Preventing/Reversing Heart Disease

Reaper242xx

Heart disease has always been in my family history, on both sides, so more then likely if I ever get a disease down life's highway it'll most likely be that. I've really been getting into the Linus Pauling theory which purposed a high dose of vitamin c, lysine, and I think glycine (though some articles don't mention the glycine, others do) would prevent and in some cases reverse heart disease. I'm not big on supplements but I'm wondering if a Peat style diet wouldn't cover most of these areas anyway. Plenty of OJ, dairy, and gelatin would cover those nutrients I would think. I guess the real question would be could those foods provide a therapeutic dose of all those nutrients.

Arnold Grape

He was, I just didn't know if it would be possible to get enough through whole foods.
The answer is no: Check the doses LP was talking about and compare your findings with what you might track on a site like Cronometer. There are some helpful posts here on Vitamin C usage and virtually everyone who experiments with large doses of talks about augmenting that with what you might already consume in food. I think a helpful tip is taking a supplement away from food sources because one can only absorb so much of that vitamin at once.

Lurker

From a Peat perspective you can try general metabolic boosters and lower stress, lower estrogen, avoid pufas, supplement urea and vitamin K. There are several articles on his website that deal specifically with the heart and heart disease. Very interesting perspective and info you probably won’t find anywhere else.

Lutzzy

Heart disease has always been in my family history, on both sides, so more then likely if I ever get a disease down life's highway it'll most likely be that. I've really been getting into the Linus Pauling theory which purposed a high dose of vitamin c, lysine, and I think glycine (though some articles don't mention the glycine, others do) would prevent and in some cases reverse heart disease. I'm not big on supplements but I'm wondering if a Peat style diet wouldn't cover most of these areas anyway. Plenty of OJ, dairy, and gelatin would cover those nutrients I would think. I guess the real question would be could those foods provide a therapeutic dose of all those nutrients.

Dr Donald Carrow called himself Dr Hot Pepper, taught us to do a shot glass a day of hot sauce for our heart and respiratory system. one side affect you would lose weight....Mathias Rath also big on Vitamin C....for heart....Ribose is a good sugar for heart function....Tumeric, B vitamins (complex....)Vitamin E...after all that muscle is delivering nutrients and oxygen to all the other cells. So exercise, good breathing techniques, good sleep patterns, less blue light and more full spectrum lighting.......Dr Bergman on you tube is great on physical, emotional, and nutritional health....Less medications more healthy lifestyle.....Chiropractic treatments
not foreign chemicals and drugs to cover up the cause....

fradon

eat a balanced diet of protein carbs and good fat

a study on vegetarians showed they had higher incidence of CVD than meat eaters. Meat provides uric acid which works as an antioxidant similar to vitamin C. infact a paper i read that state perhaps the reason we dont' manufacture our own vitamin c is because we manufacture our own URIC ACID.

since fructose raises uric acid then eating fruit can be helpful.

aquaman

You could argue Ray’s whole approach is geared to preventing heart disease, in the sense that it’s the general health and energy of the organism that governs heart (and other tissue) health.

From: When energy fails: Edema, heart failure, hypertension, sarcopenia, etc.
Ray Peat said:
We are susceptible to many things that interfere with energy production---the substitution of iron for copper in the respiratory enzyme, the absorption of endotoxin, the accumulation of PUFA, a deficiency of thyroid hormone, the formation of increased amounts of nitric oxide, serotonin, and histamine, etc. Different environments will condition the way the defensive mechanisms of inflammation are produced.

The title of that article is “
When energy fails: Edema, heart failure, hypertension, sarcopenia, etc. ”

It’s well worth reading. Goes into salt, aldosterone, adrenaline, cortisol, swelling, FFA oxidation, aspirin, progesterone etc etc. Basically covers his whole view of the organism.