Preventing Presbyopia

Peata

Talking about the eye change that occurs in 40s that makes people need reading glasses, bifocals. Eye doc said I don't seem close to that yet and from tests, my eyes look better than most in that regard (and I'm early 40s), but he implied it's inevitable that at least by late 40s, it happens. Said basically, the lens gets rigid.

What do you think - do you know anyone who's avoided it longer, or have thoughts on it.

I also want to ask you about aging eyes, infant eyes and your research. Tell us about what you were learning about eyes.

Peat: I especially got interested in how the transparency of the cornea lens and vitreous humor, how that works, when I was in Mexico at Lake Patzcuaro. The fish there were transparent, at least they used to be, I think pollution is changing it. In the
market they would pile up fish that were the size of small trouts and even some 8 inches long, others about the size of a cigar - where you could read a magazine cover right through the fish. Absolute transparency. That got me interested in the issue of what makes the sclera or the cornea or the lens able to be transparent even though it has relatively little water. Itʼs a very tough, hard rubbery tissue. And the state of the water is so organized and you have to think about Gerald Pollackʼs research to think about what organization can mean to water, the molecules are lined up such that the quantum energy is organized as it moves through. Theres another very important website - Mae- Wan Ho - called ʻISISʼ The Institute of Science in Society. She writes about the coherence of organisms involving this quantum level organization of water molecules and she has illustrations of the color continuity right through a whole organism showing that the light has to be organized by the organism as a whole, not by individual random atoms. In the lens and the cornea, what this means that, if for example, you have too much inflammation, estrogen, ultraviolet radiation, anything that excites the tissue too much, it lets the water get disorganized. And the water content increases, just the way edema causes water to accumulate in your feet or fingers where it shouldnʼt be. The water accumulates in loose form and thatʼs what causes the opacity of a cataract. Itʼs actually too much water because itʼs out of control and disorganized.

K; Do you think thatʼs because of the dehydration of the atmospheric influence of the eye being dehydrating too quickly because it canʼt keep up - if thereʼs too much water itʼs because the water is dehydrating too quickly (??)

Peat: The proteins are dehydrating, they are loosing the control of the water. So the living substance has lost its water, and the water is accumulating in random places.

K: If the water is swelling, itʼs trying to hold back on the loss of water, so itʼs dehydrating (??)

Peat: The age pigment is involved, itʼs what you see accumulating in spots on old peopleʼs skin. But it starts any time the tissue isnʼt getting enough oxygen, to retain its water the way it should. The PUFA become oxidized and form clumps of this dark orange or brown or black pigment. This wastes oxygen and creates a vicious circle so itʼs definitely accumulating in cells. With enough energy, progesterone and thyroid can energize the cell enough to revers that age pigment. It helps greatly if you use things like milk, orange juice, coconut water, and coconut oil are good. Not—

MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT NUTRITION, Voice of America with Sharon Kleyne, 2013
postby burtlancast » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:00 pm

LucyL

I got my first prescription for bifocals this year at 42, though the eye doctor said it was still "optional". Ha. I am very myopic, so I was only noticing changes through my prescription minus glasses. I've been reading Kaisu Viikari's (http://kaisuviikari.com/wordpress/en/presbyopia/) works for a couple of years now anyway, and wearing plus glasses for reading but not computer work. Unlike most people, I jumped on the bifocals. They are very Viikari. It's clearly a psychological benefit, instead of making me feel older, I feel like I"m finally getting to do something good for my eyes :): Wish I could have gotten them 10 years ago.

OP
Peata

Peata

I have an exam coming up at the end of the month. I'll see what he says this time. Hoping to prevent the lens becoming rigid/waterlogged in the first place.

OP
Peata

Peata

Eye exam today. My eyes checked out great on all the tests for eye health. I mentioned I take aspirin and vitamin K2.

He talked again about the changes to expect in the 40s, with the lens, and eventually needing bifocals. Apparently there's no way to stop it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Eye exam today. My eyes checked out great on all the tests for eye health. I mentioned I take aspirin and vitamin K2.

He talked again about the changes to expect in the 40s, with the lens, and eventually needing bifocals. Apparently there's no way to stop it.
Yeah, I've yet to know of anyone who escaped presbyopia. That's the one thing my mind always returns to when I'm contemplating how much we can really effect the natural aging process. I'm 46 and don't use readers yet but I probably should. I'm glad your vision exam went well Peata.

M

marikay

Yeah, I've yet to know of anyone who escaped presbyopia. That's the one thing my mind always returns to when I'm contemplating how much we can really effect the natural aging process. I'm 46 and don't use readers yet but I probably should. I'm glad your vision exam went well Peata.

There is a company (two eye doctors apparently) who are developing eye drops they say can slow or maybe even reverse presbyopia. I wonder if a combo of magnesium (to relax the eye muscle which becomes weak like most muscles do with aging) and K2 (to fight the calcification of the lens) might help some. And I wonder why bright light helps this problem.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There is a company (two eye doctors apparently) who are developing eye drops they say can slow or maybe even reverse presbyopia.
That sounds exciting! Keep us posted if you learn more.
I wonder if a combo of magnesium (to relax the eye muscle which becomes weak like most muscles do with aging) and K2 (to fight the calcification of the lens) might help some.
I do use k2 and have a magnesium rich diet. Maybe that's why I've been able to get by o.k. without glasses okay so far.:confused2

OP
Peata

Peata

That sounds exciting! Keep us posted if you learn more.

I do use k2 and have a magnesium rich diet. Maybe that's why I've been able to get by o.k. without glasses okay so far.:confused2

What magnesium-rich foods do you eat?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What magnesium-rich foods do you eat?
I drink strong dark roast coffee and add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee to each drip brewed cup to make it stronger plus dairy, meat, seafood and oj.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals