Prior to 1970, normal BP was 170/98.

David PS

I read this today. I don't trust the source so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if it's true

@yerrag @Doc Sandoz @haidut @Lollipop2

The systolic number (170) seems high to me. Here is an article from 1950. From the abstract - The various figures now in use—140, 150 or 160 mm. of mercury systolic and 90 to 100 mm. of mercury diastolic—are arbitrary, particularly when age is concerned.

David PS

Thanks @David PS I can't access the full article but the abstract is still useful.
Here is another article. It is 1964. The first paragraph is interesting.

OP
P

Peatness

Thank you @David PS I've just read your second article, looking at the third one now. Just noticed it's a book. Will take a bit of time to get through it. Cheers

Thank you @Grapelander

Last edited by a moderator:

incrp

I was taught back in 70s rule of thumb 100 plus their age.

ironfist

It's as if they can't change things as they get preferable information.

Wait, is the discussion here that elevated blood pressure only used to be higher (fun fact), or that it's somehow better or more normal?

youngsinatra

I can‘t find the study I once read that showed that a group of today‘s hunter and gatherer tribes had linearly lower blood pressure as they got older. And their median blood pressure was like 100/60 or so.

yerrag

Wait, is the discussion here that elevated blood pressure only used to be higher (fun fact), or that it's somehow better or more normal?

I would say that letting the body decide its blood pressure is better. So if it is high, there is an underlying reason it is high, and the reason is that the higher bp is the body's natural adaptation to cope with an underlying issue. Since a lot of times the underlying issue is hard to determine, or if it has been determined but to cure it is difficult, it would still be better to leave the blood pressure as is. As to lower the bp artificially is to interfere with the body's wisdom.

Nobody ever noticed this but I did since I have very high bp currently at 200/130. When I am feeling sick, my bp goes down but so does my metabolism. When I check my personal ECG, my QTc value goes high, which means I'm hypothyroid. It makes me wonder what happens to people's thyroid state when they take bp medication to lower their bp. Now, if they become hypothyroid as a result of continually taking bp drugs, will there be more harm done? I believe so. As the thyroid is central to good metabolism, and good metabolism is key to good acid base balance and good blood sugar balance. Good metabolism is the source of internal energy, which strengthens our immunity. A person taking hypertensive medication may just be prone to overweight, obesity, tachycardia, calcification, etc.

People are trading their overall health for the appearance of health based on having lower and "normal" blood pressure by taking bp medication wantonly, on the wanton advice of the medical establishment. It is absurd when you think about the many people who are required to take bp medication in order to pass their blood pressure medical test in order to qualify for healthcare and life insurance. They have to get more sick to qualify for such stupid insurance scams.

Last edited:

Grapelander

When I am feeling sick, my bp goes down
I think blood pressure medicine is a 'gateway drug' for the medical industry.
Every person I know that takes bp meds ends up on even more medicine.
Plus they start the sodium restriction which creates it's own issues.
They keep lowering the numbers to create more customers.

Your right because you can't get any medical treatment without 'checking your vitals'.
I stopped my preventative visits because I could see it was all about trying to get me on meds.
Zero respect for any doctor pushing statins also. 1, 2, 3.

TheCodez

Your right because you can't get any medical treatment without 'checking your vitals'.
I stopped my preventative visits because I could see it was all about trying to get me on meds.
Holy cow! You are spot-on. This is exactly what happened to me when I was 20 and the death spiral of pharma intervention that followed really messed me up.

-Luke-

True. The last time I saw a doctor was in 2015. Was there for a possible allergy situation. She took my blood pressure at the beginning and said it was "a little too high". She recommended that I buy a blood pressure monitor and take it every day. I borrowed one from my mother and measured every now and then. Blood pressure was always normal or even on the lower side. A week later or so I went back there and she said the blood pressure was too high again and wrote me a prescription for a blood pressure medication. I told her that my blood pressure has always been normal or on the lower side when I measured it myself. She insisted on the prescription. I threw the prescription in the trash immediately after I left the doctor's office and that was the last time I saw one from the inside.

Shows you that this is just crazy. A (at that time) 28-year-old goes to the doctor for something unrelated to blood pressure. Doctor writes a prescription for blood pressure medicine based on two single measurements, ignoring ~8-10 measurements between that. F*** them.

Peatful

Mike wolff

I would say that letting the body decide its blood pressure is better. So if it is high, there is an underlying reason it is high, and the reason is that the higher bp is the body's natural adaptation to cope with an underlying issue. Since a lot of times the underlying issue is hard to determine, or if it has been determined but to cure it is difficult, it would still be better to leave the blood pressure as is. As to lower the bp artificially is to interfere with the body's wisdom.

Nobody ever noticed this but I did since I have very high bp currently at 200/130. When I am feeling sick, my bp goes down but so does my metabolism. When I check my personal ECG, my QTc value goes high, which means I'm hypothyroid. It makes me wonder what happens to people's thyroid state when they take bp medication to lower their bp. Now, if they become hypothyroid as a result of continually taking bp drugs, will there be more harm done? I believe so. As the thyroid is central to good metabolism, and good metabolism is key to good acid base balance and good blood sugar balance. Good metabolism is the source of internal energy, which strengthens our immunity. A person taking hypertensive medication may just be prone to overweight, obesity, tachycardia, calcification, etc.

People are trading their overall health for the appearance of health based on having lower and "normal" blood pressure by taking bp medication wantonly, on the wanton advice of the medical establishment. It is absurd when you think about the many people who are required to take bp medication in order to pass their blood pressure medical test in order to qualify for healthcare and life insurance. They have to get more sick to qualify for such stupid insurance scams.
How many is the underlining cause excess stimulants caffeine,pre workouts , etc

GTW

True. The last time I saw a doctor was in 2015. Was there for a possible allergy situation. She took my blood pressure at the beginning and said it was "a little too high". She recommended that I buy a blood pressure monitor and take it every day. I borrowed one from my mother and measured every now and then. Blood pressure was always normal or even on the lower side. A week later or so I went back there and she said the blood pressure was too high again and wrote me a prescription for a blood pressure medication. I told her that my blood pressure has always been normal or on the lower side when I measured it myself. She insisted on the prescription. I threw the prescription in the trash immediately after I left the doctor's office and that was the last time I saw one from the inside.

Shows you that this is just crazy. A (at that time) 28-year-old goes to the doctor for something unrelated to blood pressure. Doctor writes a prescription for blood pressure medicine based on two single measurements, ignoring ~8-10 measurements between that. F*** them.
"White coat syndrome." Going to the doctor raises your blood pressure.

DennisX

I’m in my 70s. My BP in the morning is usually 170/85. When I workout, or go for a long walk or have sex my BP drops down to 110-120 / 70 when measured an hour later

when ever I go to the DRs office my BP goes to 195/85 sometimes 200/90. “White coat BP”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals