Primary writing tremor

Gustav3Y

Anyone battled with it or having experience with it?
I have a relative which seems to get worse and worse as years go by, now in 60s.

There are no other types of tremors, hands do not shake at all, just when having to use the hand for something precise like writing or using a mouse precisely on a pc.
Does not manifest any body agitation, would get asleep all of the sudden rather than manifest physical agitation.

I am really curious what could help with those writing tremors/inaccuracy with hands.

Phosphor

Sounds like it could be task-specific focal dystonia. If so, it is harmless if a hassle. I have musician's dystonia, also task-specific. Worth looking up to see if it fits. With TSFD, the harder you try to control it the worse it gets. Staying away from the task for a period of time can result in zero symptoms the first time you go back to the task, with symptoms re-manifesting after you say "oh wow I can do this again." TSFD is a brain path /plasticity problem.

OP
G

Gustav3Y

Sounds like it could be task-specific focal dystonia. If so, it is harmless if a hassle. I have musician's dystonia, also task-specific. Worth looking up to see if it fits. With TSFD, the harder you try to control it the worse it gets. Staying away from the task for a period of time can result in zero symptoms the first time you go back to the task, with symptoms re-manifesting after you say "oh wow I can do this again." TSFD is a brain path /plasticity problem.
I see.
As far as I know recently even asks people to hand write stuff for him because of letters going all all kind of directions.
Same issues with the mouse, or doing fine lines using a brush.
As far as I know he doesn't really do much with hands anyway (writing only occasionally), but when he does is a problem.
Something like driving seems to cause no problems as far as I see and he does driver regularly, but it may be only my impression.

I wonder if it can be too much cholinergic activity? Probably not.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Consider evaluating after taking an anticholinergic. Something like Benadryl should be an easy trial. If no or minor changes are seen, try cyproheptadine just as an evaluation. If either show an improvement, look into Hans' write up.

OP
G

Gustav3Y

Yeah, the conflicting thing the man is already half-asleep through the day often, also moderate apathetic, if I suggest cypro those have to get worse, will get more sleepy more apathetic, then he will not really take into my suggestions.
But surely cyproheptadine could antagonize most of the cholinergic activity. Ironically I have been told by some doctors that not long ago they used to give it to children to reduce their hyperactivity and get them to sleep.

Giraffe

Anyone battled with it or having experience with it?
I have a relative which seems to get worse and worse as years go by, now in 60s.

There are no other types of tremors, hands do not shake at all, just when having to use the hand for something precise like writing or using a mouse precisely on a pc.
Does not manifest any body agitation, would get asleep all of the sudden rather than manifest physical agitation.

I am really curious what could help with those writing tremors/inaccuracy with hands.
I know someone who has this kind of tremors. I think it's called essential tremor. Physicians prescribe beta blockers to control the symptoms, but these lower the blood pressure. Since the blood pressure is already low he didn't try it. -- I don't know what would help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals