over time creates poor health effects and is agitated by taking in more sulfur. Apparently people have a good success rate of correcting this problem simply by taking a break from high sulfur foods for several weeks, and increasing molydenum etc. I am trying this out as of just a few days ago. I realized I have been eating a lot of high sulfur foods for most of my life, and generally have always felt bloated, so I am interested to see if this fixes my bloat. I have always been bloated to the extent that if I lose weight it is hardly noticeable as my gut will just take up the extra slack through bloat.

Last edited:
OP
C
Avoid high sulfur foods for a while, primarily: Brassica, Eggs, Beans, Alliums, Dairy. Easy way to remember is B.E. B.A.D., as in 'them sulfur containing foods be bad for my gas'. Take plenty of supplemental molybdenum (key to optimal sulfuration pathways

Interesting, I never realised that dairy was so high in sulfur?

Also I'd like to take some molybdenum but I am kinda afraid it will lower my copper even more. Is this something you've experienced?

Also I'd like to take some molybdenum but I am kinda afraid it will lower my copper even more. Is this something you've experienced?

I'm not sure, I am convinced though that I have also been low copper for years. I did not respond well to taking a lot of zinc, and am responding very well now that I have cut off zinc and started to supplement copper. Primarily my joints are not aching so badly and I am noticing improved sleep.

I've been going off of this list, maybe it is not the most accurate, but after reviewing it I think almost all of the foods listed do raise bloat for me, where as the safe foods listed do not produce nearly as much bloat.

Sulfur food list - high & low thiol foods « livingnetwork.co.za

I don't completely agree with the concept of avoiding supplements that may contain sulfur though... for instance DMSO and MSM have never increased bloat for me, and generally have given me relief from pain etc. Although I don't think either is good to use frequently.

Last edited:
OP
C
Really interesting. I have a lot of premature grey hair (28 years old) and my thyroid swells when my copper and/or selenium get low. I find it very worrying.

Maybe we have some kind of sulphur overload that prevents our bodies from holding on to those minerals. Sulphur does lower them I believe.

Really interesting. I have a lot of premature grey hair (28 years old) and my thyroid swells when my copper and/or selenium get low. I find it very worrying.

Maybe we have some kind of sulphur overload that prevents our bodies from holding on to those minerals. Sulphur does lower them I believe.

Could be, I know I have been told that I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I also started to go grey early, around 25. I am in mid/late 30s now and last year when I was under a lot of stress noticed a sudden increase in grey hair, I don't mind going grey - but if it coincides with me feeling crappy - then that is worrisome. I am hopeful that copper supplementation helps.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

I don't think taking molybdenum will solve it, although a diet without enough organ meats, leafy greens and seeds (legumes, whole grains and nuts) might be deficient indeed. Not only from the risk of causing further imbalances, I just posted elsewhere for example that joint problems is a common adverse effect from higher intakes (environmental exposure or supplementation); but also because if the body allowed bactaeria that thrive on sulfur to grow, molybdenum will make the situation worse because some of them need it for similar enzymes involved in sulfur metabolism.

DMSO and sulfate (as magnesium sulfate for example) might provide relief, but if a molybdenum deficiency is involved, those will make it worse over time.

Avoiding those foods altogether is probably not a good idea if the overgrowth was compensatory because it will either go into dormancy and become more resistant, or send the signal to the body that more owagrowth is desirable. However, reducing the intake is worth considering and trying to add other fermentable foods that won't support their growth (there are plenty of them).

Here's a good starting the places..

Glutathione Depletion/Methylation Blockades in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

1. To get an isolated case of CFS (I’m not talking here about the epidemics or clusters), you have to have inherited some genetic variations from your parents. These are called polymorphisms or single-nucleotide polymorphisms. We know what some of the important ones are, but we don’t know all of them yet. This is a topic that needs more research.

2. You also have to have some things happen in your life that place demands on your supply of glutathione. Glutathione is like a very small protein, and there is some in every cell of your body, and in your blood. It protects your body from quite a few things that can cause problems, including chemicals that are toxic, and oxidizing free radicals. It also helps the immune system to fight bugs (bacteria, viruses, fungi) so that you are protected from infections by them.

3. Oxidizing free radicals are molecules that have an odd number of electrons, and are very chemically reactive. They are normally formed as part of the metabolism in the body, but if they rise to high levels and are not eliminated by glutathione and the rest of the antioxidant system, they will react with things they shouldn’t, and cause problems. This situation is called oxidative stress, and it is probably the best-proven biochemical aspect of chronic fatigue syndrome.

4. There are a variety of things in your life that can place demands on your glutathione. These include physical injuries or surgery to your body, exposure to toxic chemicals such as pesticides, solvents, or heavy metals like mercury, arsenic or lead, exposure to infectious agents or vaccinations, or emotional stress that causes secretion of a lot of cortisol and adrenaline, especially if it continues over a long time. Just about anything that “stresses” your body or your mind will place a demand on glutathione. All people experience a variety of stressors all the time, and a healthy person’s body is able to keep up with the demands for glutathione by recycling used glutathione molecules and by making new ones as needed. However, if a person’s body cannot keep up, either because of extra-high demands or inherited genetic polymorphisms that interfere with recycling or making glutathione, or both, the levels of glutathione in the cells can go too low. When glutathione is properly measured in most people with CFS (such as in the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel), it is found to be below normal.

5. One of the jobs that glutathione normally does is to protect your supply of vitamin B12 from reacting with toxins. If left unprotected, vitamin B12 is very reactive chemically. If it reacts with toxins, it can’t be used for its important jobs in your body. A routine blood test for vitamin B12 will not reveal this problem. In fact, many people with CFS appear to have elevated levels of B12 in their blood, while their bodies are not able to use it properly. The best test to reveal this is a urine organic acids test that includes methylmalonic acid. It will be high if the B12 is being sidetracked, and this is commonly seen in people with CFS.

6. When your glutathione level goes too low, your B12 becomes naked and vulnerable, and is hijacked by toxins. Also, the levels of toxins rise in the body when there isn’t enough glutathione to take them out, so there are two unfortunate things that work together to sabotage your B12 when glutathione goes too low.

7. The most important job that B12 has in the body is to form methylcobalamin, which is one of the two active forms of B12. This form is needed by the enzyme methionine synthase, to do its job. An enzyme is a substance that catalyzes, or encourages, a certain biochemical reaction.

8. When there isn’t enough methylcobalamin, methionine synthase has to slow down its reaction. Its reaction lies at the junction of the methylation cycle and the folate cycle, so when this reaction slows down, it affects both these cycles.

9. The methylation cycle is found in all the cells of the body (not counting the red blood cells, which are unusual in a lot of ways). The methylation cycle has some important jobs to do. First, it acts as a little factory to supply methyl (CH3) groups to a large number of reactions in the body. Some of these reactions make things like creatine, carnitine, coenzyme Q10, phosphatidylcholine, melatonin, and lots of other important substances for the body. It is not a coincidence that these substances are found to be low in CFS, so that people try taking them as supplements. Not enough of them is being made because of the partial block in the methylation cycle. The methylation cycle also supplies methyl groups to be attached to DNA molecules, and this helps to determine whether the blueprints in the DNA will be used to make certain proteins according to their patterns. The “reading” of DNA is referred to as “gene expression.” Methyl groups prevent or “silence” gene expression. Overexpression of genes has been observed in CFS patients, and I suspect this is at least partly due to lack of sufficient methylation to silence gene expression.

10. Another thing that the methylation cycle does is to regulate the overall use of sulfur in the body. Sulfur comes in from the diet in the form of amino acids in protein (methionine and cysteine) and as taurine and some as sulfate. The methylation cycle regulates the production of the various substances that contain sulfur that are needed by the body. The levels of various sulfur metabolites are often found to be abnormal in people with CFS.

11. One of the most important sulfur-containing substances in the body is glutathione, so now you can see how this is starting to look like a dog chasing its tail! The thing that causes chronic fatigue syndrome to be chronic, and keeps people ill for years and years, is this interaction between glutathione, vitamin B12, and the methylation cycle. When glutathione goes too low, the effect on vitamin B12 slows down the methylation cycle too much. The sulfur metabolites are then dumped into the transsulfuration pathway (which is connected to the methylation cycle) too much, are oxidized to form cystine, pass through hydrogen sulfide, and are eventually converted to thiosulfate and sulfate and are excreted in the urine. This lowers the production of glutathione, which requires cysteine rather than cystine, and now there is a vicious circle mechanism that preserves this malfunction and keeps you sick.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/nac-cysteine-increases-melanoma-spread.8075/#post-224270

I would consider replenishing B-vitamins (especially niacin; thiamine and biotin shouldn't be too troubling as the situation improves), glycine, vitamin C, magnesium in low doses spread throughout the day (excess isn't absorbed and can fuel certain infections). The quinones must be useful as well because these sulfur compounds tend to inactivate them. If these continue to cause problems when ingested, topical is an alternative.
Walking plenty should also help.

Last edited:
OP
C
I won't quote you Amazoniac as it's a long response. But also a very brilliant one. Very very informative.

What's interesting is for a whole year I couldn't function as well unless I used my transdermal methylb12 each night before bed. Maybe I do have issues with low b12... I've stopped the transdermal b12 the last few months and definitely feel way more tired without it.

Amazoniac

I won't quote you Amazoniac as it's a long response. But also a very brilliant one. Very very informative.

What's interesting is for a whole year I couldn't function as well unless I used my transdermal methylb12 each night before bed. Maybe I do have issues with low b12... I've stopped the transdermal b12 the last few months and definitely feel way more tired without it.
Have you ever tried vit C during those esipodes mentioned above?

OP
C
Have you ever tried vit C during those esipodes mentioned above?
I've tried it in the past. It made my skin look wonderful but lowered but copper too much. Maybe the amount was too much. What's the mechanism that vitamin c works to help?

Amazoniac

I've tried it in the past. It made my skin look wonderful but lowered but copper too much. Maybe the amount was too much. What's the mechanism that vitamin c works to help?
I suspect it's related to its ability to protect you from bacterial amines as well as other toxins that tend to impair respiration and paralyze the bowels. It should be one of the nutrients that when the body is under stress help to keep your tissues in Rajesh's oxidized state.

Amazoniac

Perhaps it's best to ingest the greatest amount of vit C during the first meal, with a juice for example, to let the other meals of the they replenish trace minerals with less risks of interactions.

Orange juice seems to be the main food source of vit C for many members here. When the plant cells are bursted, the nutrients combine in a solution (Travis, 2018) and if it doesn't taste sour, it's a sign that the vit C content is low. Oranges provide some of these reactive sulfur compunds that can be problematic for people already dealing with sulfur issues. So you can have too many sulfur compounds for too little vit C. It shouldn't be an issue if the sour overpowers.

Search for: 'sulfur orange juice'

There's also the issue with shower vapors that is often neglected. Those chlorine toxins increase the need for detoxification and increase the need for vit C.
If I remember it right, on the molybdenum thread there's a link discussing how people with candida overgrowth usually benefit from its supplementation, and one of the tests is being able to detect chlorine by smell after dosing, regaining sensitivity. There's something to it that is worth doing the investigatings.

Last edited:
I would consider replenishing B-vitamins (especially niacin; thiamine and biotin shouldn't be too troubling as the situation improves), glycine, vitamin C, magnesium in low doses spread throughout the day (excess isn't absorbed and can fuel certain infections). The quinones must be useful as well because these sulfur compounds tend to inactivate them. If these continue to cause problems when ingested, topical is an alternative.
Walking plenty should also help.

I have done all of these religiously for many months now, but still have a hard to reduce bloated sensation in my gut, the most effective thing I have found so far is pepto-bismul.

Amazoniac

I have done all of these religiously for many months now, but still have a hard to reduce bloated sensation in my gut, the most effective thing I have found so far is pepto-bismul.
I read that these bactaeria can electronically reduce (Travis, 2018) bismuth and apparently form nanoparticles, however I don't know what happens depending on the chelator.
It works to ease the toxicity from hydrogen sulfide and control the growth of bacteria that thrive on sulfur, but maybe this isn't enough. Perhaps a change in diet is needed.

Since the absorption of vit K from leafy greens is more difficult than a supplement, they can help to maintain vit K all throughout the digestive tract. Bactaeria require vit K for energy, if you starve them of that, some gross disturbances can happen. There are plenty of greens that shouldn't fuel the infection.

Not walking enough can also leave you with a problematic gut.

Vitamins A and D function must be insufficient or not working due to missing interacting nutrients. I suspect an impaired intestinal barrier is involved because when the immunity weakens, mucus becomes a great source of sulfur, especially in the presence of constipation.

If you avoid the problematic foods altogether, they go into hibernation becoming much more resistant to immunity. It must be useful to restrict, but not avoid. At the same time, you can speed up the process by encouraging the change of bacteria by adding fermentable fibers that they just can't use. I know that the cancer therapists address this through restriction of animal protein for a while, aggressive supplementation along with a nourishing diet for repletion and intestinal lavages. Desiccated thyroid and iodine can enter the story to support metabolism and immunity.

You might find from the list posted above that it's more particular than that: it often involves issues various allergies than stem from malabsorption, that in turn is associated with feeling cold, depressed, and so on; things that point to a generalized problem rather than just the infection.

This might interest both of you:
A Fatal Case of Acute Hydrogen Sulfide Poisoning Caused by Hydrogen Sulfide: Hydroxocobalamin Therapy for Acute Hydrogen Sulfide Poisoning

--
Regarding being able to taste acids in fruits, of course not all is vit C. Also, good fruits have them neutralized when they're allowed to ripen, so they can have high vit C despite not tasting sour. But in fruits that are supposed to have a decent amount of it, the higher the content, the more likely it's to be perceptible.

I think it is primarily cheeses and creams that contain high amounts of free thiols. I do not drink milk often though so this is an easy way for me to remember.

Amazoniac

There is this review article which is very detailed:
Sulfur Cycling and the Intestinal Microbiome

"Approximately 20% of methionine and 25% of cysteine supplied in the diet is metabolized in the gastrointestinal tract [34], and, due to the high metabolic activity of the intestinal ecosystem, the concentration of free methionine and cysteine in the colon is extremely low [35]."

"About 25% of the transsulfuration reactions in the human occur in the intestinal mucosa [36] and, if homocysteine accumulates, there is a dysfunction in patients leading to inflammatory intestinal disease [36, 37]."

"Endogenous sulfur-containing compounds present in the intestinal ecosystem includes sulfated bile, chondroitin sulfate, heparin and sulfomucins [31, 69, 70]."

"SRB [sulfate-reducing bactaeria] become established in individuals at a very early age and persist in the gut throughout their life [29]."

"In terms of oxygen tension, the intestinal tract is interesting in that it has an aerobic periphery maintained by intestinal epithelial cells and an anaerobic lumen resulting from high bacterial metabolic activity. The large intestine is covered by a dense mucous layer which contains few bacterial cells and a loose mucous layer which is highly populated by foraging bacteria [104]. The inner mucous layer contains a variety of antibacterial compounds produced by intestinal cells and serves to protect the intestinal cells. Various bacteria are attached to the outer mucous layer forming a biofilm which excludes pathogens and promotes fermentative bacteria to convert mucin glycans to butyrate which is important energy source for the colonocytes."

"As H2S diffuses from the lumen to the colonocytes, low levels of hydrogen sulfide stimulate oxygen consumption by mitochondrial respiration but at >20 microM H2S, mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase in colonocytes is inhibited [105]. Initially, hydrogen sulfide binds to the cytochrome oxidase with one molecule of H2S binding to oxidized Fe in heme a3 and another molecule of H2S binding to a reduced CuB binuclear center of cytochrome oxidase."

"Intestinal anaerobic bacteria ferment carbohydrates and dietary materials to produce propionic, acetic and butyric acids with butyric acid serving as an important energy source for colonic epithelial cells. While the concentration of hydrogen sulfide in the intestinal lumen would be in the range of 0.1–0.5 mM, hydrogen sulfide at 2 mM was found to prevent oxidation of butyric acid in the distal and ascending regions of the colon by inhibiting acyl-CoA dehydrogenase [106]. This depriving of colonic cells of energy may be important in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis, a disease of the large bowel, without affecting the small bowel because epithelial cells of the small bowel do not use butyric acid but instead use glucose and glucosamine for energy [11]."

"There is evidence that H2S is a bacterial cytoprotectant molecule against antimicrobials and oxidative stress. Documentation that H2S could increase resistance of Escherichia coli to antibiotics was first documented over 40 years ago [128]. Given the widespread use of antibiotics in the medical, agricultural, and food industries, microbes capable of H2S production could potentially have a large impact. Our group has found that, after administering a broad-spectrum antibiotic cocktail to mice (adapted from Chen et al., [129]), there was a bloom of sulfate-reducing bacteria 7–14 days after the cessation of antibiotic treatment (our unpublished data)."

"Shatalin et al. [130] found that bacteria exposed to hydrogen peroxide or ampicillin that were lacking H2S enzymes had more DNA breaks than cells capable of producing H2S, or had exogenous H2S supplementation, suggesting that H2S protects chromosomal DNA. Superoxide dismutase and catalase both function to partition reactive oxygen species for cellular protection. H2S has been shown to enhance the activity of both catalase and superoxide dismutase [133], and also to prevent reactions that produce reactive oxygen species [134]."

"Glutathione is the primary defense against oxidative damage to intestinal cells."

"It has been proposed that a common mechanism of bactericidal antibiotic action occurs by hydroxyl radicals being generated in microbes regardless of drug–target interaction [138]. There is evidence that H2S could protect microbes from bactericidal antibiotics through scavenging of reactive oxygen species or by induction of the glutathione cascade [139, 140]. However, that theory was challenged by subsequent studies that showed that reactive oxygen species do not play a role in the bactericidal activity by antibiotics [141, 142]. In this scenario, H2S must protect bacteria from bactericidal antibiotics through a mechanism not related to oxidative stress. Due to the substantial evidence that H2S acts as a cytoprotectant for bacterial cells in the presence of antimicrobials, it is imperative for future studies to look into routes of H2S production inhibition or H2S inactivation to improve the efficacy of antibiotics."

"There are several bacterial processes that may result in production of H2S in the colon (Fig. 6). The anaerobic dissimilatory SRB produce hydrogen sulfide from inorganic sulfate and sulfated compounds supplied in the diet. An important source of endogenous sulfate is the enzymatic removal of sulfate from sulfated mucin. Hydrogen sulfide is also produced by bacterial metabolism of sulfur-containing amino acids and especially cysteine. Hydrogen sulfide diffuses to the intestinal cells where a significant quantity of H2S is oxidized by colonocytes to thiosulfate and tetrathionate. Bacterial and intestinal cells involved in the degradation of tetrathionate and thiosulfate results in the release of hydrogen sulfide. In many instances, sulfite produced from thiosulfate dehydrogenase is also reduced to hydrogen sulfide."

"It has been reported that, when using human fecal materials, sulfated mucin, cysteine, taurine and other sulfur- containing endogenous compounds produce hydrogen sulfide at a faster rate than the reduction of sulfate [43]. Some H2S is released by flatulence and feces, while a significant quantity of H2S is oxidized by colonocytes to thiosulfate and tetrathionate. The presence of thiosulfate in portal blood [43, 144] suggests that the amount of recycled H2S could be significant. Near the intestinal wall, the environment is micro-aerophilic and H2S could signal facultative bacteria to produce cytochrome oxidases that are not inhibited by H2S."​

If you happen to read it in details, you'll notice that the idea of avoiding most food sources of sulfur possible in attempt to solve this issue goes down the drain because even if you fasted, there are still bile compounds and mucusal lining that will keep a steady supply for them.

Like it was mentioned, the cancer therapists seemed to have dealt with this problem often.

I lied elsewhere, there's more from Gerson:
"Now about three or four months ago a case came to Philadelphia. She told me when her son and brother brought her in that she had suffered from cancer of the rectum. At first the doctors didn't want to operate, then they couldn't. It was too late. Then she spent a half at the Hoxey Clinic, and then she came home with a liver full of cancer and hard as a board. I told her son and brother that this was too much, it wouldn't go. Take her home and make her comfortable. But they insisted I must try. And I did. And she is doing well! She can eat and drink, and anterior part of her liver is a scar, hard as though it were calcified. Probably there is enough liver left. The son asked when they took her home after eight weeks, "You see, why didn't you want to take her?" At least for four weeks, every two hours and sometimes even every hour, she took enemas twice a day! She had so much gas and eliminated such large amounts of evil-smelling masses. When she left, we had to paint the room. It couldn't be washed off the paint."​

In extreme cases, if you were to avoid something, it must be animal proteids for a while since they are the major source of sulfur in people's diets. Some inevitably escapes digestion and considering their high sulfur content, this small portion can be a lot for someone with an infection.

Metchnikoff observed that animals that feed on corpses don't have problems with putrefaction (!) because their intestines move fast enough. Which is why the focus should be on vigorous activity and robust immunity.

Sometimes nutrients only work when given in conjuction and when you manage to get a break from at least part of chronic poisoning (through frequent enemas for example).

Last edited:
I'm starting to doubt that my bloat is coming from sulfur... I suspected it, because I do tend to eat a lot of high sulfur food, but now that I have reduced the intake of these foods and also been on pepto-bismul for over a week, I still feel more bloated than I think I should, and I still get bloated almost immediately after eating basically anything. Otherwise I would say my g.i. is very healthy, I am just so tired of this endless bloated gut feeling, nothing really seems to make a difference. I burp way too much after eating even the smallest snack, or having just a sip of seltzer, it is weird. I know it is not a lack of stomach acid or digestive enzymes, taking supplements for this or not makes no difference. I am not sure if it is bacteria based either, I think it is something else entirely.... Any guesses?

Any success meanwhile ?

@Motif

I may be on to some progress... taking 4 grams of vitamin c throughout the day is helping a little. I am starting to think I have less gaba in body than is optimal... my theory is that low gaba makes for poor digestion. The bloat seems to correlate with an overall feeling of baseline higher than ideal stress. Attempting to lower cortisol and histamine and pufa and estrogen and serotonin and starch, or raise progesterone and dhea and testosterone and dht and better mineral intakes and ratios; None of these strategies have really helped. Same goes for antibiotics or gut rebalancing strategies. Sadly speeding up my metabolism has also not helped much. It makes sense to me low gaba could be the missing link. I recently read that spinal cord related injury can perpetuate a deficiency in gaba, and an excess of excito-toxins. I damaged my upper back a few years ago and this is when the weight gain and perpetual bloat started. While I have mostly healed my shoulder, I still have some stiffness and calcification in the upper back area and have found gaba agonists to help with this dull discomfort . I am about to try taking pure gaba and skullcap for the first time. All the other pro gaba routes I have tried, glycine, magnesium, lemon balm, chamomile etc have helped somewhat but the effects feel short lived. Also I have found that coffee makes my bloating much worse so I have switched to caffeine pills. Fingers crossed!

Last edited: