Pristine Hydro Water Filter

Waynish

Thanks looking forward to part 2

Seems the guy promoting it (Matt Blackburn) blocked the Primitive guy... I'm always surprised at how long it takes people to see through these things - and then how long it takes people to change and let go of what they once promoted.

RealNeat

Seems the guy promoting it (Matt Blackburn) blocked the Primitive guy... I'm always surprised at how long it takes people to see through these things - and then how long it takes people to change and let go of what they once promoted.

I am the primitive guy and author of the article (Primitive.Initiative)

Waynish

I am the primitive guy and author of the article (Primitive.Initiative)

Cool... Do you know anyone with one of these filters? Shouldn't be hard to test for... This might help:

Attachments

• Thermal decomposition kinetics and mechanism of magnesium bicarbonate aqueous solution.pdf
    412.4 KB · Views: 18

RealNeat

Cool... Do you know anyone with one of these filters? Shouldn't be hard to test for... This might help:

Funny you say that, I put out a public announcement the other day asking if anyone has the unit so I can test it. I'll cover these type of things in pt. 2 of the article. Hopefully to be released end of this week or into next. I'll update people as I go.

Just an FYI I currently distill my water with an AquaNui and a small pinch of sodium bicarbonate and a few drops of Mega Mag from Trace Mineral Research. Much more reliable/ quantifiable. I also drink it plain and use the plain distilled water to make Mag Bicarbonate.

Waynish

Funny you say that, I put out a public announcement the other day asking if anyone has the unit so I can test it. I'll cover these type of things in pt. 2 of the article. Hopefully to be released end of this week or into next. I'll update people as I go.

Just an FYI I currently distill my water with an AquaNui and a small pinch of sodium bicarbonate and a few drops of Mega Mag from Trace Mineral Research. Much more reliable/ quantifiable. I also drink it plain and use the plain distilled water to make Mag Bicarbonate.

Meaning take distilled water, carbonate it with a co2 cartridge, and then add mag hydroxide?

Waynish

So it seems they're claiming magnesium oxide is in the pristine filter & via some chemical process it can be turned into magnesium bicarbonate on the fly. So as long as that works & they're saying to replace some part that holds it within a reasonable amount of time - then I guess it could be possible. However, I've not had the time/patience to buy one or look through their docs. They didn't reply to my email inquiry about it.

RealNeat

So it seems they're claiming magnesium oxide is in the pristine filter & via some chemical process it can be turned into magnesium bicarbonate on the fly. So as long as that works & they're saying to replace some part that holds it within a reasonable amount of time - then I guess it could be possible. However, I've not had the time/patience to buy one or look through their docs. They didn't reply to my email inquiry about it.

Where did you hear this?

tara

Where do you get magnesium bicarbonate powder in bulk for cheap?
You don't. But you can get Mg hydroxide powder. Eg Purebulk, but there are likely other suppliers too. Mg bicarbonate can be made by mixing Mg hydroxide in carbonated/soda water under pressure.

Waynish

You don't. But you can get Mg hydroxide powder. Eg Purebulk, but there are likely other suppliers too. Mg bicarbonate can be made by mixing Mg hydroxide in carbonated/soda water under pressure.

Yes, that's what I do for now. I'm curious about making the bicarb and then carbonating it more after. I realize mag bicarb has a certain temperature range required to exist, but I'm not sure if it gets hot enough (i.e. while making coffee) to affect it.

Leonie Rodarte

Been looking at getting an under the sink water filter and this is the best one I have found although there are one or two aspects of it I am not entirely sure about. The main issue is it's usage of Lodestones and quartz crystals to "recharge and reprogram water naturally, just like a living stream system". I have no idea if that is complete bunk or if there is some science behind it. It also I've listed the full set of features below as well as link to the website and manual for anyone who is interested. I've looked over the raypeatforum and I can't find much if any discussion on water filtration. I thought this would be a more widely discussed topic considering the presence of all the endocrine disruptors, fluoride, heavy metals etc that are found in the water supply.

Two other interesting aspects are the remineralization of the water with magnesium bicarbonate. Given how difficult it can be to get magnesium into the body and how most people are deficient this sounds like a good way to get more in the body.

Would love to know peoples thoughts and experience with regards to this product and water filtration in general.

STAGE 1 - 5 MICRON
This high capacity filter removes dust, particulates, and rust sediments measuring over 5 microns from the water. Made of 100% pure polypropylene fibers.

STAGE 2, 3 - KDF + CARBON
KDF Increases life of activated carbon by 4-5 times. Reduces chlorine, heavy metals, and bacteria. CARBON: Reduces turbidity, chlorine, chloramines, organic contaminates, pesticides, and chemicals.

STAGE 4 - HIGH EFFICENCY REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANE
Utilizing an ECO friendly 1:1 waste to recovery process, this stage removes undesirable contaminants and pollutants down to .001 microns in size (by comparison, the size of most bacteria is about .5 microns / virus about .05 microns). However, RO does not remove acids (which are liquids and gasses) i.e. sulfuric and nitric acids (acid rain), hydrofluorosilicic acid (industrial waste fluoride), hypochlorous and hydrochloric acids (chlorine reactions), haloacetic acid (chlorine and bromine reactions). If you do not remove the acids, you will drink them. NOT GOOD!

STAGE 5, 6 – DUAL DEIONIZATION
Two Unique Proprietary Laboratory Grade Cation and Anion Resin Filters remove the remaining trace contaminants (i.e. heavy metals) as well as all the invasive bad acids that pass-through STAGE 4.

STAGE 7 – REMINERALIZATION
In this stage the number of beneficial ions is increased in the water. This results in a high pH and a low controlled TDS comprised of magnesium bicarbonate with traces* of calcium and sodium bicarbonate, as well as silica and chloride.

STAGE 8 – COCONUT CARBON
Enhances flavor and removes odors while polishing the water to perfection. This carbon filter is made from coconut shell that has undergone a steam activation process to create its activated carbon form with micro-pores. During activation, it creates millions of pores at the surface of the carbon, thus increasing the total surface area.

STAGE 9, 10 - RESTRUCTURING + RECHARGING
In this final stage the water is run over lodestones and quartz crystals simulating the properties of a living stream. This naturally restructures, recharges, and reprograms what was once damaged water into the purest water on planet Earth since The Industrial Revolution.

*Trace minerals as well as their values will vary with various source water chemistry.

Under-Counter (WRS-UC4)

under-counter-1mobile_1024x1024.png
Curious, I hear RO has a bacteria issue in the tanks. Have you studied this?

InChristAlone

RealNeat

Thats why it's good to have a post tank inline filter.
except itll do nothing for their bacterial byproducts (like endotoxins), which imo is a bigger issue.

InChristAlone

except itll do nothing for their bacterial byproducts (like endotoxins), which imo is a bigger issue.
Nothing? I'm not sure about that. The RO membrane itself removes most of the contaminants so if anything is growing in the tank I would suppose its the result of contamination and the post tank filter with activated carbon would remove the rest. Residential users do not have the capabilities to remove 100%. Even distilled leaves some of the volatile chemicals that I am more worried about than a tiny tiny amount of bacterial contamination we get everywhere in pretty much everything even our own body.

RealNeat

Nothing? I'm not sure about that. The RO membrane itself removes most of the contaminants so if anything is growing in the tank I would suppose its the result of contamination and the post tank filter with activated carbon would remove the rest. Residential users do not have the capabilities to remove 100%. Even distilled leaves some of the volatile chemicals that I am more worried about than a tiny tiny amount of bacterial contamination we get everywhere in pretty much everything even our own body.
I'm not sure if carbon does, I was more so thinking of UV post purifier. Good distillers like AquaNui remove the VOCs via pre condensation vents and post filters. I have a podcast on it on Primitive Initiative Podcasts. Distillers are more effective in every sense of the word for today's contaminants and the prevention of water/ material waste.

InChristAlone

I'm not sure if carbon does, I was more so thinking of UV post purifier. Good distillers like AquaNui remove the VOCs via pre condensation vents and post filters. I have a podcast on it on Primitive Initiative Podcasts. Distillers are more effective in every sense of the word for today's contaminants and the prevention of water/ material waste.
How much is your electric bill though? That was my main reason for not getting one. Using lots of electricity just to make one gallon of water compared to using up water to make RO. Water costs less than electricity.

RealNeat

How much is your electric bill though? That was my main reason for not getting one. Using lots of electricity just to make one gallon of water compared to using up water to make RO. Water costs less than electricity.
30 cents a gallon... you're not just using water, you are also using 3 separate filters (at least) that need to be replaced at specific times depending on water contamination. Many people also need water pumps because of water pressure issues.

Here is the article I wrote about the Pristine Hydro which uses RO as its base filtration process, but it (the article) applies to many RO systems.

InChristAlone

30 cents a gallon... you're not just using water, you are also using 3 separate filters (at least) that need to be replaced at specific times depending on water contamination. Many people also need water pumps because of water pressure issues.

Here is the article I wrote about the Pristine Hydro which uses RO as its base filtration process, but it (the article) applies to many RO systems.

Not convinced! I got my RO system from my Dad for Christmas. It has 5 stages. The RO membrane needs to be replaced every 2 yrs which is roughly 50 dollars. The pre filters every 6 months which isn't a big deal for me, the post filter less often because it sees very clean water, but I'd probably do once a year. And the cost to produce the water costs pennies. That distiller you are promoting is over 500 dollars plus the cost to run it. Thats a big deal. I'd need to see testing of the finished product to know if that tiny little filter is capturing all the VOC's which like I said is my main concern. Colon cancer is associated with chlorine. The main reason I filter my water is because of fluoride and chlorine, not bacteria.

RealNeat

Not convinced! I got my RO system from my Dad for Christmas. It has 5 stages. The RO membrane needs to be replaced every 2 yrs which is roughly 50 dollars. The pre filters every 6 months which isn't a big deal for me, the post filter less often because it sees very clean water, but I'd probably do once a year. And the cost to produce the water costs pennies. That distiller you are promoting is over 500 dollars plus the cost to run it. Thats a big deal. I'd need to see testing of the finished product to know if that tiny little filter is capturing all the VOC's which like I said is my main concern. Colon cancer is associated with chlorine. The main reason I filter my water is because of fluoride and chlorine, not bacteria.
Did you read my article or listen to my podcast?

how about all that plastic the water runs through in RO, including the membrane its self, not to mention the plastic lining in the holding tank. How about the materials, adhesives and other manufacturing impurities of the filters themselves? The purer the water the more it leeches out what it touches. Ever tasted store bought distilled water? it literally tastes like pure plastic. Both fluoride and chlorine are not completely removed by RO considering one can literally taste/ smell the chlorine in the final product, now your 5 stage may be different but thats not really pure RO anymore is it... its RO plus 4 other filtration methods. RO tests are done with brand new filters and the performance falls off immediately after use. Distillers dont fall off in performance unless never cleaned of scale with simple vinegar.

The little carbon filter isnt a big deal on distillers, its not even really needed as most of the VOCs escape from vents pre condensation and it never boils dry so the contaminants never go above boiling temp, which is in its self a purification method, in the distillation industry these are called the tops and bottoms. Their numerous test results are very impressive and provided on their website. The small carbon filter is small becuase most if not all of the VOCs are gone by the time it touches the carbon. When gasses are heated even if heavier than air will rise, simply because they are hot.

The distiller is completely stainless steel and made in the US, Ive had mine for a decade and many people have had them for 30+ years thats why they cost that much. Id like to remind you that the filter being promoted on this thread is $2,000...

Many of the people who debated with me over the years went to distillation, especially recently when companies werent able to source the filters needed for their RO systems because of supply chain issues. With a distiller if you have electricity , you have pure water. I even have fire powered distillers that work well. I used to drink and use RO from a store who kept up with the replacements religiously I felt like crap on it and got chlorine sensitivity symtpoms. I got my own RO system, 3 stage... same thing. After tasting distilled id never go back, its almost sweet tasting and very slippery like Fiji water but without silica. Distillation also reduces deuterium which ive never seen another filtration system do.

Last edited: