probiotic dairy.....yes or no?

Dutchie

Diets such as gaps and scd are also big on gelatin/broth to heal the gutlining but they also advocate probiotic dairy such as. yoghurt,soft curd cheese,kefir to repopulate the gut.
Hpwever i heard that ray says something about thr. Lactic acid in it being detrimental? is it really that bad? lately ive been eating a ypghurt banans lime canesugar smoothie and i sometimes feel mentslly lethatgoc after it,so dont know if its got something to do with the bacteria as i like yoghurt also bc it makes a quick easy meal.

cliff

The bacteria and lactic acid can both be problematic

I think un-fermented dairy is preferable

4peatssake

cliff said:

:1

Dutchie

cliff said:

I don't get that.....how's that possible? and how do you then repopulate/rebalance good gut bacteria?bc otherwise you can eat as many gelatin as you want,but still tackle part of the problem and probably still not able to digest/tolerate certain foods.

FunkOdyssey

Dutchie said:
I don't get that.....how's that possible? and how do you then repopulate/rebalance good gut bacteria?bc otherwise you can eat as many gelatin as you want,but still tackle part of the problem and probably still not able to digest/tolerate certain foods.

Peat wants the gut as sterile as possible. Most peat-inspired diets, unless they emphasize alot of whole fruits, are easily/completely digested, very low residue and low fiber, and will starve most of your gut flora to death, except that which is sustained by your own mucous secretions.

With such low numbers of bacteria, I imagine it becomes less significant whether they are "good" or "bad".

jyb

FunkOdyssey said:
Dutchie said:

Peat wants the gut as sterile as possible. Most peat-inspired diets, unless they emphasize alot of whole fruits, are easily/completely digested, very low residue and low fiber, and will starve most of your gut flora to death, except that which is sustained by your own mucous secretions.

With such low numbers of bacteria, I imagine it becomes less significant whether they are "good" or "bad".

Also things like carrot fibre, easy sugar and milk for example are all supposed to have specific effects on the number and type of bacteria.

Dutchie

FunkOdyssey said:
Dutchie said:

So,would that mean that if you consume starch,even the ones considered. Safe,would cause imbalances and then do need probiotics?or would the gelatin&daily carrot be enough?

Rolan

I thought gut flora was necessary? Obviously good flora, but if we're killing it all off that obviously means the good stuff too.

As for Yoghurt, I had been eating it like a fiend(Greek Yoghurt from Fage) for the last 6-8 months. Primarily as a way of easy calories but also because I had this nagging desire for Dairy(or probably Calcium to be specific). I do alright with it, but sometimes felt sinusy along with it. Since re-starting with the good ole' milk, I have NO desire for it now even though I have a tub of it sitting in my fridge. Obviously my Calcium requirement is being fulfilled.

Ari

Well as far as the mental lethargy goes, the only way to know for sure is to gorge on the yogurt itself and see what the effects are. I think that's the best way to learn how you react to a food... eat it by itself, and a lot of it.

As far as fermented foods/probiotics go, there are many studies out there on the topic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16987435
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1454705/

Its a decision you will probably have to make on your own, as to whether you want to eat these things or not.