Principles Of Human Physiology (1920)

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks @Amazoniac, I really enjoyed learning this new (to me) scientific term.
Blossom, I forgot to mention that if you search on that engine and many results appear, even after applying filters, you can edit the page that you want directly on the address bar, so you jump to the desired published date. As you scroll down, you'll understand what I mean..

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom, I forgot to mention that if you search on that engine and many results appear, even after applying filters, you can edit the page that you want directly on the address bar, so you jump to the desired published date. As you scroll down, you'll understand what I mean..
Thanks guru, this is very helpful.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Have you seen this? It's pretty comprehensive, but I haven't read enough of it yet. It doesn't seem to have that unifying narrative common to old books, but it's massive.
I'm not sure if I'm going to quote it because I want to keep the Ctrl, C and V keys on my keyboard intact.

Endocrinology and metabolism (1922) - vols.: 1 2 3 4 5
Someone after supplemental thyroid (Vol. 1 - Hypothyroidism):
"I stepped from out the world of shadows and uncertainties into the bright sunlight of vivid human existence, astounded beyond words to think and feel as a normal man again. Each day teems with delightful experiences of a renewed existence." :ss

Have you seen this? It's pretty comprehensive, but I haven't read enough of it yet. It doesn't seem to have that unifying narrative common to old books, but it's massive.
I'm not sure if I'm going to quote it because I want to keep the Ctrl, C and V keys on my keyboard intact.

Endocrinology and metabolism (1922) - vols.: 1 2 3 4 5

In the presence of air, solutions of adrenalin gradually oxidize and
take on a pink color. This occurs rapidly in alkaline solution or in the
presence of oxidizing agents, oxidases, etc. (Abderhalden and Guggen-
heim; Neuberg(c), Gessard).

In contact with iodin solutions, adrenalin solutions take on a rose
or pink color, much as they *do from long standing in the air, so that
this color change is presumably due to oxidation (Lepinois). :ss2

Makrosky

Someone after supplemental thyroid (Vol. 1 - Hypothyroidism):
"I stepped from out the world of shadows and uncertainties into the bright sunlight of vivid human existence, astounded beyond words to think and feel as a normal man again. Each day teems with delightful experiences of a renewed existence." :ss
They were using thyroid supps back then in 1922?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

From a Ray's past newsletter:
"The intestine is a source of toxins, and some studies have found considerable life extension by keeping the intestine free of bacteria. At the beginning of the 20th century, Élie Metchnikoff (The Nature of Man, 1894, Prolongation of Life; Optimistic Studies, 1907) believed, basing his ideas on comparative biology, that intestinal toxins caused aging by disrupting the immune and endocrine systems' functions in tissue maintenance and renewal. He noticed that the intestine of short-lived herbivores such as rabbits had a strong odor of putrefaction and a great variety of bacterial species, but that the intestines of long-lived birds such as parrots and ravens had no unpleasant smell, even when he had fed the ravens with rotting meat, and contained only a few species of bacteria.

Metchnikoff's ideas about intestinal toxins as a source of sickness and aging were widely attacked in US medical journals. In 1907 he wrote "Even at present there are critics who regard me as incapable of sane and logical reasoning.”

Also: Immunity in Infective Diseases

@haidut and @tyw might be interested.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

From the second reference:
upload_2016-12-3_17-50-51.png

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
charlie, if uploads like these demand too much of the server (over time), let me know and I'll start to transcribe the future ones. It's just that it saves a lot of time.
We should be fine, no worries. Those pics hardly take much space at all, plus I have an optimizer processing them down even more. Carry on. :hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Of course if they are transcribed they will show up in search. :D

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

From the last book:

"Graber observed that the earthworm, which habitually lives in the dark, when placed in a box half of which was covered with a red glass and the other half with a violet glass, at once placed itself under the protection of the red glass, toward which it behaved the same as toward total darkness."

"Auerbach observed that the protoplasm of frogs contracts under the influence of light. The white cells of frog's blood showed more and longer processes in red than in violet light. In red light they were spread out in the form of thin, hardly visible disks (Uskoff)."

"Finsen also noted that the growth of the nails, hair and other epidermal tissues is encouraged by light and hindered by darkness. In his clinic he has noted that patients and nurses who work for a long time with powerful arc lights grow more hair on the arms which are much exposed to the action of light."

"According to Harrington and Learning, red light (short-length heat waves) is most favorable to the movements of the amceba, both the violet and the yellow rays impeding its movements. Englemanu observed contraction of the amoeba on sudden exposure to light, and rapid relaxation of the amoeba when suddenly exposed to darkness."

"Certain animals, as crabs, when painted with dark varnish, are quickly killed, although unaffected by transparent varnish (Heile)."

"Eggs develop more rapidly when exposed to the influence of sunlight than when kept in the dark. This is also true of the larvae of insects."

"Metabolism is unquestionably stimulated by the reflex action set up by the light rays impinging upon the nerve-endings of the skin and retina. Oxidation of living tissues is increased by the action of sunlight (Quincke), while in human beings, as well as in animals, less carbon dioxid is eliminated at night than during the same number of hours of daylight, even though an equal degree of quiet be observed (Pettenkofer and Voit [this guy is basically 19th century's pboy, a lot of books cite him]). Country children, who are more exposed to sunshine than those in the city, are much healthier in appearance and less subject to rickets, tuberculosis and other grave disorders. Cretinism is most frequently found in deep valleys from which the direct rays of the sun are largely excluded. Eskimo women suffer from amenorrhea during the long polar night."

"Light increases the hemoglobin of the red cells. Hemoglobin absorbs light to a considerable degree and in a peculiar manner, as shown by the characteristic absorption bands of the spectrum. Hertel claims that the chemical rays [shorter wavelengths that are not related to heat] cause a splitting off of oxygen from the plasma of the blood and tissues much in the same way as oxygen is set free from plants under the influence of light. He believes that this process affects both animal tissues and bacteria. Quincke demonstrated that under the influence of light the hemoglobin gives off its oxygen more quickly than in the dark. He regards this as a proof that light increases the oxidizing power of the blood, and that thereby the process of oxidation in the human body may be encouraged."

"Borrisow [..] found in his experiments that dogs kept in the light, after a brief decline, gained in weight considerably, and that appetite was increased, while dogs left in darkness showed no gain in weight."

"Penetrating luminous heat rays act not only upon the connective tissue, muscular and nerve cells with which they come in contact, but also upon the red and white blood-cells, circulating in the vessels. As these short heat rays are able to penetrate to a depth of two inches or more, it is evident that the blood circulating through the larger arterial and venous trunks is brought under their influence as well as the blood-cells moving through the smaller vessels. Through its rapid movement through the blood-vessels, the entire volume of blood in the body may be thus exposed to the stimulating influence of thermic rays within a comparatively short time. As a result, the functional activities of both the white and the red cells may be greatly stimulated. The oxidation of waste matters will thus be greatly increased, while the destruction of phagocytic bacteria and of debris resulting from accident or by disease will be greatly stimulated. Clinical experience shows that blood production is also increased. This explains the wonderful influence of the sun-bath, recognized from the most aracient times as a powerful stimulant to the vital functions."

"One of the most important applications of phototherapy is based upon the destructive influence of light, or the actinic ray, upon pathogenic bacteria. The deterrent influence of sunlight upon fungi and other plants of low organization has long been known. Many parasitic fungi are easily killed by it. Some bacteria which resist strong solutions of germicides, and even prolonged boiling temperature, are quickly killed by exposure to light. Koch showed that the tubercle bacillus perishes on exposure to the sun's rays, and Kitasato demonstrated that light is destructive to the plague bacillus."

"Experiments made with tetanus germs showed that they were more readily killed by direct sunlight than by a one to one-thousand solution of bichloride of mercury. The virulence of many pathogenic germs is attenuated if they are kept in the light. Diffused light acting during a long period is destructive to germs, but nearly all bacteria perish quickly when exposed to the direct influence of the sun's rays. The germicidal property of the chemical ray makes it without doubt the most powerful of nature's disinfecting agencies. If it were not for this agency, the earth would quickly become uninhabitable through the rapid development of death-dealing organisms."

"Buchner examined the water of the river Isar before it enters Munich, at different hours. The highest figure was obtained at 4 a. m.,— 520 bacteria per cubic centimeter. The lowest figure was found at 8 p. m.,— only five bacteria per cubic centimeter, showing the result of the day's exposure to the sunlight."

"Procaccini exposed to sunlight sewer water containing 300,000 to 420,000 bacteria per cubic centimeter. After a day's exposure the water was sterile."

"Bacteria are readily killed by light at the surface of the soil, although twenty inches below the surface they may resist destruction for four or five months."

"Downes and Blunt, Arloing, d'Arsonval, Bie, Dieudonne, Finsen, Charrin and others have demonstrated that it is the most refrangible rays of light which possess bactericidal properties, chiefly the ultra-violet rays. A few drops of anthrax culture were spread upon a gelatin plate and covered with a glass upon which had been pasted several pieces of black paper. The plates were then exposed to light. The anthrax cultures developed only under the black paper."

"The maximum bactericidal energy is found by experiment in the middle third of the ultra-violet region of the spectrum. The penetrating power of the various rays is found to be in inverse proportion to their [direct] bactericidal and chemical power."

"The incandescent light has very slight effect in direct bactericidal action. Any favorable influence of incandescent light treatment on bacterial diseases must be explained by the indirect action of light rays in stimulating metabolism and in increasing leucocytosis and phagocytosis. Incandescent lamps give out very few chemically active rays."

"Schamberg thinks that light would doubtless have been more used as an auxiliary therapeutic measure had not the suddenly established reputation of the X-ray thrown the milder-acting actinic rays into the shadow. The X-ray produces important and profound changes in the cells and tissues, and when judiciously applied represents a wonderful therapeutic weapon. But it is also capable of doing great harm, even irremediable, when improperly used. On the other hand, light energy, although much slower and milder in its effect, is perfectly safe."

@haidut, for you that quote a lot of things:
""
Copy, paste
""
""
""
""
:ss

Last edited:

Atman

Thanks for your work Amazoniac.

Added them to my digital library.
It's really tragic to think about where we could be , if academic biology (or academia in general) hadn't gone down the drain after the second world war.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Added them to my digital library.
Cool! I was ready to post this link. Oo o

--
"[..]the peculiar and excellent quality of the electric light bath here emphasized is always in operation to a greater or less extent; but to secure the full benefit of this special property of the electric light, measures must be taken to promote the cooling of the skin surface during the application. This may be accomplished in several ways. A simple means always available is the cooling of the surface by rubbing over it at frequent intervals a piece of ice, or quickly wiping it off with a sponge or cloth dipped in cold water. This method may be used in connection either with the arc light or the photophore. This is an extremely practical and useful measure, as it may be employed under any circumstances." [This only applies when the method of the light therapy produces excessive heat on the surface, becoming unbareable before attaining the desired internal benefits; as described in the book.]

"By employing cooling measures so as to prevent overheating of the skin, the intensity of the light application may be greatly increased, and thus the effects upon the deeper lying tissues may be very considerably enhanced. The writer considers the combination of skin cooling with thermic stimulation of the deep-lying structures a most important advance in the light-therapy of chronic disorders. This measure is found particularly valuable in the treatment of a large class of cases suffering from chronic toxemia as the result of intestinal autointoxication. It is of equal value in the treatment of diabetes, obesity and various diatheses and cachexias."

"It is undoubtedly true that radiant heat penetrates the tissues much better than conducted heat, and it is very probable also that the inner life of the cell is influenced by the radiant heat, either qualitatively or quantitatively, and to a higher degree. All the effects of the vapor bath can be produced by the electric-light bath. The loss of carbonic acid gas is considerably greater in the electric-light bath than in the vapor bath, and what is especially remarkable, perspiration occurs very quickly and at a very low temperatrue, and is very profuse."

"Recent physiological experiments have shown that the elevated temperature in febrile conditions is one of the methods by which nature combats the causes of disease, or neutralizes some of the morbid conditions resulting from disease. The physiological effects of the electriclight bath may exercise in many cases a strongly curative influence by the elevation of the body temperature, thereby enabling it to produce antitoxins, or to render effective the curative efforts instituted by the vis medicatrix naturae.
As a prophylactic, this bath also possesses a high value, especially for persons who live a sedentary life, as teachers, doctors, lawyers, preachers, judges, and professional men generally, and to a still greater degree for the majority of women, as it is the best substitute for muscular activity in the open air."

"Sweating by the electric-light bath, while not a complete substitute for the sweating produced by exercise, certainly comes nearer to being so than any other sweating process; and when followed by some vigorous cold application, as the cold bath, possesses a hygienic value which cannot be overestimated."

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

A few more for members that are not traumatized by neighbors playing John Lennon's songs:
Note: whenever "arc light" is mentioned, it's emulating sunlight.

"DIABETES
This is a disease of diminished oxidation. General applications of the electric light are of special value in stimulating the oxidation processes of the body. The penetrating thermic rays increase oxidation by exciting the activity of the thermogenic tissues in the muscles; hence it is important that the light should be applied in such a way as to reach the largest possible area of the muscular structures."
"Light applications in diabetes should be made daily, and the duration should be fifteen to thirty minutes. Strong patients may receive two applications daily. There is creditable data for believing that under the influence of the electric-light bath, sugar oxidation may be increased to such a degree as to burn up the sugar at the rate of at least an ounce every thirty minutes."

