Probiotic Use During Antibiotic Course

equipoise

Howdy. A long time lurker here.
I have a question for you all.

What's the consensus on using probiotics aka live microorganisms during doxycyline 100mg 2x daily course for treatment of ureaplasma (a parasite).
So the mainstream opinion is that probiotics are a must during the use of antibiotics, spaced out minimum 3 hours apart in order to be effective and so the gut can rejuvenate in a quick manner.

As I understood, Peat is against probiotic use in general because of the d-lactic acid?
I've seen numerous threads about it, putting them on par with drug use.

Would really like someone to clarify that for me.

Maljam

After several weeks of maximum dose antibiotics many years ago my stomach was in absolute bits, possibly the worst I have ever felt. The probiotic S Bouldardii gave me relief within days, and can be taken whilst antibiotics are taken. There are some studies on boulardii helping the gut following antibiotics. It is a yeast which will die shortly after you stop taking them, so no chance of your gut being populated by a strain of bacteria that doesn't suit you, which is a real problem.

There are many reports on the internet on peoples health being damaged by taking probiotics, even ones Peat likes like subtilis, I dont think enough research has been done into probiotics yet for anyone to be absolutely certain the best strategy for using them and I think they are a little bit of a fad. Although there is also negative reports of boulardii, the yeast aspect of it is safer IMO.

If I were ever to take another antibiotics course I would make sure to stock up on s boulardii and only eat foods I know digest well for me.

Prospective randomized controlled study on the effects of Saccharomyces boulardii CNCM I-745 and amoxicillin-clavulanate or the combination on the gut microbiota of healthy volunteers

"Antibiotic treatment is associated with marked microbiota changes with both reductions and increases in different genera. S. boulardii treatment can mitigate some antibiotic-induced microbiota changes (dysbiosis) and can also reduce antibiotic-associated diarrhea."

Jessie

Howdy. A long time lurker here.
I have a question for you all.

What's the consensus on using probiotics aka live microorganisms during doxycyline 100mg 2x daily course for treatment of ureaplasma (a parasite).
So the mainstream opinion is that probiotics are a must during the use of antibiotics, spaced out minimum 3 hours apart in order to be effective and so the gut can rejuvenate in a quick manner.

As I understood, Peat is against probiotic use in general because of the d-lactic acid?
I've seen numerous threads about it, putting them on par with drug use.

Would really like someone to clarify that for me.
Maybe, the metabolically therapeutic dosages of doxy and other antibiotics is typically much lower than 100mgs. You're taking it in higher concentrations to kill a parasite. Though I would strongly urge using something more benign than traditional probiotics.

Floraphages and sodium butyrate are good choices. I think Danny said sporebiotics are reasonably safe as well. Greek yogurt tends to be really low in lactic acid, and is probably the safest choice out of all the food options. The point is to counter the effects of the antibiotic without giving yourself bacterial overgrowth.

managing

Maybe, the metabolically therapeutic dosages of doxy and other antibiotics is typically much lower than 100mgs. You're taking it in higher concentrations to kill a parasite. Though I would strongly urge using something more benign than traditional probiotics.

Floraphages and sodium butyrate are good choices. I think Danny said sporebiotics are reasonably safe as well. Greek yogurt tends to be really low in lactic acid, and is probably the safest choice out of all the food options. The point is to counter the effects of the antibiotic without giving yourself bacterial overgrowth.
Can you elaborate on what sodium butyrate's benefit would be in this situation?

Jessie

Can you elaborate on what sodium butyrate's benefit would be in this situation?
It's the short chain fatty acids in it. They shift the internal ecology of the microbiome without introducing exogenous bacteria like in the case with traditional probiotics. They work in a very similar fashion to phages. Reduced bloating, less gas, faster transit, etc.

Taking a standard probiotic is more of a 'hit or miss' type of scenario. You have no idea if those specific strains are going to help you or not, furthermore it's unclear just how many of those bacteria get left in the small intestine as it passes through. Phages and butyrate tend to suppress the gram negative LPS producing bacteria by turning them into food for other bacteria that produce SCFAs. So they tend to be more effective on average, and less dangerous then just supplementing random bacterias.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals