Pro Question: Why is my upper dental arch ticklish?

Michael Mohn

Sometimes my upper dental arch / hard palate is super ticklish/sensitive. A touch with my tongue or with a finger is almost unbearable.

Why? What does it mean? Serious answers only, please. :cool:

cjm

Sometimes my upper dental arch / hard palate is super ticklish/sensitive. A touch with my tongue or with a finger is almost unbearable.

Why? What does it mean? Serious answers only, please. :cool:

If you want a serious answer, you're going to need to share a lot more about your situation : )

I have always had a ticklish palate. My dental fate has been to have all my teeth capped with 2 extractions and 9 root canals.

My 30,000 foot guess for you:

Overexcited tissue. Lack of local nerve inhibition.

How are your teeth, how's your bite?

I'm also ticklish all over but sometimes it will subside spontaneously. Couldn't tell you what makes a difference. Just that my girlfriend was trying to tickle my feet this weekend and could not get a reaction. Normally I will squirm. The "calm ready" state does not know what ticklish is.

So, the ticklish arch could be a sign of trouble to come, or it could be nothing, but I would try and work through it.

Try and sense your palate's connections to its next door neighbors, your teeth, your jaw, your cheek, your lips.

See if you can get nearby tissue to compensate for whatever is overexciting your palate. Does clenching your jaw cause spasms in the palate?

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

If you want a serious answer, you're going to need to share a lot more about your situation : )

I have always had a ticklish palate. My dental fate has been to have all my teeth capped with 2 extractions and 9 root canals.

My 30,000 foot guess for you:

Overexcited tissue. Lack of local nerve inhibition.

How are your teeth, how's your bite?

I'm also ticklish all over but sometimes it will subside spontaneously. Couldn't tell you what makes a difference. Just that my girlfriend was trying to tickle my feet this weekend and could not get a reaction. Normally I will squirm. The "calm ready" state does not know what ticklish is.

So, the ticklish arch could be a sign of trouble to come, or it could be nothing, but I would try and work through it.

Try and sense your palate's connections to its next door neighbors, your teeth, your jaw, your cheek, your lips.

See if you can get nearby tissue to compensate for whatever is overexciting your palate. Does clenching your jaw cause spasms in the palate?

It is ticklish sometimes not always. I don't suffer, it is just bizarre. I have a screwed up circadian rhythm at the moment and a bit of alergy. Nervous overexcitation is possible.

korpesh

I get that a lot before allergy attacks. I think it has something to do with histamine.

cjm

Interesting. I definitely have high histamine at the moment.

A nose spray would be a cool experiment. Ever tried Nasalcrom?

Roger Altounyan and the discovery of cromolyn (sodium cromoglycate)

"A better bronchodilator?

Roger [Altounyan] discovered that the medical research department was seeking a better bronchodilator by means of molecular modification of the Middle Eastern drug khellin, which was known to relax smooth muscle. Some of the new compounds protected guinea pigs from fatal bronchoconstriction induced either by inhalation of histamine or methacholine or by inhalation of an aerosol of egg albumin in sensitized animals. However, he noted that prior inhalation of one compound partially protected antigen-challenged guinea pigs, even though it had no bronchodilator properties. The significance of this observation had been overlooked until Roger saw that this unique property had the potential of being a prophylactic treatment for allergic asthma. Unfortunately, the research director was only interested in bronchodilators. Roger knew that human asthma and bronchospasm induced in guinea pigs had different features (eg, antihistamines did not help his asthma) and was convinced that the experimental compounds needed to be tested in human asthma. He therefore persuaded the chemists to give him some to try on asthma that he would induce in himself.

He carried out these tests while conducting thrice-weekly follow-up clinics for patients with chronic asthma and chronic nonspecific lung disease at the local chest hospital.

At the start of each clinic, he would induce an asthmatic attack in himself either by inhaling histamine or methacholine or an aerosol of an extract of guinea pig hair, to which he was sensitive, measuring its progress and severity on the basis of FEV1. He then tested the ability of new compounds to prevent or reverse these attacks by inhaling them either before or after the challenge. Most new compounds had little effect, but prior inhalation of one intensely bitter, short-acting compound with no bronchodilator properties did significantly reduce his asthmatic reaction. Incidentally, it was ineffective in protecting guinea pigs. This was sufficient to convince him that if a more acceptable, more potent, and longer-lasting compound could be synthesized, it could be a unique prophylactic treatment for asthma and totally different in mechanism (and side effects) from corticosteroids. In the course of these studies, he discovered a great deal about bronchial pharmacology.

Between July 1957 and eventual success 8 years later, he must have induced about a thousand asthmatic attacks in himself. Some were frighteningly severe: he often allowed the FEV1 to fall to less than 0.5 L before aborting the attack with isoproterenol.

Several of the new compounds provided limited protection against antigen challenge, but none were sufficiently potent, acceptable, or both to be therapeutically useful. But as the work continued, he began to see a structure-activity relationship to guide the development of new compounds.

In 1961, a new research director decided that the work was getting nowhere and stopped the project. After 5 years of frustration punctuated by disappointment and failures, most people would have given up, but Roger remained determined to pursue his idea and persuaded his colleagues to make new compounds secretly, although now they could not be tested for safety.

In 1963, a new compound, chemically a chromone, was synthesized, which provided virtually 100% protection for many hours and was only slightly bitter. He showed also that protection diminished rapidly if the compound was inhaled even minutes after antigen challenge. There were now 2 questions to be answered: Although the compound clearly protected against inhaled antigen, would it work in natural clinical asthma? How should it be administered? To ensure that the drug was in place before any putative inhaled antigen, a volunteer patient with severe allergic asthma inhaled an aerosol of the new compound continuously for 60 hours. The result was unequivocal and devastating: it had absolutely no effect.

Roger retested it on himself: this time it provided no protection. He then discovered that a new batch of the compound had been made in an apparently identical way, but no one could explain what had happened. It was 18 months later that Roger wondered whether the compound might have contained some highly active contaminant. A chemist colleague speculated that 2 molecules of the chromone might have united to form a small quantity of a highly active bis-chromone. In the autumn of 1964, they synthesized several bis-chromones, which Roger tested, and in February 1965, he found that one of them, compound 670 (FPL 670), provided virtually complete protection against antigen challenge, lasting for many hours (Fig 2). This compound was named disodium cromoglycate in the United Kingdom and cromolyn in the United States."

Last edited:
OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

It is on my to buy list for experimentation although I don't have asthma and anti-histamines helps me greatly. I'm allergic to mites and live in an apartment with an old carpet. Gonna move out soon.

Last edited:

cjm

It is on my to buy list for experimentation although I don't have asthma and anti-histamines helps me greatly. I'm allergic to mites and live in apartment with an old carpet. Gonna move out soon.

Bingo

Cromolyn is really powerful stuff, like it should be trialed for psychiatric conditions, so if you give it a shot before you go, you shouldn't need more than a spray or two (~5mg per pump). It will stop a panic attack for me at a high enough dose, 100+ mg. Psychosis fades within an hour. It does leave a mental "blankness" at that dose, which I attribute to lower histamine. I have a lifelong peanut allergy and eternal wakefulness I attribute to high histamine. My younger sister (by 2 years) will get severe asthma attacks. Similar chemistry, different dominant organ: her lungs, my brain.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Great, I will order it soon. The unknown mode of effect of Chromolyn might point to a large therapeutic window. What is eternal wakefulness?
Bingo

Cromolyn is really powerful stuff, like it should be trialed for psychiatric conditions, so if you give it a shot before you go, you shouldn't need more than a spray or two (~5mg per pump). It will stop a panic attack for me at a high enough dose, 100+ mg. Psychosis fades within an hour. It does leave a mental "blankness" at that dose, which I attribute to lower histamine. I have a lifelong peanut allergy and eternal wakefulness I attribute to high histamine. My younger sister (by 2 years) will get severe asthma attacks. Similar chemistry, different dominant organ: her lungs, my brain.

cjm

Great, I will order it soon. The unknown mode of effect of Chromolyn might point to a large therapeutic window. What is eternal wakefulness?

LOL, not a medical term, I just made it up based on how I was feeling. Never can relax enough to fall asleep naturally.

Yes, agreed on the broader scope. Not sure how broad.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

LOL, not a medical term, I just made it up based on how I was feeling. Never can relax enough to fall asleep naturally.

Yes, agreed on the broader scope. Not sure how broad.
I fall asleep easily but I have some circadian shift, I sleep 4-5hours wake up at night and can't go back too sleep but at noon I fàll sleep for another period of 3-4 hours. Anti histamine make me groggy so I would love to have a non histamine medication that relaxes me.