Probiotics Powerfully Suppress The Immune System

haidut

The article is actually kind of interesting in regards to the new HIV therapies being tried out. But what caught my eye is specifically this quote:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Novel-immune-sup ... ge/2902377
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/ ... 7/abstract

"...The vaccine consisted of inactivated SIV administered alongside doses of familiar bacteria – in the first case the TB-suppressant bacterium BCG, and subsequently with gut bacteria of the Lactobacillus genus, including one type commonly used in probiotic supplements. This suggests that if human studies replicate the success seen in monkeys (by no means assured in vaccine studies) the vaccine could be administered in a drink....The researchers, however, are mystified as to why doing something as simple as giving inactivated SIV along with what is essentially a simple probiotic preparation produced such a strong immune-suppressant response, especially as iSIV given by itself produced a more typical immune-stimulant response."

So, SIV by itself activated the immune system. But inactive SIV together with probiotics (Lactobacillus strains) produced a powerful immune suppressant effect. Something to keep in mind the next time you see an ad on TV about how eating yogurt helps prevent the flu or even stops it in its tracks.
Once again, lactate rears its ugly head, unless there is something else the study left out that caused this effect.

Bokasso

@haidut: But wait, does this mean that BCG isn't as bad as I thought it is? Is it really beneficial in the sense that it stimulate the immune system?? I mean, afaik, they use it to treat superficial bladder cancer types and the uggly side effects are rather frequent, like inflammation etc., which again causes cancer... And yet they still keep applying it..

burtlancast

Is it really beneficial in the sense that it stimulate the immune system?? I mean, afaik, they use it to treat superficial bladder cancer types and the uggly side effects are rather frequent, like inflammation etc., which again causes cancer... And yet they still keep applying it..

Systematical BCG vaccination was at the core of Virginia Livingstone's cancer immunotherapy.

She had great results with it because BCG shares many surface antigens with her bacillus-causing cancer.

SOMO

Systematical BCG vaccination was at the core of Virginia Livingstone's cancer immunotherapy.

She had great results with it because BCG shares many surface antigens with her bacillus-causing cancer.

BCG vaccination is not available in the USA for some reason. I asked my physician if I could receive the vaccination and basically there's no way for someone to get this vaccination even if paying out of pocket.

But I hear it's common in Sweden and some other European countries.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Probiotics After Appendix Operation Digestion 0
M Why Do Probiotics Cause UTI Digestion 2
S Probiotics Thoughts? Digestion 2
JanP Are Bacillus Subtilis And B. Licheniformis Probiotics Peaty? Lactic Acid Production Ask For Help or Advice 15
tankasnowgod Probiotics- Better Off Dead. (And More Effective!) Digestion, Gut Flora 32
haidut Probiotics Are Dangerous, Should Be Regulated As Drugs Scientific Studies 132
Jerimy Brown Anyone Know If Probiotics Are Safe When Dealing With Serotonin Syndrome? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 36
LoryEl Probiotics Help U Loose Body Fat? Diet, Recipes 2
raysputin Free Probiotics Digestion 2
ddjd Peat - Friendly Probiotics? Ask For Help or Advice 10
S Probiotics Decrease Water Retention In Face Ask For Help or Advice 5
mayweatherking Stopping The Vicious Circle Of High Fungus. Constipation, Antifungals And Probiotics mayweatherking 116
N Are Probiotics Worth A Shot? Digestion 39
DaveFoster Probiotics Revisited From Gut-Expert Ray Medina Digestion 68
Velve921 Probiotics: Essential Or Misguided Reasoning? Digestion, Gut Flora 17
goodandevil interesting experience regarding probiotics and sibo Testimonials 3
N Yogurt/Probiotics after a round of Antibiotics? Yoghurt, Kefir 71
hoppimike Are There Any Peat-friendly Probiotics? Supplements 131
ScurveDream Alcohol not working so powerfully anymore?! Dammit! Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 1
D Why Does Low Dose Pregnenolone Affect Me So Powerfully? Pregnenolone 15
zarrin77 Theacrine Powerfully Lowers Serotonin, Increases Dopamine, And Slashes Lactic Acid From Stress Scientific Studies 16
meatbag Lipoic Acid Inhibits NO Synthesis As Powerfully As Methylarginine Scientific Studies 2
haidut Low Dose DHEA Powerfully Shifts The Redox Status Towards Oxidation Scientific Studies 22
haidut Inosine Powerfully Stimulates Mitochondriogenesis, Oxidative Metabolism & Cell Differentiation Scientific Studies 16
DaveFoster Mirtazapine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol Scientific Studies 23
haidut PPI Drugs (anti GERD) Powerfully Inhibit Steroidogenesis Scientific Studies 3
haidut Glycine Powerfully Lowers Cortisol Scientific Studies 90
H Does Progesterone Suppress Testosterone Progesterone 58
Peatogenic Do You Think Supplementary Efforts At Increasing Metabolism Or Immunity Can Actually Suppress Them? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
haidut Estrogen And Cortisol, Not Androgens, Suppress Immunity Scientific Studies 1
EssntlFttyBstrd Chelating Selenium And Chromium? Se & Cr Cause Diabetes And Suppress Copper Metabolism Ask For Help or Advice 4
Soren Nucleotidyltransferase Enzymes Inhibitors Suppress Herpes Virus Up To 891,000 Fold Scientific Studies 0
lvysaur High Noise Levels Suppress Sweet-craving, Enhance Umami-craving Miscellaneous 1
F Silly Question: Doesn't Taking Hormones Suppress Your Hormone Production? Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Reduce Radiation By 30-40% And Suppress Lipid Peroxidation Completely Articles & Newsletters 2
G Can Cyproheptadine Permantely Suppress Growth Hormone? Cyproheptadine 8
P Biotin May Lower Carnitin Production And Suppress Beta Oxidation Articles & Scientific Studies 1
B 2 Quarts Of Milk Has 1.2 Mg Of Iodine; Enough To Suppress The Thyroid And Cause Acne In Many Doubts About Milk 71
W PUFA Suppress Hepatic Farnesyl Diphosphate Synthase Expression Scientific Studies 2
P Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors Pentoxifylline And Rolipram Suppress Macrophage Activation & Nitric Oxi Scientific Studies 0
Nicholas Does Calcium Suppress Metabolism? Doubts About Milk 8
mayweatherking what else does dopamine suppress or increase? (it decreases b6) mayweatherking 3
Tarmander Does Cascara Suppress The Immune System? Cascara Sagrada 46
N High levels of prostoglandins suppress testosterone production - try Aspirin? Aspirin 0
J Taking Vitamin E with Omega 3 Doesn't Suppress Lipid Peroxid Articles & Scientific Studies 0
J How does liver suppress thyroid function? Organ Meat 4