"CONSTIPATION
This is perhaps the most prevalent of all disorders among civilized people, and is probably a more prolific cause of chronic disease than any other. The autointoxication which necessarily results from the too long retention of putrefying food remnants in the intestine lays the foundation for degeneration of blood-vessels, nerves, glands and every bodily tissue, and thus becomes a veritable mother of maladies. Bright 's disease, degenerations of the liver, spleen, arteriosclerosis, apoplexy and a multitude of other maladies are attributed by Combe and other authorities to the intestinal autointoxication which results from constipation.
The electric-light bath is capable of rendering very great service in the treatment of this condition. The general electric-light bath aids greatly in the elimination of the toxins with which the tissues of constipated persons are saturated. Light baths also stimulate the oxidation of these waste and toxic matters. It should be remembered, however, that prolonged sweating tends to produce constipation ; hence the sweating bath should be preceded and followed by copious water drinking; an extra glass or two of cold water should be taken at night before retiring and on arising in the morning." @mayweatherking

"MIGRAINE
This disease is generally due to intestinal autointoxication in combination with a special susceptibility or predisposition of the nervous system. Intestinal autointoxication must be combated by an antitoxic diet, discarding flesh foods entirely, by the use of ordinary buttermilk or yogurt buttermilk, yogurt tablets, and especially by stimulating the intestinal activity. There is generally a foul condition of the tongue, and putrid stools are usually encountered in these cases. No permanent relief can be obtained until these conditions are removed. Tonic applications of the electric-light bath may be made two or three times a week."

"BALDNESS— ALOPECIA AREATA
This condition is generally curable when the scalp is still covered with a fine growth of hair ; but if the scalp is smooth and shiny, very little good will result from the treatment. It is often worth while, however, to make a trial. The application should be sufficiently intense to produce decided hyperemia of the scalp or so-called sunburn. The application should be made two or three times a week, and should be continued for several months.
Kromayer, employing an arc light (15 to 25 amperes current) at a distance of four to ten centimeters, exposures one-half to ten minutes for each area, claims most excellent results. He treated thirty-three cases, thirteen mild cases (hair lost on less than half of the head), and twenty severe cases (hair lost more than half or almost completely). The milder cases were nearly all completely cured. A few relapses were induced. Of the twenty cases, fifteen were treated with good results, only five with negative results, and four of the five were cases of total alopecia. Some of these twenty severe cases had lasted for years. In one, a man of fifty, total alopecia had existed for twenty-five years. After twenty-seven treatments the hair was restored to normal, except over the temples, where it was still thin. Kromayer employed an iron electrode without pressure lens.
Finsen noted that the bare arms of nurses giving the Finsen light treatment showed increased development of hair. This has been repeatedly observed.
Assfalg cured three cases of alopecia areata with an average of fifteen sittings, one-half hour to an hour duration. The cases had lasted for a year and had resisted other treatment.
Axmann reported cures of alopecia under light treatment.
Meyer agrees with Kromayer that fine hair tips begin to be visible after one treatment. In experiments made in order to find out whether light was the exclusive factor, Meyer compared persons treated by the light with those not under treatment. He concluded that the chemical rays are the exclusive factor.
Bang and Helm had good results in the phototherapeutic treatment of alopecia areata.
Finsen reported twenty-nine cases : twenty-two recoveries ; one under treatment ; six treatment suspended.
Jersild treated six patients, with no relapse.
Noire treated fifty cases. He found the light treatment most successful when the areas were limited and the skin thin.
Morris treated one case. New hair grew on the areas treated. The regrowth was not permanent.
Sabouraud attributes the effect of the light treatment of alopecia to the local congestion produced."

"ACNE
Most brilliant results are always obtainable in this disease. A decided solar erythema should be produced. When the skin peels off, the acne will be found greatly improved. Persevering efforts will effect a cure.
Attention must be given to the diet. Meat and animal fats with the exception of butter must be avoided. The bowels must be moved once or twice daily. The putrid state of the stools which nearly always exists must be corrected by a strict antitoxic diet. The light applications should be made daily or every other day.
Assfalg found acne to be favorably influenced by phototherapy. He prefers light treatment to X-rays. Two patients with acne rosacea were considerably improved with three treatments. One has been cured six months.
Meyer obtained good results in severe cases of acne indurata. The acne nodules under the influence of the hyperemia become reabsorbed.
Loeb reported eight cases treated by means of phototherapy, all of which were cured." @bohogirl