Prevalence Of Nutritional Deficiencies In Hair Loss Among Indian Participants

Queequeg

Since hair loss has a definite genetic component, a nutritional study among a defined genetic sub group should be helpful

Prevalence of Nutritional Deficiencies in Hair Loss among Indian Participants: Results of a Cross-sectional Study

"Participants with hair loss showed varied amino acid and micronutrient deficiencies across all types of hair loss. Nutritional status did not vary much between the types of hair loss. Among the essential amino acids, histidine deficiency was seen in >90% of participants with androgenic alopecia and 77.78% of participants with TE while leucine deficiency was seen 98.15% of participants with TE and 100% with FPHL. Valine deficiency was also very common across alopecia subtypes. Among the nonessential amino acids, alanine deficiency was observed in 91.67% FPHL, 91.18% MPHL, and 90.74% TE. Cysteine deficiency was present in 55.58% and 50% of participants with MPHL and TE, respectively. A relatively higher proportion of participants with TE had iron deficiency compared to androgenic alopecia (P = 0.069). Zinc deficiency was seen in 11.76% of participants with MPHL while copper deficiency was seen in 29.41% and 31.48% of participants with MPHL and TE, respectively."

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

upload_2018-12-3_13-3-29.png

Folate deficiency seems to be highly correlated with 91% in MPHL

PhilParma

Would it be constructive to create a water/alcohol solution with some of those amino acids dissolved in it, and apply it directly on the scalp? Like histidine, leucine, and isoleucine--just spray them right onto the scalp. Waste of time?

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Would it be constructive to create a water/alcohol solution with some of those amino acids dissolved in it, and apply it directly on the scalp? Like histidine, leucine, and isoleucine--just spray them right onto the scalp. Waste of time?
I have no idea. Some amino acids can be absorbed topically but many cant. Of course you could try it with a dermaroller but that may hurt like hell. Probably best to get on chronometer and see were your nutritional intake is.

LCohen

Waste of time.

Instead prepare a solution containing anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories.

Vitamin E, Caffeine, Zinc, Aspirin, Niacinamide, Progesterone, Methylene Blue, Thiosulfate..

PhilParma

@LCohen

I'm currently applying a solution of taurine, histidine, urea. I can remove taurine and histidine if amino acids are a waste of time.

I applied caffeine to my scalp for 2 years but I recently removed it from my solution because I had a big shed and felt the need to make a change.

I don't know how to dissolve a decent amount of aspirin in water with using baking soda, and I don't want to apply baking soda to my scalp.

I have applied niacinamide and progesterone in the past but they didn't seem to help. I might retry niacinamide.

I don't know how I'd apply methylene blue with staining the hair blue. I still have lots of hair, but it's thinning diffusely.

Does MSM increase absorption of other ingredients? I had a pretty huge shed event a month or two ago which coincided with a trial of topical MSM. Maybe it increased absorption of caffeine which wasted protein. I'm hoping caffeine is a problem for me and that if I cut it out my hair will regrow. Probably not, but oh well. My hair has stabilized since cutting out MSM from my topical solution, but I'm one more big shed away from just going to a buzz cut.

Anyway, back on topic--I'm going to start cut out caffeine (protein waster?) and start taking histidine and BCAA orally. I'll let yall know if things improve.

Elephanto

I've seen this study, seems to be a small subset of hair loss that comes from protein deficiency which should be very rare in the Occident. I have a feeling this comes from very very low protein intake as I've had my best hair on around 30g daily (though I do take extra sulphur, Taurine and sometimes Lysine, Glycine and Tyrosine). The Histidine link was very strong though, it at least warranted me adding it to my buylist folder just to experiment. It led me to look up some interesting studies about Histidine. For instance there is its importance in gastric acid secretion and so gut health, which can easily be a root factor causing an hair loss cascade when we consider the wide range of effects from Endotoxins.

Histidine supplementation improves insulin resistance through suppressed inflammation in obese women with the metabolic syndrome: a randomised cont... - PubMed - NCBI

Histidine supplementation alleviates inflammation in the adipose tissue of high-fat diet-induced obese rats via the NF-κB- and PPARγ-involved pathw... - PubMed - NCBI (supressing NF-KB is very interesting, especially when it comes to substances that are stored long-term and result in chronically lower levels of a negative marker)

Oral L-histidine exerts antihypertensive effects via central histamine H3 receptors and decreases nitric oxide content in the rostral ventrolateral... - PubMed - NCBI (I've made several posts linking NO to hair loss in the past, and chronically high Endotoxins = chronically high NO)

Histidine Alleviates Impairments Induced by Chronic Cerebral Hypoperfusion in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-inflammatory and antisecretory potential of histidine in Salmonella-challenged mouse small intestine. - PubMed - NCBI

Interesting testimony : L-Histidine Makes Me Feel Like SUPERMAN

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals